Registration in Connecticut

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
dford

Registration in Connecticut

Post by dford » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:18 pm

From the Connecitcut DMV's website:

Composite Vehicles

A composite motor vehicle is defined by statute as "Any motor vehicle, composed or assembled from several parts of other motor vehicles, or the identification and body contours of which are so altered that the vehicle no longer bears the characteristics of any specific make of motor vehicle. Any vehicle not assembled by a manufacturer licensed as such in the State of Connecticut is classified as a composite motor vehicle."

Before a composite vehicle can be registered, the following requirements must be met:
Vehicle must pass a composite vehicle inspection.  All composite inspections are done at the Wethersfield Office inspection lane by appointment only.  Please contact the DMV Phone Center to schedule an appointment.

Note:  Composite motor vehicles must be transported on a flat bed trailer or car carrier to the inspection site (not to be driven or towed; no wheel of the vehicle may touch the ground) except if validly registered in another state or if the owner is a licensed dealer or repairer.

The vehicle will also require a new emissions test performed at an emissions testing station.  Some vehicles are exempt from emissions testing.  To determine if your vehicle is exempt from emissions testing, please refer to the listing of exempt vehicles.

Note:  Starting January 1, 2007 newly completed composite vehicles will need to have an engine that will meet new composite vehicle emissions standards. The standards that will be in effect are equivalent to the two-speed idle standards for 1980 and newer passenger cars and light trucks or 1988 and newer engines from trucks in the 8501 to 10,000 lb. GVWR range. Composite vehicles classified as 2006 model year and older will continue to be subject to existing standards which are approximately equivalent to the two-speed idle standards at a level somewhere between that for 1968 and 1973 vehicles.

Bring the Certificate of Titles of all vehicles used for major component parts or one Title, plus receipts, for the parts of the other vehicles used. If the parts are from used vehicles, make sure the receipts specify the vehicle identification number (VIN). No Title is needed for non-major component parts (examples of major parts are: engine, cowls, transmission, frame, doors, trunk lid, front and rear fenders and quarter panels).

An Application for Inspection of Composite Motor Vehicle (form R-95) must be completed and be accompanied by two photographs of the vehicle as well as supporting documents showing proof of ownership.  An Application for Registration and Certificate of Title  (form H-13) must also be completed.

At the time of inspection a VIN will be assigned by the Inspector. The year assigned to the vehicle will be the year in which the vehicle was built.  On your registration and title documents, the make will be specified as "Composite."
The current inspection fee is $88 and a fee of $50 is charged for the assignment of a VIN.

Note: No appointment is necessary for a re-inspection, however, the re-inspection must still be performed at the Wethersfield Office inspection lane.

Application for Inspection of a Composite Vehicle:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/R-95.pdf

Seems simple, but no where on the DMV's website does it say what is required to pass the inspection. The car may need an emissions test, unless I can get it designated as exempt, which you can for cars that "are registered but for limited highway use only." It would be cool, if uncharacteristic for CT, if the process was easy.

dford

Re: Registration in Connecticut

Post by dford » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:55 pm

Went to the DMV today to get info on registering my Atom. Got a 7 page (2 for motorcycles) pamphlet on how to register a "composite vehicle" in CT.

Some items of concern I found:

Windshield - needs to be 10" tall or taller and made of safety glass, w/ windshield wipers. (I may be able to get around this with another CT reg)

Excessive noise - have to find the reg on what is excessive, I read it but didn't save it

Headlights - need to have high and low beams - do Atoms have both?

Tail lights - must be far enough apart to indicate the width of the vehicle - don't know if they would be considered far enough apart, but an easy fix

Fenders - must cover at least 1/2 the rear of each tire ( I ordered extended fenders, hope its enough)

Bumpers "bumpers or equivalent structure attached to the frame capable of transferring impact to the frame 16" to 30" from the ground - uh oh

Motor - must be sufficiently shrouded to prevent accidental contact with hot or moving parts - hmmmmm

Karl

Post by Karl » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:07 pm

[quote="dford"]
Headlights - need to have high and low beams - do Atoms have both?
[/quote]

Yes, the headlights are H4 housings that support both a "dipped" or "low" and a "main" or "high" beam.  They are not DOT/SAE rated, last I checked.

dford

Post by dford » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:16 am

Thanks, one less problem on the list. I assume there is a switch for low/high beams?

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:48 am

There is a switch for high and low beams

noise will not be an issue unless you stomp on the gas.  At idle it is not that noisy

For the bumper - it says something to transfer impact to the frame - well that's what the car is - frame

fender coverage is about a 1/3 of the wheel - they may not notice. 

this will be tough.  good luck to you.  Any other categories it might fit into?  In oregon there is a "special interest" vehicle that needs to be designated by a car club as special interest.  There are very few requirements for those cars. 

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:11 am

[quote="bolus"]
noise will not be an issue unless you stomp on the gas.  At idle it is not that noisy
[/quote]

Agreed, it depends on what tests they do.  The Atom is about as loud around town as those V8 domestic pickups with their Borla pipes.  At WOT, though, better cover your ears.  Hearing protection for the driver is highly recommended.

[quote="bolus"]
For the bumper - it says something to transfer impact to the frame - well that's what the car is - frame
[/quote]

I haven't measured the front height, but the rear of the car should easily pass this requirement.  Basically they're trying to make sure every car is on a level playing field as far as collisions are concerned, that no one is driving a LMP that would submarine under anything or a monster truck that could crush everything.

[quote="bolus"]
fender coverage is about a 1/3 of the wheel - they may not notice. 
[/quote]

The requirement according to dford is "1/2 of the rear of each tire".  Last I checked, the rear portions of the extended fenders go all the way from the top of the tire to at least 90 degrees rearward.  They should pass this requirement.

It sounds to me like the toughest requirement will be the engine shroud.

dford

Post by dford » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:49 am

The noise test consumes about 5 pages of the regulations, but I think I'll be ok, as they test at a distance not right at the car. They even have rules as to what type of obstructions can be between the car and the microphone ( fire hydrants and rural mailboxes are ok, a nearby billboard is not!)

The shroud might be an issue, but I think that could be solved with some sort of protection attatched to the frame covering the muffler

The bumper rules doesn't specify that they have to cover the width of the car or anything, or even if bumpers have to be front and rear.

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:34 pm

You can always do the sponge trick, hide it inside the airbox ahead of time. Maybe double up on the filters? ;)

dford

Post by dford » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:42 pm

Well, today I met a customer who might be able to handle any fabrication needs I might have - engine shroud, bumpers.

www.ne-waf.com

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:33 am

I remember reading that in the UK, when the factory sends the atom to get registered, that the engine compartment is covered in chicken-wire.
Could be a simple quick-fix.

dford

Post by dford » Wed May 09, 2007 1:37 am

Well, I have had the Atom for a week, and it's quite a conversation piece at the dealership. Everyone has an opinion about registering it. Some say why wouldn't they, some say no chance, everyone asks where the windshield is. We'll find out Thursday.

Interesting sidenote, my Stepmom came and bought a used PT Cruiser convertible (at least it was a turbo w/ 5spd stick!) from me yesterday, and we discovered that one of the other salesmen is actually my cousin?! Me>stepmom>her brother's wife's sisters kid. Small world. And he has a car hauler and truck we are using to go to the DMV.

24 miles, all in the parking lot!!! Almost time to change the oil.

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed May 09, 2007 1:46 am

[quote="dford"]

24 miles, all in the parking lot!!! Almost time to change the oil.

[/quote]

Have you tried changing up out of first gear yet?  ;D
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed May 09, 2007 8:09 am

Good luck Thursday. :tu:

Pet Project: Get everyone to Voluntarily list locale (general or specific) where it shows up in their posts. Click Here to Learn How.

dford

Post by dford » Thu May 10, 2007 9:56 pm

My day at the DMV:

I had originally planned to rent a truck and trailer to get my Atom to the inspection station (no truck, no trailer, no garage, no mechanical skills - great home for an Atom!), but on Monday, my newly discovered cousin offered the use of his truck and trailer - relatives ARE good for something! My appointment was for 10am, I was up at 5am, having to drive to work to get the Atom out of the detailers bay, I got evicted from the showroom when the 2 GT500s showed up - as if! My phone has a text message "Just got done xxxx-ing, don't call before 10!" Too bad, I call at 7:30am - he is pissed, much profantiy, but gets up.

We drive back to the dealership to get the Atom, and along the way I ask him how he ties down the cars.....wait for it.....we have no tie downs. Ok fine, we'll improvise. I'm ready to drive the Atom onto the trailer, 72" car in a 75" opening, get the front wheels into the trailer when the car bottoms out. Ok what now? Oh yes, we'll put a bag of cement under each side of the ramp to raise it up a bit - because every car hauler has bags of cement in them! We also got some floor mats (used) to put over the lip between the ramp and trailer.2nd try same as the 1st, this time I press on, and after some uncomfortable noises, the Atom is on the trailer. Good thing the bottom of the tub is flat!!

How to secure the car inside the trailer. Oh yes, the bags of cement and a roll of paper towels between each wheel and the wall. Yes, paper towel rolls.

Some Pics:
Attachments
0510070938.jpg
0510070938.jpg (62.71 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
0510071054b.jpg
0510071054b.jpg (44.04 KiB) Viewed 2116 times

dford

Post by dford » Thu May 10, 2007 9:57 pm

More pics:
Attachments
0510071054a.jpg