Massachusetts Registration

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
grk

Massachusetts Registration

Post by grk » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:20 pm

Massachusetts has concluded tha Brammo is a motor vehicle manufacturer and as such the vehicle must conform to the National Highway Safety Transportation Board's (NHSTA) National Motor Safety Standards. Airbags,bumpers...Even if I got the owner installed drivetrain this would still be their conclusion. The owners manual (which was online and the RMV read) statement "for off road use only " certainly didn't help.

Unless the state is advised by the NHSTA that the Brammo and the Atom does not fall under federal regulations they will not allow it to be registered under Massachusetts kit car regulations. Massachusetts wants the cover of the federal governments blessing if I kill myself or someone else so they are not liable. I'm not holding my breath that the feds will repond at all.

Massachusetts RMV's point on a motorcycle is that it is approved by NHSTA so even though it is more dangerous it is not their call that it is on the road.

bolus

Re: Massachusetts Registration

Post by bolus » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:22 pm

too bad,  sounds pretty typical though.  Decisions based on lack of information.  Who ever sued the state after a car accident??

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:02 am

From my experience you shouldn't worry about any DMV pronouncements or decisions. DMVs in most states are so messed up that you could probably register a rocket powered monocycle

grk

Post by grk » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:51 pm

I had a meeting with the head of the RMV and their legal counsel arranged by my state representative after the initial inspection officer denied registration. RMV counsel wrote a four page legal opinion which they also rejected registration. The head of the registry also wrote to NHSTA to confirm the Massachusetts legal opinion. The basis of the RMV's argument is that that they do not consider the Atom to be a kit car based upon previous written decisions by NHSTA on similar vehicles. They also believe Brammo is a manufacturer, as such , Brammo must conform to all applicabe safety standads deemed nessary by the NHSTA. (airbags, bumpers...)The NHSTA has not responded. (I doubt they will). In conclusion, the Atom will not fly under the radar in Massachusetts.
Last edited by grk on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:46 pm

[quote="grk"]
I had a meeting with the head of the RMV and their legal council arranged by my state rep after the initial officers denied registration. They wrote a four page legal opinion which they rejected registration. They also wrote to NHSTA to confirm the Massachusetts decision to deny registration. The basis of their argument is that that they do not consider the Atom to be a kit car based upon previous written decisions by NHSTA on similar vehicles . The NHSTA has not responded. (I doubt they will). The Atom will not fly under the radar in Massachusetts.
[/quote]

ok-if you say so.