Registering a USA Atom in California?

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
Mr.Woolery

Re: Registering a USA Atom in California?

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:18 pm

KERSPLASH!

Well, I just placed my order, so all this info/theory will be put into practice in the coming months.l

p38wannabe

Post by p38wannabe » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:34 pm

Hello!

I just found out about the Atom and totaly amazed by it. I intend to put my order down when the first US deliverys have been taken place (I kind of want to see what we are getting here in the end since it seems that they will be different than the british ones. That said, I am from Texas, anyone on the forum here who is trying to get one registered ???

thanks

dingo

Post by dingo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:38 pm

Check out the Gallery - Amercian Cars section.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:46 pm

p38wannabe,

Like you, I am also from Texas and it'll likely be a year before I get to progress. It'll be informative to see what hurdles you need to go through. Are you going to go with the lighting kit, etc.. and drive it on the road? Please keep us informed.

p38wannabe

Post by p38wannabe » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:01 pm

As metioned before, right now I am still in a waiting position as well "holding pattern" so to speak ...  :P ... You are guessing right, I want the car to be totaly street legal so I can take it for weekend drives ot to the track. I'd rather not be the guinea pig, I contacted brammo to see if they can give me any pointers. Of course secondly I'd like to see how the proposed engine options evolve - Since I had a 9000 rpm Honda S2000 and loved every minute in it, I am leaning towards the Honda option since the lack of low end tq should not be an issue anymore considering how light the Atom is.

Cheers

xs10shl

Post by xs10shl » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:38 am

Here's a few photos of a CA-registered Atom.  There are a few changes from the stock version.
Attachments
IMAGE_056-temp.jpg
IMAGE_057-temp.jpg

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Most noticibly the absence of an exhaust..... It's electric. This car has been around for awhile. And as a research platform/electric vehicle I'm sure it doesn't have to conform to regular road regs.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:06 pm

[quote="Driver"]
Most noticibly the absence of an exhaust..... It's electric. This car has been around for awhile. And as a research platform/electric vehicle I'm sure it doesn't have to conform to regular road regs.
[/quote]

I can see how this car would be exempt from certain powertrain regulations (smog regs, CARB, BAR certifications).  However, thee exemptions wouldn't cover the things which would most likely cause a registration controversy for the car (windshield, lighting).  Even though this Atom is an electic vehicle, the fact that it's road legal with the twin bubble windscreen makes the info/pics quite useful.  I suggest that anyone trying to register an Atom in CA take the time to save a few pics of previously registered CA Atoms (electric or otherwise) for use to set a sort of "precedent".  Show the pics to any registration inspector should they tend towards the thinking that the windshield situation isn't road legal.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:09 pm

Chill. A new street legal Atom will be registered soon...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:12 pm

I'm sure it will. Leno has one on the way from what I understand. I was just making an observation with the electric Atom. Not a prediction that it wouldn't happen.

patentshark

Post by patentshark » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:32 pm

In Illinois, I will be able to get away with just showing up at the DMV with paperwork for registration.  No inspection, the Atom is already in the DMV database.  The problem will be overzealous law enforcement agents desiring to crack down on a lack of a DOT approved windscreen and required wipers.

Hopefully, if I avoid any contact with the law by not getting caught speeding, I may also be able to avoid any problems about the windscreen and wipers. 

If I do get harassed about the windscreen, my wife will just have to use her POWERS of persuasion (show some cleavage in the passenger seat)...

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:58 pm

Just how is it listed in the DMV? And couldn't you just show them that listing and the overzealous cops go away without the need for a lap dance? :) Actually isn't the registration enough or are you more concerned with the fuzz messing with you using the windscreen issue as an excuse to do so?

Besides with all the questions above, I think if a cop wants to, they can always find SOME reason to mess with you and the Atom will definitely catch their eye.  They WILL want to chat you up regardless, especially on a slow day. Throw in the open design of the Atom and a cleavage sporting babe, well your odds just doubled of being pulled over. :)
Last edited by Driver on Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patentshark

Post by patentshark » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:18 pm

Regarding the DMV in Illinois, I had been going through the process for a "specially constructed vehicle."  After a few weeks of going through all the steps, the State Police and the DMV finally came back to me indicating that the "2006 Ariel Atom" appeared in the DMV database and therefore no more additional steps were required than for registering a brand new FORD...

It appears that the specially contructed vehicle process is mainly focused around verifying that the components used in the car are not stolen.  This is why they want receipts, etc. for the major components.  As long as the Atom showed up in the database as a new car, they can track (MSO) that it was actually purchased and not made from stolen parts. 

This allows me to skip the whole circus of inspection.  However, just because a car is registered does not necessarily mean that it is legal and road worthy.  Technically, all vehicles (with minor exceptions for classics, hots rods, etc.) have to include the required equipment to be road worthy.  The windscreen is just such an exception for those kinds of cars.  Yet, the atom, at least in Illinois will be considered a regular vehicle and must have all the required equipment. 

The windscreen is really the only component that I am worried about (and corresponding wipers).  I figure with the bubble and either goggles or full helmet, I should be able to make a very valid argument if the officer in question is willing to listen.  Helmet or goggles work for motorcycles in Illinois, so why not the Atom...

I plan to get pulled over for any number of reasons related to the UNIQUE nature of the Atom.  Hopefully, the reasons will be to ask questions about the car and not to empty my pocketbook in fines.

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:53 pm

Well put.

Now do you want to post that cleavage shot so we can see what the cops get to see.  ;D ;D ;D ;D  :o

Sorry just couldn't resist...

patentshark

Post by patentshark » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:01 pm

[quote="Driver"]
Well put.

Now do you want to post that cleavage shot so we can see what the cops get to see.  ;D ;D ;D ;D  :o

Sorry just couldn't resist...
[/quote]

I was nearing divorce paperwork when I put my deposit down.  I think that may put me over the edge. ;)