Anonymous Poll: USA Atom Owners, Who are you insured with?

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV

Who is your Atom insured with?

You may select 1 option

View results

bolus

Re: Anonymous Poll: USA Atom Owners, Who are you insured with?

Post by bolus » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:06 am

[quote="maverick1"]
Is there any way you could get the mileage figure extended with Rally if you paid more?

[/quote]

Ask Sean, I believe he said yes when I asked him this.  In my opinion, you should try to get progressive, make your drive across country, then switch to rally.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:23 am

[quote="bolus"]
[quote="maverick1"]
Is there any way you could get the mileage figure extended with Rally if you paid more?

[/quote]

Ask Sean, I believe he said yes when I asked him this.  In my opinion, you should try to get progressive, make your drive across country, then switch to rally.
[/quote]

I beleive Max is 6000, I saved some by asking for a max of 3000.

cshama

Post by cshama » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:50 am

To be honest this thread should be moved too imho- progressive will no longer insure atoms.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:02 pm

Isn't it a pain to be a slave to the insurance companies? If anything most of us are likely to be even more careful in an Atom than in the family car! I will be comtacting Rally tomorrow.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:52 pm

Just got off the phone with Rally. I am only insurable for 3,000 annual miles (GA). The premium would be $952 with $300K liability and a $59K value. You don't get insured for track days, of course, but the miles count against you.
Last edited by rfmarz@frontiernet on Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:54 pm

Miles count against you? ! That sucks, I guess with the Spa unit the first thing you could do at the track is just unplug the cable going to it. Not like you really need it. Most people can shift just fine by the seat of thier pants. Or you could just come up with a aux gauge cluster that duplicates some of the more important settings (rpm, oil/water).

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:07 pm

Yea, the lady I spoke with was very nice. She laid down the law on how you can use your Atom though- No commercial use, No daily driving, No track coverage, No one with less than 10 years of driving experience driving it, etc. The 3,000 mile limitation is what bugs me the most. She also told me that No one else will insure an Atom. Based on this forum, that doesn't seem accurate. Anyone else have a better idea as to where to insure an "exotic" car?

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:13 pm

[quote="rfmarz"]
Yea, the lady I spoke with was very nice. She laid down the law on how you can use your Atom though- No commercial use, No daily driving, No track coverage, No one with less than 10 years of driving experience driving it, etc. The 3,000 mile limitation is what bugs me the most. She also told me that No one else will insure an Atom. Based on this forum, that doesn't seem accurate. Anyone else have a better idea as to where to insure an "exotic" car?
[/quote]

You should work with Sean.  He was really pretty cool.  Here are the others that are more national based:

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,4005.0.html

I need to give leland west a call again.  Last time I called they said no but the person I talked to didn't know much at all

cshama

Post by cshama » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:10 pm

Do everyone a favor and just speak to Sean ;) I spoke to the woman in question and I suggest you ONLY speak to sean. I dont think anyone would be happy losing another insurer. Noboby will insure you for the track and if you you keep asking Rally about it we will all get dropped imho

As for anyone else insuring the atom - well Progressive wont do it now . After writing me a policy they subsequently gave me the bums rush after anothe prospective atom owner asked the wrong questions :-[

Remember no insurer wants to insure a race car.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:37 am

One thing about Rally is they seem very intent on the garaging of the vehicle, and garage location.  They also want to know who in the houshold is driving it, in such clear fashion, that Im pretty sure that if someone else is driving it, there is zero coverage??? I guess I have heard that of other companies, but I never had a claim so I assume that if a friend is driving my pick-up and hits someone, theres coverage. Doesnt look that way with Rally... anyone confirm?

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:49 am

I think the only exclusion was for a driver under 26 in the home.  Then I would have had to sign a form saying they were excluded.

Karl

Post by Karl » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:52 am

[quote="bolus"]
I think the only exclusion was for a driver under 26 in the home.  Then I would have had to sign a form saying they were excluded.
[/quote]

I have yet to figure out what format the "magic driving talent" the insurance companies give you when you turn 25/26 comes in.  Is it a book?  Instructor-hours?  A The Matrix-style brain software program?  Anyone here work in insurance who could clarify?

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:20 am

[quote="Karl"]
[quote="bolus"]
[/quote]

I have yet to figure out what format the "magic driving talent" the insurance companies give you when you turn 25/26 comes in.  Is it a book?  Instructor-hours?  A The Matrix-style brain software program?  Anyone here work in insurance who could clarify?
[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actuary ;)

cshama

Post by cshama » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:29 am

[quote="Karl"]
[quote="bolus"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Its all probabilities- thats why I get low insurance even though I am a grave risk to myself and others :)

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:18 am

cshama, just to clarify, I did not keep asking for track coverage. I merely asked why they hold track miles against you when you are not being covered for that time. Of course one could be dishonest and disconnest the speedo but we wouldn't stoop to that level now, would we?  I want as many insurance choices as possible. I wouldn't do anything to compromise our groups insurability. We're all in this together. :tu: