Oregon registration update

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
bolus

Oregon registration update

Post by bolus » Tue May 01, 2007 9:15 pm

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /704250315

Bill 3527 passed transportation committee

but, new limitations added

"Jack Evans, of the Oregon Department of Transportation, said a one-time, $38 registration fee would be charged to license each Atom for use on state roads. The high-performance car would be restricted to state highways with a 55 mph speed limit, and could be driven only within a 90-mile radius of a race track or a 30-mile radius of the shop."

How are we going to get to Atomfest?

rfmarz@frontiernet

Re: Oregon registration update

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue May 01, 2007 9:42 pm

I guess if you were within close proximity to the Oregon border you could cross it without repercussions, couldn't you? Are you allowed to drive your Atom in neighboring states? I sure am glad that our gov't. is protecting us! Diaper anyone?

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue May 01, 2007 9:44 pm

I'm sorry but reading that report I have to say it sounds pretty pathetic to me.

It looks like Oregon is trying to do as little as possible, but just enough to entice Brammo to stay in their state.

Personally I would up sticks and move to a more Atom friendly state if I was presented with that response.

Saying that it would appear that Brammo is still shooting itself in the foot with statements coming out like:-
a bill that would allow Brammo Motorsports of Ashland to use state highways to test its Ariel Atom racing vehicle
and
Brammo wants to make Ashland the Detroit of Southern Oregon for race car production
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue May 01, 2007 9:59 pm

Once you get it out of the State then those limitations would not apply I'd think.  How close is Brammo to the State line? :) Sucks for the people there though that need to get on a interstate.

They definitely need to tone down the RACE terminology as pretty much NOBODY will accept it into a series stateside that we've heard of. Need to strongly position it as a SPORTS car.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue May 01, 2007 10:10 pm

I agree. Forget the fact that it's a little quicker than a 911 and just let it be the sports car that it is. Imagine not letting it on the freeway! Motorcycles are soooo much safer than a "race" type car. ::) ::) ::)

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Yeah, it is a definite compromise and only being done because Brammo is going to bring in a lot of money to the state. 

Advantages:
no emission testing
straight forward registration
no more sneaking through registration as a kit car

Disadvantages
above silly limitations
not everyone tracks the car and lives near a track
may limit us getting insurance if it is categorized by the state as a race car

I'm glad I have my assembled registration and I can keep it long as I pass through emissions in 2 years

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue May 01, 2007 10:28 pm

bolus, if all new Atoms will come under these restrictions, you're going to get pulled everytime you drive on the freeway.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue May 01, 2007 10:37 pm

Only if cops are fully aware. Most would just see the plate and go on...

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Tue May 01, 2007 10:57 pm

To me this is just plain idiotic and makes no sense at all. It's restricted to state highways with a 55mph could be driven only within a 90-mile radius of a race track or a 30-mile radius of the shop. So you can't drive it out of your garage and on city streets that have a speed limit of say 30mph, and what if you don't have a race track within 90 miles?? then your sh1t out of luck. STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID  STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull. 
2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question. 
3. tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party. 
4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio. 
5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue. 
Sorry for ranting on this subject but I can't for the life of me see why Brammo would continue to push the Atom as a track specific Race car, if they really want to keep selling them because many perspective owners will not purchase the Atom if they cannot register it for the road. All Brammo has to do is change their web site to say something like the Atom is the "ultimate minimalist sports car" which would make some of our lives easier.
bolus, I hope this piece of crap legislation does not screw things up for you Darth and any other OR Atom owner.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 01, 2007 11:30 pm

I assume that we can go up to 55 but not on the interstate which is 65.  It is still a dumb law.  but we'll take anything we can get especially since the current rule is no registration at all (unless you can sneak through) and that Terry just got shot down completely in NJ. 

Also stupid because PIR is on a frickin island only reachable by interstate (I think)

Brammo has to push this car as a track only car.  They can't sell this for street use.  They would not have been able to selll any at all if they claimed otherwise

There are many many things about gov and society that I dont think are reasonable.  This is one. 

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue May 01, 2007 11:36 pm

Well said, Mavrick! ;D

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed May 02, 2007 3:02 am

How do you get in and out of Ashland?  Via I-5... an interstate.

How do you get to PIR, THE road track in Oregon?  Via I-5... an interstate. 

Stupid.  I'm keeping my registration the way it is (as an assembled vehicle).  I'll deal with emissions when the time comes.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed May 02, 2007 3:17 am

[quote="bolus"]"Jack Evans, of the Oregon Department of Transportation, said a one-time, $38 registration fee would be charged to license each Atom for use on state roads. The high-performance car would be restricted to state highways with a 55 mph speed limit, and could be driven only within a 90-mile radius of a race track or a 30-mile radius of the shop."[/quote]

This is the same verbiage that appeared in the earlier newspaper article, and which was not present in the actual bill at the time. Looking at the copy of the bill currently available online (http://www.leg.state.or.us/07reg/measpd ... .intro.pdf), none of those restrictions are in it.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Wed May 02, 2007 3:24 am

Guys... umm...RACE TRACK is very subjective... There are all kinds of race tracks... 1/4 mile, road, dirt, circle, horse, etc.  Not to mention, only 2% of cops will know, and those that do will have no idea if they are within 90 miles of a race track,.... this is  one awesome state for allowing this. Incredible. Nice work.  They created legality, and have, something to mfall back on under any public scruitiny.  In NY, , though theres always ways to work around rules, they at upper DMV told me the legal department was worried that an Atom owner could be easily crushed by some city bus or school bus (as could a Miata!), and they didnt think the safety attributes would ever allow for making it road legal.  Again,  the office folks never consult with road partol or even most DMV line clerks!

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Wed May 02, 2007 3:30 am

And further..whats the penalty for driving on a freeway (a section I just caught..so that sorta sucks)... I mean...I suspect its not a pointed moving violation, but a simple infraction if the cop is out to bust.  I understand your bummed, as you have had free reign already.