Finger on the trigger

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
cshama

Finger on the trigger

Post by cshama » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:39 pm

Any more success stories registering the Atom?. I am anxious to put my order in but I am wondering how people are faring in getting the Atom registered, especially in the North  East

bolus

Re: Finger on the trigger

Post by bolus » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:10 pm

Mine is on order so I cant give you a success story but there is a ton of great feedback about Brammo and the quality of work they are doing.  I was really impressed after my visit and that pretty much sealed the deal for me.  I'm sure if I have any problems after delivery that they will be very easy to work with to get a good resolution.

So I think your biggest determinant to placing an order is how difficult it will be to register for street use.  I think if I wasn't in Oregon where is it comparably very easy, It would have made the decision a lot more difficult for me.  Some states it seems like it is near impossible to get registered or you have to wait for months for it to happen.  I would probably not have the patience as some of the other members here to deal with that much hassle.

What state in the NE are you planning on trying to register?

McFred

Post by McFred » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:49 pm

Finger on the trigger?  C'mon pull it, it won't hurt but for a second.  You have 6 months to reconsider.  What's the worst that can happen?  Your money is tied up for a little while and then you can sell it and get it all back, perhaps more from the impatient impulse shopper.  If the Atom can be made legal in California then it can be done most anywhere.  if nothing else buy a 1/4 acre lot in Arkansas and register it there.  What's another $1000 (or less) when you've spent $40,000 on the car itself? 

Do it.  Do it.  Do it. ;D

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:15 pm

True, you can always sell it if it does not work out.  Brammo said that they had offers on their demo car for $20K over the cost by people who did not want to wait

Myerfire48

Post by Myerfire48 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:47 pm

[quote="McFred"]
What's another $1000 (or less) when you've spent $40,000 on the car itself? 
[/quote]

And if $40,000 why not $65,000?

07Atom

Post by 07Atom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:10 am

[quote="Myerfire48"]
[quote="McFred"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

And if $65,000, why not $87,000?

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:49 pm

[quote="07Atom"]
[quote="Myerfire48"]
[quote="McFred"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

And if $65,000, why not $87,000?
[/quote]

Whatever it takes...

Myerfire48

Post by Myerfire48 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:31 pm

HAHA We share the same sickness.  Carbon fiber induced euphoria.

07Atom

Post by 07Atom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:55 pm

[quote="Myerfire48"]
HAHA We share the same sickness.  Carbon fiber induced euphoria.
[/quote]

Thankfully, I settled for the 65K range... My first order was well over 80K...  :-\

I think the options I revised will make the car more enjoyable for me... Starting with a decked out Atom definetly wouldn't have.  ;)

cshama

Post by cshama » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:13 pm

Ok I have decided to move ahead with the Atom . I am getting a cheap one, around 45k. I still think getting the car registered will be as big an adventure as driving one.

The 2 big reasons why Im going ahead are firstly I have a Lotus for fun driving ( i will use the Lotus spareingly for track days and midnight exursions where my Alabama plates wont bring unwanted attention so far from home )Also I will get my company to sponsor the car and absorb some of the cost.

What would be really cool is if we could form a spec atom racing league (something like spec miata)

Myerfire48

Post by Myerfire48 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:47 pm

[quote="cshama"]

what would be really cool is if we could form a spec atom racing league (something like spec miata)
[/quote]

From what I understand the SCCA is currently looking at something like this.  This is my primary interest with the car.  I want to progress into racing and was thinking the spec miata, since its the most competive class locally.  But the Miata is such a chic car (sorry Mr Woo, but you know its true) that if I caught myself driving one I'd have to kick my own arse.  The atom has saved me that embarrassment...

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 pm

[quote="cshama"]
Ok I have decided to move ahead with the Atom .
[/quote]

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery EUPHORIA!  :tu: :tu:

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:34 am

[quote="cshama"]
Ok I have decided to move ahead with the Atom . I am getting a cheap one, around 45k. I still think getting the car registered will be as big an adventure as driving one.

The 2 big reasons why Im going ahead are firstly I have a Lotus for fun driving ( i will use the Lotus spareingly for track days and midnight exursions where my Alabama plates wont bring unwanted attention so far from home )Also I will get my company to sponsor the car and absorb some of the cost.

What would be really cool is if we could form a spec atom racing league (something like spec miata)
[/quote]

Congrats,  I will have a little head start on getting through the reg process in the NorthEast....Between NY, VT, PA, KY and AL, I have seveal options...and will probably go through the process in 2 states at once... and bail out on the slower of the two after I get the plate from the quicker or sucessful state.