Cali registrants

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
Jammer

Cali registrants

Post by Jammer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:44 am

I have a potential buyer for my car in California.  Is there any way to drive the car pre Jan when he tries for an exemption?  Any temp tags available...anyone have a clue?

SteveH

Re: Cali registrants

Post by SteveH » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:04 am

he can get temp plates and attempt to keep renewing them.  No guarantees as to how long they'll renew for.  Also he can expect to get stopped consistently.  I got hassled by cops 3 times in the month before I got my plates.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:20 am

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

What You Need to Know Before Buying a Vehicle from Out-of-State
The Bottom Line

If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here.

Arenâ??t All Vehicles California Certified?

Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold to California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. 50-State or California certified vehicles are made to be sold to California residents.

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?

California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.

Gotta be careful about that 7500 mile thing...
Last edited by nickpoore on Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:20 am

[quote="nicolas"]
Gotta be careful about that 7500 mile thing...
[/quote]

No getting around this one, and don't try. 

Yes, temp permits can be had, and if you're lucky, you can string them along for a long time.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:32 am

So any out of state car with <7500 miles cant be registered?  I dont see the point of that. 

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:53 am

Its pretty easy to add/program a digital dash  ;)    Thanks for the info guys, some nice PMs with ideas and facts came in.  Glad I have an extra MCO... lol

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:56 am

:police: :police: :police: wooowooowooo time to move the thread

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:56 pm

Agreed, it's moved...