Any of you fellow Yanks go through the importation of an Atom?

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
Darkside

Re: Any of you fellow Yanks go through the importation of an Atom?

Post by Darkside » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:26 am

Not sure i should answer this Q..

Hum...

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:45 am

You can ship the car, just have FastBuck remove the drivetrain and ship it seperately. Muck like the way the noble should have, and often does enter the US.  As a kit.  Thats probably the only way.  Consider removing the tires, and perhaps the suspension/axels , crated, then shipped. Have the motor shipped seperately. 
Once in the states the registration process can be very tricky...  cause you have to decide..is it a kit car? If it is, see the states guidelines...Its not a replica...unless..lol...its a replica Atom!  And its certainly not a Federally approved vechicle.... but that may not matter in your state. Focus on getting it here, then work through red tape or be creative. 

This form of shipment is how many Nobles, Hondas (lhd) etc make it into the US.  No one said it was by the book though.

Darkside

Post by Darkside » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:29 am

Jammer wrote: Focus on getting it here, then work through red tape or be creative. 
Why not shipped OFF ROAD USE ONLY for now
Hondas (lhd) etc make it into the US.  No one said it was by the book though.
U mean Right Hand Drive (RHD)

Darkside

Post by Darkside » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:38 am

1. OFF ROAD USE ONLY - Shipped to US as Show or Race Car
2. Remove Motor and Tranny - Shipped to US as a parts car

U need a broker who can help u imported.

Few things u need.
UK Title and Bill of Sale
Importing Paper from Broker

To register as kit car
- Need donor car Vin # or MSO
- Need donor car Vin # from Motor and Tranny
- Need Bills for all the parts
- Need Bills for Install
- Photo or have to show in person

Good luck!

We have import a last Ariel Atom from UK to US with out power plan last year and we had no problem getting it register... but what can i say..am in OKLAHOMA.. lol

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:36 pm

Looks like Oklahoma and Arizona are the best/easiest places to register the Atom. Might have to buy me a small cheap place in the AZ desert.
Cheers®

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:46 pm

Just a query from someone across the pond, but if a car is registered in one state, say Oklahoma, then sold to someone in another state, say Texas, is it easier to register the car in the second state?

Can the registration just be transfered or do you have to go through the same procedure as a new car?
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:28 pm

[quote="Alec"]
Just a query from someone across the pond, but if a car is registered in one state, say Oklahoma, then sold to someone in another state, say Texas, is it easier to register the car in the second state?

Can the registration just be transfered or do you have to go through the same procedure as a new car?
[/quote]

If the registration is moved from one state to another (different owner, or owner moves), then you have to register it in the new state.
You will essentially be registering a used car.

Some states have different rules - eg. If you are a resident of that state, you have 20 days to register your out-of-state car, or you cannot register a used car with less than 7500 miles on it from another state.  (Welcome to California).

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:38 pm

Nic, I believe Alec is asking if someone registers their Atom in one State under the "assembled vehicle rules", can another person buy that registered car and take it back to another State and register it as a regular "used car", or do they have to go through all the issues (jump through all the hoops) involved in registering a kit car or assembled vehicle???
Will registering a previously registered Atom be easier, more difficult or the same procedure??
Cheers®

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:43 pm

[quote="maverick1"]
Nic, I believe Alec is asking if someone registers their Atom in one State under the "assembled vehicle rules", can another person buy that registered car and take it back to another State and register it as a regular "used car", or do they have to go through all the issues (jump through all the hoops) involved in registering a kit car or assembled vehicle???
Will registering a previously registered Atom be easier, more difficult or the same procedure??
Cheers®
[/quote]

Yes, that's what I meant.

If it is it could be a lucrative helpful little side-line for someone in a state that registers Atoms easily.

Edited to say "helpful" as I don't mean they should make huge profits but just assist others.
Last edited by Alec on Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Darkside

Post by Darkside » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:53 pm

Once car is register and have title.

all they need is bill of sale, title and insurance to register other state. - some state ask to see the cars so might have to take it to DMV or Tag Agency.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:04 pm

Darkside, I don't believe that is the case. I think a gentleman bought his Atom used from Brammo, which was registered in the State of Oregon, and he could not just go to his local DMV with a bill of sale, title and insurance and register it in his State. I think it might depend on each States rules and regulations which must be followed to get used Atoms registered.
Cheers®

rv-4mike

Post by rv-4mike » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:49 am

Ironic. It looks like the whole registration topic got taken off public access for far less than a week before it popped back up under a different title. Some of the possibilities being mentioned in this thread are exactly the types of things that we were trying to avoid discussing in public. And probably being debated by some of the same guys who voted in favor of removing it in the first place. ;)

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:44 am

[quote="rv-4mike"]
Ironic. It looks like the whole registration topic got taken off public access for far less than a week before it popped back up under a different title. Some of the possibilities being mentioned in this thread are exactly the types of things that we were trying to avoid discussing in public. And probably being debated by some of the same guys who voted in favor of removing it in the first place. ;)
[/quote]

right on the spot mike.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:43 am

[quote="Alec"]
[quote="maverick1"]
Cheers®
[/quote]

Yes, that's what I meant.

If it is it could be a lucrative helpful little side-line for someone in a state that registers Atoms easily.

Edited to say "helpful" as I don't mean they should make huge profits but just assist others.
[/quote]

My original statement holds true...

If you register a car in another state (eg Oregon) and bring it to California, you would still have to register it as a kit car.
Also, it's now a used kit car, so you would have to make sure that it has more than 7500 miles on it.
Also, if you register it in Oregon, but live in California, you must register it as a California vehicle.

Just because you can register it in another state, when you move to a different state, you must follow that state's registration process.
There is no short cut by successfully registering it in an easy state, before trying to register it in a hard state.

California is kinda strict about driving out of state cars - okay for visitors, but if your permanent residence (think tax filing!) is California OR if you work or go to school in California, then you MUST register your car in California.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/ho ... tm#feesdue

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:18 am

[quote="Darkside"]
Once car is register and have title.

all they need is bill of sale, title and insurance to register other state. - some state ask to see the cars so might have to take it to DMV or Tag Agency.

[/quote]

Certainly not the case in all states however.