Licensure in Georgia

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
Driver

Re: Licensure in Georgia

Post by Driver » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:01 pm

I thought they changed that.. seems like only for awhile. Well actually at least it's not on their Home Page anymore. That quote is buried down on the "Specification - racing" page. Still, out of all the cars Brammo has sold you'd think that the number destined primarily for the street far outweigh the others. Why even have absolute sentences like that in there? Some marketing person that likes to FORCE their customers to jump through hoops and lose those unwilling to? The words "can be" would temper it  so much.

???

Alec

Post by Alec » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:12 pm

But even if you just click on the tab headed 'The Atom 2' and go to the features, which I'm sure everyone will read, it finishes with a last line that says:-
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:05 pm

Yep, should've used the word 'exotic'. Again, it just doesn't make sense. At least not to me as no series exists for the vehicle and as the UK has proven the majority of the Atoms are on their roads. I'm not worried so much about my state but can feel for the people where the obstacles are much worse. And who knows what effect those words have on the insurance situation nationwide...

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:23 pm

When I was told that I was trying to license a race car I stated sure it was a "trackable" vehicle but that it has lights/mirrors, etc. and it's legal on the streets of 13 states so far. I would agree that anyone looking at the website would have to conclude it is a race type car- but there are no catagories that it is qualified to race in (as far as I know). I feel that most all American Atoms are going to be street cars with a focus on the improvement of driving skills.
Last edited by rfmarz@frontiernet on Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alec

Post by Alec » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:25 pm

As Randy has a good relationship with Brammo, maybe he could be persuaded to have a word with them to tone down the racing aspect on their site.

I know it doesn't affect me over here, but I feel for everyone struggling to get road legal of there.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:41 pm

It's obvious that we need all the help we can get!

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:03 pm

[quote="Alec"]
As Randy has a good relationship with Brammo, maybe he could be persuaded to have a word with them to tone down the racing aspect on their site.

I know it doesn't affect me over here, but I feel for everyone struggling to get road legal of there.
[/quote]

I suspect that they would be amenable to this idea, as it would almost certainly prove to be an effective marketing strategy.  From my chat with the guys at Brammo, about the only thing that really holds back their sales pace is the fact that the Atom is not street legal in all places.  To the extent that they (themselves) can help to influence the perception of the car as being a "trackable" exotic car as opposed to a "race" car, I'm sure they would give it some serious thought.

If you really think about it, once someone makes their way to the Brammo website and their interest is piqued, they are almost certain to find the Top Gear video (and many others) with a quick Google search, so there are all sorts of ways in which people will learn about the racing aspects of the car.  The folks at your local DMV who have not run across an Atom before and have limited interest outside of the immediate need of making a decision with respect to the request to register the car right in front of them, are more likely to pop onto the Brammo site and make a quick decision based on what they learn there.  Of course this is probably a grossly oversimplified analysis, but as the "primary" source of information about their own product, Brammo may be in a position to steer public opinion at least a wee bit. 

Essentially, all I'm saying is that I think this is a great idea to take up with them!
Last edited by Wmcmanus on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:23 pm

Wmcmanus, you're absolutely correct! In my case with the Ga Dept of Motor Veh., the head of it said outright, "you're trying to license a race car". His info came straight from Brammos website. He mentioned to me that he looked at the website. You have a hard time arguing the point after that since you're put on the defensive.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue May 01, 2007 12:38 am

I had a conversation with a contact from SEMA. He stated that he was very well aware of the Atom. After further discussion, I was told that there is currently nothing in place in GA state law that allows registration for any kit car or specially constructed vehicle.  He said they were closely watching the new Oregon law proceedings to see where it may lead.It looks like I may be screwed, at least for the next year or two. :td:

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Tue May 01, 2007 4:07 am

Or buy a used Atom which is already titled...it'll probably breeze right throuth..If not, rent a home or start a business ina n Atom friendly state perhaps.

sloppyjoe

Post by sloppyjoe » Tue May 01, 2007 11:16 am

I've got a feeling that SC would be a pretty atom friendly state, and it's the closest one to you.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue May 01, 2007 11:40 am

Thanks guys. I'll have to look into S.C. I only live ~30 miles from the border.

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue May 01, 2007 11:48 am

Sounds like you need a weekend cabin/workshop. One of your hunting buddies have a deer lease or a favorite fishing hole? ;D

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue May 01, 2007 12:00 pm

Driver, I'll have to check on that real closely. :laugh: I really looks like that may be my only option- for real. :td:

sloppyjoe

Post by sloppyjoe » Tue May 01, 2007 12:37 pm

I hope you have luck with SC, because it doesn't seem (at least from an insurance standpoint) that NC would be easy, and SC is only about 20 minutes away from me.