Registering and insuring in either NY or Co?

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
daemon999

Re: Registering and insuring in either NY or Co?

Post by daemon999 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:56 pm

Jammer,

That is sooooo cool â?? how does that work?    How do you drive a car in NY and not have the car inspected?  Meaning, doesnâ??t the cops want to see your inspection sticker some where?  Especially when they look at the car â?? no roof, no bumper, etcâ?¦

You have to explain in bit more detail on how this works â?? also no tickets.  How cool is that!!!!!!

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:57 pm

[quote="maverick1"]
[quote="Jammer"]
As a side note... there are two Atoms with NY plates... and when I got mine in VT, I walked into DMV and out in 7 minutes flat. They wanted tax dollars is all... lady asked what an Atom was.. I said "You know...they are always comeing out with new cars... just another new car with a different name".  That was it.  I walked out. They dont require proof of Insurance...and best of all, they didnt ask for ID and didnt care if my address was out of state .. perhaps all oversights...as I went to a satelite office in the back of a grocery store (gotta love VT).  Lastly,  you can not get a ticket for an uninspected vehicle except for in the state in which it is registered in. So, in my case, I had a legally registered car, and could drive anywhere in the US, except the state it was registered in..cause I wouldn't likely have passed inspection without several oversights.
[/quote]
Hey Jam....how are your Beemers working out? Have you raced them this year at all?
Cheersâ?¢
[/quote]

I should akept tha Atom... BMWs have cost me huge... lets say I have two M3's .. bith need more investement,  one nealry killed me.. damn thing broke my tailbone when it decided to drive itself down the street and made me catch it... they have been under repair most of the time I have had them... Lets say I am glad I bought two.. cause you need two to keep them up and running.  All said I have done a few days at the Glen.. and am Headed back for a 3 day weekend  as well as a limerock date... so..in the end..bad move... should risked damage to the Atom...cause a damaged Atom would cost me less than keeping the Bimmers up and going.

As far as driving uninspected... cops dont care and have no authority when the car is not registered in "their" state. Many states dont require any inspection.  It's easy if you dont read and live to letter of the law... but I can not recommended anyone not following the law.

globallambo

Post by globallambo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:41 pm

Today I purchased a 2006 Ariel Atom.  I am concerned however with the registration issues here in New York.  I have been going through a very tough time with my 2006 Smart Car, and finally managed to get it through the red tape here in New York, not an easy task.  This was through a New York dealer so at least they issued me plates and I was able to drive the vehicle for "waiting time."  The Atom however is coming from an out of state dealer and will only have a 30 days temp tag.  I have read some posts on this board regarding a few that have managed to register in NY?  I do have other addresses, one being my home in Florida and the other in Pennsylvania.  I do try and keep my cars with those registration in the respective state.  I seem to have problems with the local police if I have an out of state plate in New York, especially since the cars I have attract an enormous amount of attention.

If anyone could help me ASAP - I would appreciate it immensely, I need to give the dealer an address to use for transfer of title and if I have him use NY and its a "no go" I am gong to be jammed up with transferring it to another state!

Thank you all...

Seth
www.exoticsrally.com

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:55 pm

Shouldn't this be moved to the Registration section or have we given up on that.

globallambo

Post by globallambo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:02 pm

[quote="slowcharles"]
Shouldn't this be moved to the Registration section or have we given up on that.
[/quote]

It wouldn't let me post in the reg sectio nfor some reason - it looks as though it's strictly an informational thread.

I apologize if you were troubled by my post.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:06 pm

Seth, as I mentioned in the reply to your PM, go for florida.  Really easy to register there. 

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:04 pm

I'm fixing to move it, but figured I'd leave it here for a few days first. globallambo you need to get signed up as a club member or participate more if you want to see the other areas.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:30 pm

If you follow the law... there is no way to do it legally in NY... I spent much time in Albany.  If you dont follow the law, its rather easy, even in NY.  Getting the car past the dmv folks isnt as hard as if you ever want an inspection.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:31 pm

Oh, and starting last month..to re-new your registration you have to have had an inspection.. the computers are all linked up..no inspection on record..no renewal allowed in NY.