Lobbying politicians

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
nickpoore

Re: Lobbying politicians

Post by nickpoore » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:47 pm

[quote="Karl"]
But for all that, we have SB100! :D
[/quote]

The SB100 is a good start, but who wants to buy/build a car with a crap-shoot option like SB100 to see if you can drive it on the roads.  Remember that there are only 500 SB100 per year.

The issue is that any Specially Constructed Vehicle should be able to make smog, and should get tested.
However that SMOG test should be appropriate to the vehicle, and not some mass-produced car.

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:10 pm

The ecotec should have no problems passing smog itself. It's the Visual Test and the complications of using a non-factory gas tank, exhaust , etc,.. that don't pass C.A.R.B.'s restrictions purely because they are not "OEM". the problem is not the Atom or it's quality. It's the bureaucracy.

I don't even live out there, never been further West than the Grand Canyon and even then I was still gestating (mom was pregnant with me). I shudder when i think of California (CARB specifically) and it's restrictions leaking into other States.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:58 pm

I just found this interview (linked below) with the author of California's SB100 law, former Senator Maurice Johannessen.  It seems he was working with SEMA, or had their support, encouragement, campaign financing, or whatever, when he got SB100 passed.  God bless whoever was responsible for getting it passed.

This shows that SEMA can help push for new laws favoring kit cars.  If they got it done in California, they can get it done anywhere.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=25024

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:19 pm

They (SEMA) needs to lobby to have the limit raised then. 500 SB100 vehicles seems like an awfully low number.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:16 am

I'll see what response I get from SEMA.  I'll also try to build a better list of everyone's problems in case we need to approach them in a more formal fashion. 

It would really be nice to have representation as a group on this issue from someone like SEMA.  It feels like the politicians are doing what they want without discussing the issue with any of us (it certainly feels like that with the recent about-face in oregon)