Got my CHP inspection completed today.

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
Mr.Woolery

Got my CHP inspection completed today.

Post by Mr.Woolery » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:21 pm

After coming back from my trip, I called the CHP to make my appointment.  I expected at least a couple of weeks' lead time, but they made my appointment for the very next day!

So I took my Atom in this morning, and they did the inspection and affixed a VIN plate to the car.  The CHP officer was a little cynical about my being able to "get away with" driving the Atom on the street, but he went ahead and put the plate on anyway.

He said that the Brammo provided PIN didn't conform for VIN use, so he assigned me a new VIN for the car.  I kinda expected that the PIN would suffice as the VIN, as I've heard others having been able to use their PIN as their VIN.  Anyone else care to share their CHP inspection/VIN assignment experience?

Karl

Re: Got my CHP inspection completed today.

Post by Karl » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:27 pm

Ask experienced Cobra owners, and they'll tell you that the CHP will sometimes use the chassis number, and sometimes affix a "blue tag".  There does not seem to be a clear guideline on what needs to be done.

Myerfire48

Post by Myerfire48 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:16 am

Sounds a bit unconsistant with my experience, big surprize huh?  My CHP guy used the Brammo VIN..

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:42 am

CHP guys seem to have attitudes.
Shock, horror!  :o

Their job it to determine if the car has stolen parts, through correct invoces for chassis & engine.
They are supposed to check for a VIN and attach a new one (or replacement one) as necessary.

Why they insist on getting on their soap boxes and preaching to us about the legality of a car 'without bumpers' when they're clearly defined as not necessary is beyond me.

Still, they're CHP, so you kinda know their hiring mentality before you went there, right?

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Tue May 08, 2007 12:28 am

hey guys
I just had my CHP VIN check today for my atom, and it went quite well!!!! I was so incredibly nervous and I had to go to a different CHP(another apt. I have in socal), because a couple of the CHPs just flat out denied even an appointment, and I got like no sleep worrying all night!!!!
Anyways, the appointment lasted like 20 mins tops, and he asked me where the VIN was for chassis and engine, inspected the car and that was it!!! I was with the officer the whole time, he was asking me where things were, etc. He was able to use the same VIN as Brammo's, so that was good!!
The officer was so so cool, he was more interested in the car itself, as he asked about hp, weight, where it was built, he compared it to a F1 car,etc. Plus as other officers left for work in the morning, they litereally stopped their patrol cars and asked the very same questions!!!, and they all said to be careful while driving. All in all the best cops I have ever met!!!
First time I took the car out in public, and the stares I was getting were unreal, a lot of people waiting at the CHP, were all over me asking questions!!!, I felt like a celebrity :D :D. Even my grandad who was with me, realized everyone was looking, he felt special too!!!
Special thanks to Woolery and Warner, you guys gave me great support, I cant thank you enough. :tu: :tu: ;D
If all goes well, hopefully within a week or two i will go to the dmv to submit all the final docs, and get my registration!!!
Fiesty ;D

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue May 08, 2007 12:41 am

A BIG congrats, Fiesty! :tu:

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Tue May 08, 2007 12:49 am

I had my CHP inspection today also.  It was as smooth as could be.

Wednesday I'm doing BAR.  Anyone been to the one at Pierce College?

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Tue May 08, 2007 7:23 pm

Pierce college guys was really cool.  :tu: :tu: :tu: