New to this board..I will put in my order when the registration process has

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
maverick1

New to this board..I will put in my order when the registration process has

Post by maverick1 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:07 pm

been worked out and after a test drive,  because I really want to drive the car on the road and to the racetrack. Actually, I had a Lotus Elise on order and ended up getting the new Porsche Boxster after a test drive, which I really love. I was thinking of getting a motorcycle in the near future,  but I Atom looks like more fun and is obviously a safer vehicle.
My only concern is buying the Atom in a way that it can be driven on the road. I think most people on this board want to drive it on the road, and this being the case I think that Brammo motorsports will figure out the best way to get the Atom road legal.

Matt F

Re: New to this board..I will put in my order when the registration process has

Post by Matt F » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:46 pm

Welcome. 

It's up to the individual owner to get the car registered.  Most states have provisions for Specially Constructed Vehicles.  What state do you live in?

maverick1

I currently live in NY however I plan on moving to southern California in the

Post by maverick1 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:35 am

near future. I just got back from a trip to CA and it was awesome.
I drove along the PCH north of San Fran and it was the best driving road I have ever driven. From Fort Bragg on the PCH to where it links back up to 101 this road never has a straight section, it just twists and turns all the way. I had a rental car but I wish I had my Boxster. It would be and incredible drive in the Atom. I just hope that other owners get the whole California registration figured out soon, so I can place my order. I will not ge the car unless I can register it for the road.
cheers

p38wannabe

Post by p38wannabe » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:33 am

You are in the same boat most of us are - seems like everyone is waiting for a "first buyer" who will figure out the registration process - I know it has been said many times that the registration process is sole responsibility of the furure owners but I wonder how many people DON'T pull the trigger because of that issue. Anyway, same here, wife gave approval to buy but only if it is proven that it can be registered as street legal vehicle - otherwise it is a BIG NO NO ...  :-\

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:34 am

With the lack of available tracks and a viable "trackday culture" close to home most Americans may feel reluctant to put 50K into a car they have to trailer 100's of miles to a "local" track. No matter how much fun it is. I'm envious of the obvious enthusiasm and plethora of tracks they have in the UK and the many track days and such they hold. Here in the states, unless you have a local road track that hasn't been legislated out of existence or turned into a huge complex that average people can't afford anymore then your pickin's are a lot slimmer. AutoX feels a little of the void but low speed stuff get's boring after awhile. How often can going around a course in a stadium parking lot stem your need for some REAL road time. Thus the conundrum of what to do with the Atom if it can't be licensed for street use. No trailer queens here, no matter how cool the auto may be. I'm not some multi-millionaire that can afford a large kinetic art display in the garage. I feel for you. The waiting to see how easy it's going to be is slowing sales somewhat. Jay Leno has bought one so maybe that will help, pretty sure he'll register it for street use if it can be done. He does like to drive his toys.

p38wannabe

Post by p38wannabe » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:10 am

very well said, although I doubt that "jay" will share how to register it. In my opinion it is all a matter of economics, once a point is reached were it would make financial sense for brammo to sell the cars street legal it will happen - of course this may never happen due to the niche product the Atom represents - but you never know - in my book the Atom is revolutionary in many points but as you said, I want it as a "daily driver" not as a garage queen at least during the spring and fall months here in texas ...  ;D

Bruce Fielding

The registration process...

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:54 am

[quote="p38wannabe"]
I doubt that "jay" will share how to register it...
[/quote]

Why not? It doesn't make sense that he wouldn't share that info with other petrolheads - because make no bones, that's exactly what Jay Leno is - one of us...

And the chances of there being enough orders for Brammo to do the registration are zero. You need to build an awful lot of cars before that's viable.

You could aways move home to somewhere more liberal than 'the land of the free' - that expression  always makes me giggle... you guys have more restrictive legislation that any other 'land' on the planet!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

p38wannabe

Post by p38wannabe » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:32 pm

It would be great if Jay does - and yes it will take a whole lot cars, that was exactly what I meant. Well Bruce, I am actually one of these darn german krauts and I moved from Germany in 1997 to the US of A ... lol ... and I can tell you there is a lot of more "free" to be had here. That said, is it perfect here -NOPE, is it perfect somewhere else -NOPE, in this case you guys in England have the upper hand when it comes to get the Atom street legal or having road courses next by but I, for example am a pilot and it is unreal to become one in England or Europe in general unless you have a whole lot of cash. Here I had to invest $15,000 upfront and actualy got it all back after 2 years just with finding a smart way of doing it - this would have been impossible in europe. Lufthansa wanted $150,000 to do the education without giving a job gurantee ...  :o ...

I don't have to have an Atom right now, do I want one bad - YES, but not that bad, if the circumstances are right, I will buy one and I am sure it will happen sooner or later, just not right now ... CHEERS

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:28 pm

I have quite a few Deutsche mates and do speak the lingo... And I have been to Germany and run and done business there, and I agree that compared to Germany, the good ole US of A must appear pretty liberal!

Just curious... why go all the way to the US when you can get a licence cheaper (at the current exchange rate) and find more people who speak German in South Africa?

For the record, I know this place I live isn't perfect either, but having said that, I'm proud to be a Londoner/ English/ British/ European/ and Human (mostly) in that order...

I will say that as soon as Brammo starts offering test drives, there will be more Americans hooked on 'Automotive Crack' as the Atom has been described, than you could ever possibly imagine, regardless of legality!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

p38wannabe

Post by p38wannabe » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:28 pm

To be honest back in 1996 this was not one of my options, it was either Australia or USA - I looked into living in a lot of different countries, but I choose the USA for a lot of different reasons. I hope that a lot of people will buy the Atom streetlegal or not because that means that sooner or later someone will figure out how to make it legal. Heck I would be even interested in becoming a dealer for Brammo since I am going to open a used car dealer lot next year and I am getting very bored with my current job and my aviation career went south after 9/11, and there is a reaso my wife calls me "Horsepower Slut" ...  ;D

IDSmoker

Post by IDSmoker » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:32 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I will say that as soon as Brammo starts offering test drives, there will be more Americans hooked on 'Automotive Crack' as the Atom has been described, than you could ever possibly imagine, regardless of legality!
[/quote]
Yep... that's what I'm waiting on... as soon I find out for certain that I can fit in an Atom, I intend to pull the trigger... though if it looks like the lead time is beyond 3-6 months, I may hold off a bit longer.  I've never been known for my patience! <grin>

ka mano

twisty heaven, left-coast edition

Post by ka mano » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:32 pm

[quote="maverick1"]

...I drove along the PCH north of San Fran and it was the best driving road I have ever driven. From Fort Bragg on the PCH to where it links back up to 101 this road never has a straight section, it just twists and turns all the way... .

[/quote]

The mph signs, which I translated by dropping the 'zero' and seeing it as a gear-selection guide, are like having a co-driver with course notes!
It's he most fun I've had in a long time!!