Can registration be revoked?

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
1965Cobra427

Re: Once your car is titled, can "they" take the title away?

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:17 pm

Read your state statutes carefully. In Arkansas, it is unlawful for an officer to pull you over simply to determine the car's compliance with regard to bumpers, windshield, etc. While I would not want to challenge an officer with this, it could easily get a traffic stop thrown out of court if it ever went that far.

Many times a trooper will think that he/she knows the vehicle registration requirements, but they really don't. Keep cool (sounds like you did just that), know your state's laws and you will be ahead of the game.

Years ago I did my research on a bogus "bumper height" collar in Ohio and successfully defended it, no attorney needed.

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:31 pm

Taking the title from you could be compared to seizing property - the state probably can't do that without invoking eminent domain.  In California, at least, the state is fully at liberty to say what can and can't be driven on the road, as well as who can and can't drive on the road.  If you're too dangerous a driver, they revoke your license.  I can only extrapolate that if you're driving a too noncompliant car, that they have the right to revoke its registration as well (e.g. the smog check system).

patentshark

Post by patentshark » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:03 pm

i would't really worry about the title (record of ownership).  perhaps you mean registration (permission to use the vehicle on public roads)? 

i bet that they can take away your registration pretty easily if they wanted to.  i would guess its kind of like a driver's license, you break the law and they can take it away. 

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:48 pm

cranius, I agree with all the comments made by the experts above. IF you find any reasons that your Atom may be illegal, it would behoove you to speak with Jason at SEMA  to get more details. IF it is still questionable, I would suggest speaking with a state representative or senator for your state if they are a car enthusiast (read bolus's thread). Don't give him/her too much information until you can determine that they are on your side. Having them write some legislation to help you is a possibility. Of course there are frequently neighboring states that may happily register your Atom. ;)

P.S. I'd be REALLY pissed off if some %$@*& who just so happens to be a  :police: kicked my car. I think I'd be likely to take that to HIS boss! What a J E R K ! >:(
Last edited by rfmarz@frontiernet on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cranius

Post by cranius » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:37 am

Yes, I did mean my registration not my title. Oops. I also didn't see the thread like halfway down the page that discusses this exact same issue. Man, I am not on the ball today! Thanks for all the info, though. Its been really helpful. For now, I'll just play it cool (not hard to do in the Atom ;) ) and let Johnny Law come to me if he wants to take issue. As the tax payer, I'm the boss, right? Hahahah....

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:45 am

I'll merge them if they are similiar enough.

I don't remember where but I beleive the Constitiution or the Bill of Rights grants ALL US citizens the right to free progress throughout the country. Seizing your car registration for a bogus reason is tantamount to canceling your rights to travel freely throughout the country as they rarely let you ride a bicycle or walk along highways. One more point to argue if it ever went that far. I've heard people that don't register their cars, don't get drivers license and stil fight those tickets in court and win by stating the appropriate 'rights' as citizens. of course that sounds flaky to me but I'm just repeating what I heard. An avenue for someone to explore as well to increase the size of the stick when it comes time to break out some whoop-a$$. :)

Driver

Re: Can registration be revoked?

Post by Driver » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:48 am

OK,  merged.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:14 am

DON'T WORRY....BE HAPPY......

jordantii

Post by jordantii » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:43 pm

My 2006 Lotus Elise does not have bumpers. Lotus got an exemption. There are still no front bumpers after the extension expired. The 2007 does have little bumperets but I doubt they do anything at al.