Oregon registration update

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
bolus

Re: Oregon registration update

Post by bolus » Wed May 02, 2007 3:52 am

My car is registered as a kit car so I'll still get free reign as long as I can pass emissions in 2 years.  Just dont like limitations an a car that clearly shows there is incomplete understanding of the situations (that is probably how the do all the laws)

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed May 02, 2007 3:54 am

Well, like Terry says, its nowhere in the bill as currently published online, so it may be a non-issue.  Which would great, because it would be easier to own an atom that my ford ranger daily driver... but we'll see.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed May 02, 2007 3:56 am

For those who are interested in following the progress of the bill:
http://www.leg.state.or.us/searchmeas.html

click house bill and search for 3527. 

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 am

Now, here is my question. Do you need to be a resident of Oregon to get this 'special' registration? Is Title included?

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Thu May 03, 2007 1:59 pm

*tap tap* Is this thing on?  ;D

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu May 03, 2007 2:57 pm

Im sure it is the same as regular car registration - you have to have your primary residence in Oregon and live here >6 months each year

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri May 04, 2007 4:34 pm

They ammended 3527, it now reads as the same as the newspaper article.
SECTION 3b. (1) A person commits the offense of violation of registration limits on a
racing activity vehicle if a vehicle is permanently registered under section 3a of this 2007
Act and the person uses the vehicle other than for:
(a) Exhibitions, parades or club activities;
(b) Driving the vehicle from the person¢s home to a race track that is within a 90-mile
radius of the person¢s home; or
(c) Test driving the vehicle for maintenance or repair purposes within a 30-mile radius
of where the vehicle is maintained or repaired.
(2) The offense described in this section, violation of registration limits on a racing activity
vehicle, is a Class B traffic violation.
SECTION 3c. (1) A person commits the offense of unlawfully operating a racing activity
vehicle on a highway if the person operates a racing activity vehicle on a highway that has
a speed limit or posted speed that is greater than 55 miles per hour.
(2) The offense described in this section, unlawfully operating a racing activity vehicle
on a highway, is a Class B traffic violation.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri May 04, 2007 5:50 pm

Definitely keeping my assembled vehicle status unless I cant pass DEQ

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Fri May 04, 2007 9:51 pm

This is very wierd.
They are basically saying you can "road test" the car, and drive it to/from a racetrack.
But no grocery shopping, joy rides, or anything fun.

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri May 04, 2007 10:50 pm

[quote="nicolas"]
This is very wierd.
They are basically saying you can "road test" the car, and drive it to/from a racetrack.
But no grocery shopping, joy rides, or anything fun.
[/quote]

Only if you want it to be a 'Racing Activity Vehicle' otherwise go for the other option and get it registered like bolus.

Not that I've seen any Atom that meets their description of a 'Racing Activity Vehicle' unless I'm misinterpreting the line that says it has to have 'Integral front and rear rollover tubes'.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri May 04, 2007 11:07 pm

But we had to be sneaky to register as assembled vehicles.  Once this is in place they might now allow the way we did it.  I'd still try the assembled vehicle way first though. 

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri May 04, 2007 11:57 pm

That's what I'm suggesting as it does state that 'a Racing Activity Vehicle means a motor vehicle that is not a replica or an assembled vehicle'.

So if you go for the self assembly option, with no roll bar, then it doesn't come under this classification.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat May 05, 2007 12:30 am

Yeah, if I get questions (brammo forwards emails to me all the time from prospective Oregon Atom buyers) I'll tell them to do the assembled vehicle route first and then the racing activity vehicle second.

I think the good news is that owners of track cars other than the Atom might be able to use this new law to register cars that they couldn't do previously.  I bet I could use this law to register an X-bow if I wanted.  They are pretty close in appearance. 

Alec

Post by Alec » Sat May 05, 2007 12:37 am

I doubt it as the X-Bow has a body and it's pretty specific in the description.
SECTION 2. â??Racing activity vehicleâ?� means a motor vehicle that:
(1) Is primarily used for racing on a race track and that has:
    (a) A bodiless tubular steel chassis that forms the main structural component of the vehicle;
    (b) High side rails;
    (c) Integral front and rear rollover tubes;
    (d) A suspension with both front and rear double unequal length wishbones and inboard, pushrod operated dampers; and
    (e) A product identification number instead of a vehicle identification number; and
(2) Is not a replica or an assembled vehicle.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed May 09, 2007 7:10 pm

Bill passed the house

HB 3527 By Representative BUCKLEY; Senator BATES -- Relating to racing activity vehicles.
03/13 (H) First reading. Referred to Speaker's desk.
03/20 (H) Referred to Transportation.
04/02 (H) Public Hearing held.
04/23 (H) Work Session held.
05/03 (H) Recommendation: Do pass with amendments and be printed A-Engrossed.
05/07 (H) Second reading.
05/08 (H) Third reading. Carried by Buckley. Passed. Ayes, 55; Nays, 1--Schaufler; Excused, 3--Boquist, Cameron, Galizio; Excused for Business of the House, 1--Hunt.