Post by dford » Thu May 10, 2007 9:57 pm

More:
Attachments
0510070938a.jpg
0510070938a.jpg (90.62 KiB) Viewed 2122 times

dford

Re: Registration in Connecticut

Post by dford » Thu May 10, 2007 10:01 pm

So we get to the DMV inspection station and unload the car. Of course, I don't have the correct paperwork - you have to go to another building and pay 1st.

While I am paying, my cousin watches the car and gets the pic of the day. This about sums up the morning:

dford

Post by dford » Thu May 10, 2007 10:01 pm

Pic:
Attachments
0510070953a.jpg
0510070953a.jpg (63.99 KiB) Viewed 2124 times

dford

Post by dford » Thu May 10, 2007 10:15 pm

The car caused quite a stir, as you would expect. It pulled people out of their offices, and other DMV patrons out of their cars. All the DMV employees were very interested polite and professional, and they asked lots of questions. Strangely, one of them was speaking to an unknown person via cellphone who seemed to be in charge of the inquiry. I don't quite understand how the inspection was being conducted from across the street over a phone, but what the hell. I gave them about 25 photos, the certificate of origin, the application for inspection. They asked who made the car, and seemed to have trouble understanding what type of entity Brammo Motorsports is, assuming they must be affiliated with a major manufacturer, then that they were a small shop. The web address on the side of the car was noticed, and I explained what you could do if you went there. I would probably suggest future owners paint over or erase that, as it leads to more questions and gives the inspector too much info.

We took apart the car so they could see how the brake lines are run, how the engine is set up, etc. In the end, we didn't get inspected, but have to get an appointment withe "the engineer" to get a formal inspection. Until then, I was advised not to bother with any modifications based on our conversations, but to wait for the engineer to tell me what to do.

Some of their obvservations:

1. steering wheel too small - CT requires 13" diameter
2. headlights too far back
3. no bumpers
4. muffler needs to have a protective shroud to prevent accidental touching
5. no windshield - I may have to install a 7" tall windshield with wipers

All in all, they were positive, inquisitive, professional, and very helpful. Seemed like they wanted to get me the info I needed to get it on the road. To be continued.......

PS: the inspection line backed up as I was the sole focus for about an hour ;D
Attachments
0510071017a.jpg
0510071017a.jpg (70.35 KiB) Viewed 2121 times

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri May 11, 2007 1:30 am

Thanks for the update and pics.  good luck on getting through those hoops to get it on the road

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Fri May 11, 2007 6:56 pm

[quote="dford"]
My day at the DMV:

I had originally planned to rent a truck and trailer to get my Atom to the inspection station (no truck, no trailer, no garage, no mechanical skills - great home for an Atom!), but on Monday, my newly discovered cousin offered the use of his truck and trailer - relatives ARE good for something! My appointment was for 10am, I was up at 5am, having to drive to work to get the Atom out of the detailers bay, I got evicted from the showroom when the 2 GT500s showed up - as if! My phone has a text message "Just got done xxxx-ing, don't call before 10!" Too bad, I call at 7:30am - he is pissed, much profantiy, but gets up.

We drive back to the dealership to get the Atom, and along the way I ask him how he ties down the cars.....wait for it.....we have no tie downs. Ok fine, we'll improvise. I'm ready to drive the Atom onto the trailer, 72" car in a 75" opening, get the front wheels into the trailer when the car bottoms out. Ok what now? Oh yes, we'll put a bag of cement under each side of the ramp to raise it up a bit - because every car hauler has bags of cement in them! We also got some floor mats (used) to put over the lip between the ramp and trailer.2nd try same as the 1st, this time I press on, and after some uncomfortable noises, the Atom is on the trailer. Good thing the bottom of the tub is flat!!

How to secure the car inside the trailer. Oh yes, the bags of cement and a roll of paper towels between each wheel and the wall. Yes, paper towel rolls.

Some Pics:
[/quote]
Good story. I can see you getting evicted if they were bringing in 2 Ford GT's but getting the boot for 2 GT500s is insane...LOL LOL
cheers