Hawaii Atoms

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
Jul

Hawaii Atoms

Post by Jul » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:58 pm

I had heard that there were 2 atoms in Hawaii.  I was just wondering about the registration.  Any hope at all? 

Perhaps get a touristy excotic car rental place involved.  Do they have any weight with the DMV?

Would love to move here to be near family, but not without our Atom.

Alec

Re: Hawaii Atoms

Post by Alec » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:06 pm

Toby has one but I've just seen this post recently on another thread.  :(

[quote="toby"]
Hey Guage,

I think you're right. Most likely price is what the last 3,4,5 300s sold for. Do we have an idea of what that might be?

Unfortunately, I'm thinking of selling mine now... Haven't been able to register it in Hawaii.
[/quote]
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Jul

Post by Jul » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:29 pm

Yes, I remember his windshield plans.  I was hoping to hear more about it from Toby and perhaps the other Hawaii owner. 

The weather is sooooo prefect for an atom here.

It kills me.  You don't need a helmet to ride a motorcycle here.  I have driven by not only people riding in the back of  pickups this past week in Oahu, but STANDING in the back of the pickup as they cruised down the road.  But Atom's are a no go?  Seems like someone with the right leverage could do something.  Heck, for the tourist industry perhaps. 

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:48 pm

I still think that Brammo harmed the registration process by describing the Atom as a 'Race Car' because any DMV who was researching a vehicle they didn't recognise would automatically go to the manufacturer's site for details.

Hopefully TMI will rectify this point when they have their new site up and running, although it may be a bit late for those DMVs that have already made their decision on whether or not to register the Atom.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:51 pm

My point is made in this post on another thread (I've highlighted a bit for clarity).

[quote="grk"]
Massachusetts has concluded tha Brammo is a motor vehicle manufacturer and as such the vehicle must conform to the National Highway Safety Transportation Board's (NHSTA) National Motor Safety Standards. Airbags,bumpers...Even if I got the owner installed drivetrain this would still be their conclusion. The owners manual (which was online and the RMV read) statement "for off road use only " certainly didn't help.

Unless the state is advised by the NHSTA that the Brammo and the Atom does not fall under federal regulations they will not allow it to be registered under Massachusetts kit car regulations. Massachusetts wants the cover of the federal governments blessing if I kill myself or someone else so they are not liable. I'm not holding my breath that the feds will repond at all.

Massachusetts RMV's point on a motorcycle is that it is approved by NHSTA so even though it is more dangerous it is not their call that it is on the road.
[/quote]

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:35 pm

Im researching this now and it looks limited. 

The only exception to the windshield / bumper rule is the special interest vehicle registration.  And for this it has to have the resemblance to a vehicle made prior to 1968

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurren ... 6_0005.htm

:/

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:50 am

[quote="bolus"]
Im researching this now and it looks limited. 

The only exception to the windshield / bumper rule is the special interest vehicle registration.  And for this it has to have the resemblance to a vehicle made prior to 1968

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurren ... 6_0005.htm

:/
[/quote]

Sort of reminds me of the law against importing a Mini Moke to the Cayman Islands.  I'm told that they would almost for sure apply the Moke law to prohibit the importation of an Atom as well.  If so, I'd get stopped in my tracks even before I managed to get an Atom shipped to the Island.  Not to mention the registration and insurance issues that would be just as tricky if I somehow got through that hoop. 

During the past couple of weeks I've been "grounded" in Idaho Falls while awaiting the repairs to my motorhome.  I've been driving into town every day in the Atom, mostly in 40 mph speed zones.  After a couple of days, it started to get pretty dull.  This experience has put the final nail in the coffin in terms of my hopes of ever getting a second Atom for Cayman where the speed limit is 40 mph nearly everywhere.  You can goose it a wee bit in 2nd gear, but then you hit 40 and need to lay off.  That would be no big deal if there were places I could go to open it up, but not on a little rock like Grand Cayman.  Perhaps the big island in Hawaii is different in this regard.  I've never been there myself, but that's something I'd definitely look into before bringing an Atom there.  You don't want to have 80% of the car's ability tied behind your back all the time.
Last edited by Wmcmanus on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:59 am

That legislation looks to be for replica Model-T, 1932 Coups, etc and other similar era Hot Rods.

Maybe you need to look at something along the lines of open air sports or tour vehicles. e.g. Dune buggys, Mokes or Tuk-tuks.

Car you get the car legalised, if you make a window screen, as sports car. Surely there are Lotus cars in Hawaii.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:03 am

Governor vetoed the dune buggy bill a few years ago.  Toby tried the replica route and failed (though on a different island). 

Alec

Post by Alec » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:18 am

[quote="Wmcmanus"]

Sort of reminds me of the law against importing a Mini Moke to the Cayman Islands.  I'm told that they would almost for sure apply the Moke law to prohibit the importation of an Atom as well.  If so, I'd get stopped in my tracks even before I managed to get an Atom shipped to the Island.  Not to mention the registration and insurance issues that would be just as tricky if I somehow got through that hoop. 

[/quote]

I remember sugesting the Mini Moke to you when you were looking for a 'fun' car last year.

I was at a show last weekend where one of the members of the club I'm in brought his nice, original, un-touched model along.
Attachments
MiniMoke+Me.jpg
MiniMoke+Me.jpg (40.4 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
MiniMoke.jpg
MiniMoke.jpg (80.72 KiB) Viewed 2035 times

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:49 pm

There was a mini moke autocrossing last year at a car show we went to.  that was pretty cool

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:28 pm

Cool pics, Alec.  I remember that suggestion well.  I joined a Moke forum and had some fun with the guys there, telling them I was going to race them in my Atom.  A Moke would be prefect for any small Island because you wouldn't get so frustrated (as you would with an Atom) driving 40 mph.  But Cayman has long since banned the importation of Mokes.  I'm still not sure why but suspect that someone got hurt in one, either there or at another small Island.

Jul

Post by Jul » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:23 am

The Moke looks like a fun car. 

You're right about the low speed limits and not a lot of roads.  Oahu might get a little dull in the Atom.

wisp

Post by wisp » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:20 am

May I suggest for your next project you get some ideas for your Atom from this.....

Mark K

Post by Mark K » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:21 am

[quote="wisp"]
Car you get the car legalised, if you make a window screen, as sports car. Surely there are Lotus cars in Hawaii.
[/quote]
I grew up in Hawaii and I've seen Lotus 7/Caterhams running around.