Keep the registration info flowing

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
cshama

Keep the registration info flowing

Post by cshama » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:37 am

After my depressing conversation with NY DMV I decided to hold off on buying the Atom for 6 months. I figured that it would benefit me for several reasons- including getting more info on registering the Atom. But I also had  $45k , some of it sponsorship money from my company, burning a hole in my pocket.

Reluctantly I went out and bought a Lotus Elise. I would have posted piix of the vehicle but my 3 year old decided to give  my digital camera a swimming lesson. I have always desliked the Lotus, mainly for its looks which I thought a little over the top but I needed to get a relatively hardcore road/track vehicle so the Elise or Exige is really the only choice. When i first spoke to the Lotus dealer he tried to badmouth the Atom, which further put me off. His attempts were  foiled by the fact that he didnt know what the Atom was ( the lotus' 0-60 times are faster he informed me  ::) )

In any case the Lotus turned out to be really a great little car and I think when I get the Atom  I will keep the Lotus as my pratical family man car  :) The Atom is really just a little more wild and viseral then the Lotus. I think both these cars are good substitutes for wannabe motorcyclists who want to keep all their limbs but the Atom has the edge for excitement and is much faster.

Please keep the info on registering the Atom flowing, the more information  the better for everyone I think. Once a state has okayed the car it sets a great precedent .

Hellooo Newman

cshama, congrats on your new Elise. I had one on order last year.

Post by Hellooo Newman » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:23 am

However, Lotus started to screw it's potential customers by raising the price a couple of times even though I had a firm order in with the dealer. I took a test drive in the new Porsche Boxster and fell in love with it. Plus it was easier to live with than the Elise.
I am still looking for a track car and have narrowed it down to either the Cat CSR 260 or the 300hp Atom. I just wish the registration and insurance issues regarding the Atom are ironed out very soon. I am leaning toward the Atom, since it outperforms the Cat and would end up about $20,000 cheaper than the Cat.
Is it a straightforward procedure to register and insure a Caterh_m, or is it still a battle with the establishment?
cheers

cshama

Re: Keep the registration info flowing

Post by cshama » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:41 am

Lotus tried to screw the customers but were foiled by lack of demand for the car ;D. I got about $7k of Msrp for a new 2005 lotus.Nevertheless I am having a blast with it right now.I paid $43k approx and it is worth every penny.

The CTRHAM can be registered but not easily  from my limited experience-it can be a real drag depending where you are. Imho the Atom is far superior to the CTRHAM car" in quite a few ways. This opinion is based on limited test drives in both recently . For me it is no competition especially as the Atom has the Ecotec engine which I think is ideally suited to the Atom.

Personally I found the "other track car" far less exciting then the Atom but then again I did not drive the CSR. I think if you test drive both you will choose the Atom as I did. Not to sound like a kool Aid drinker but the Atom is quite different from any other car I have driven.

As for Porsches - I used to have a 996 911 and you would have to pay me to get another one with the horrible mechanical difficulties I had. It was fast but oh so boring. :)

BTW why cant we write c a t e r h am - it always comes out as caterham. I have never seen anything so demented :)
Last edited by cshama on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Fielding

Re: Keep the registration info flowing

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:39 am

[quote="cshama"]

BTW why cant we write c a t e r h am - it always comes out as "other track car". I have never seen anything so demented :)
[/quote]

Ahhh, you've not lived then...! I've seen lots of things much more demented than that... but then, I reside in Camden Town...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London