Oregon registration update

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
Alec

Re: Oregon registration update

Post by Alec » Thu May 10, 2007 12:59 am

I hope that hasn't officially sealed the fate of the Atom in America.

I can just see the sequence.

Any state now checking up on what an Atom is will discover that it's legally defined as a 'Racing Activity Vehicle' in Oregon where it is built by a firm called 'Brammo Motorsports'.

They will then come back to you and say. . . . .'So you want to register a race car to use on the street?'. . . . .quickly followed by. . . . .'NO CHANCE!'
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu May 10, 2007 1:06 am

It doesn't say Brammo or Atom in that bill anywhere so no one can directly tie the two together.  But still, I dont think calling this car a race car is going to help anyone. 

Alec

Post by Alec » Thu May 10, 2007 1:42 am

I know that it doesn't actually say Atom in the bill but the description is so precise that it can't apply to any other car.

The only thing I can see that Brammo gets out of it is that they can legally drive unregistered cars on the streets around their factory.

I'm just hoping that they haven't shot themselves in the foot by going along with this.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu May 10, 2007 1:56 am

I doubt Brammo had much say in the wording of the Bill.  They were just suddenly cut off from registration and asked the state officials for help and this is what they came up with.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

It still bugs me how wide the division is for a car and a motorcycle.  No one ever questions the street legality or safety of a motorcycle.  Like the quote from the rep who said he did not want the Atom on the interstate.  Why the hell not?  Is it less safe than a motorcycle?  is it more likely to kill someone else than any other car?  Do they suddenly fly into the air at 65mph?  Does not make sense. 

I really wish I had known about the public hearing that was held on 4/2.  I would have showed up tried to put some sense into the matter. 

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu May 10, 2007 9:56 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
They ammended 3527, it now reads as the same as the newspaper article.[/quote]

That is very bizarre. How did a newspaper reporter come up with the exact restrictions when the published bill went through two subsequent readings without those amendments?

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Fri May 11, 2007 4:58 am

Many state have a kit car law, or a specially constructed vehicle rule set... I think the BEST bet for most people is to order the self-assembly option, perhaps not use the MCO and have the state inspect it as sort of a "kit" car.  Maybe its time to fond some Fiero titles and run with that, perhap use the fiero seats and steering wheel...I dunno.. its gotten so complex !

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri May 11, 2007 5:11 am

Yeah, If someone can get through as an assembled vehicle like Darth and I then that would be preferred.  For someone like DP who would never pass an emmision test then this is at least an option. 

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Fri May 11, 2007 11:36 pm

Most inspectors would never suspect a comapny made this car... it will look homemade to many a set of eyes.  Theres several ways to skin a cat.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat May 12, 2007 12:06 am

[quote="Jammer"]
Most inspectors would never suspect a comapny made this car... it will look homemade to many a set of eyes.  Theres several ways to skin a cat.
[/quote]

Yeah, after hearing someone ask "did you make that" for the hundredth time last weekend it should not be a problem. 

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 15, 2007 4:44 pm

Bill is working its way through the senate:

HB 3527 By Representative BUCKLEY; Senator BATES -- Relating to racing activity vehicles.
03/13 (H) First reading. Referred to Speaker's desk.
03/20 (H) Referred to Transportation.
04/02 (H) Public Hearing held.
04/23 (H) Work Session held.
05/03 (H) Recommendation: Do pass with amendments and be printed A-Engrossed.
05/07 (H) Second reading.
05/08 (H) Third reading. Carried by Buckley. Passed. Ayes, 55; Nays, 1--Schaufler; Excused, 3--Boquist, Cameron, Galizio; Excused for Business of the House, 1--Hunt.
05/09 (S) First reading. Referred to President's desk.
05/14 (S) Referred to Business, Transportation and Workforce Development.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:25 pm

Passed the senate so assuming the governor sign it the law will go into effect 1/1/08. 

http://www.dailytidings.com/2007/0602/s ... brammo.php

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 1/NEWS0102
Last edited by bolus on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:18 pm

Its official

HB 3527 By Representative BUCKLEY; Senator BATES -- Relating to racing activity vehicles.
03/13 (H) First reading. Referred to Speaker's desk.
03/20 (H) Referred to Transportation.
04/02 (H) Public Hearing held.
04/23 (H) Work Session held.
05/03 (H) Recommendation: Do pass with amendments and be printed A-Engrossed.
05/07 (H) Second reading.
05/08 (H) Third reading. Carried by Buckley. Passed. Ayes, 55; Nays, 1--Schaufler; Excused, 3--Boquist, Cameron, Galizio; Excused for Business of the House, 1--Hunt.
05/09 (S) First reading. Referred to President's desk.
05/14 (S) Referred to Business, Transportation and Workforce Development.
05/24 (S) Public Hearing and Work Session held.
05/30 (S) Recommendation: Do pass the A-Eng. bill.
05/30 (S) Second reading.
05/31 (S) Carried over to 06-01 by unanimous consent.
06/01 (S) Third reading. Carried by Atkinson. Passed. Ayes, 26; Absent, 1--Burdick; Excused, 3--Brown, Prozanski, Winters.
06/19 (H) Speaker signed.
06/19 (S) President signed.
06/27 (H) Governor signed.

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:47 am

So it's official that the Atom is a 'Racing Activity Vehicle' and not a 'Road Vehicle' because I stand by what I said earlier.

[quote="Alec"]
I know that it doesn't actually say Atom in the bill but the description is so precise that it can't apply to any other car.

The only thing I can see that Brammo gets out of it is that they can legally drive unregistered cars on the streets around their factory.

I'm just hoping that they haven't shot themselves in the foot by going along with this.
[/quote]

I wonder If Simon was involved in the process of allowing it to proceed down this route or whether Brammo have overstepped the mark by encouraging and assisting it!

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:53 am

I'm hoping that both Simon and Craig are at atomfest so when we are sitting around the campfire we can asked them about all this stuff.  Personally I want to ask simon why they have to use such crappy signal covers. 

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:55 am

As I e-mailed Brammo today, WHY, WHY do you have to say that the Atom is a vehicle constructed specifically for race and track day activities??????? That is SO rediculous!!! Do they realize what they're going to do to their sales when this catches up with them? Why would you say, on a public website (that DOT officials are googling), that the Atom is a F%$#@!^* RACING CAR????????????? It's radically safer than any motorcycle that I know of and is more fuel efficient than anything we have in our family except for a BMW 325 and 525. Seriously, we MUST band together to have any strength in our legislative offices. I'm glad that Oregon, at least,has a start on driving their Atoms on the street! :tu: