South Carolina Registratrion

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
I Need an Atom

South Carolina Registratrion

Post by I Need an Atom » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:01 am

My name is Ron...and Like you guys/gals I really want an Atom.  Because SC has the slackist laws on emissions, exhaust sound, open wheels, and other features..its seems that it would be fairly simple to register here.  Do you guys have any suggestions as to getting it done here? People here really wouldn't know between a honda civic and a honda powered Atom.   

Do you guys get liability or full coverage on these things? I saw one guy said he paid 650 per year.  Also..have you guys seen the Volkswagon gx-3? It is a vw motorcycle built by VW that like the Atom has no doors, roof, or windscreen.  Couldn't the Atom be registered as a motorcycle of sorts? Seems like I saw somewhere where someone mentioned this....but I no no more than the info here. I really appreciate the help guys.

~Ron
Darlington SC

Deus

Re: South Carolina Registratrion

Post by Deus » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:37 am

Hi Ron,

Not sure about SC registration but VW officially cancelled the GX-3 program supposedly due to liability. If you removed one of the wheels from the Atom then yes it would be considered a trike and fall within the classification of a motorcycle. Unfortunatly such is not the case so you will have to do some parusing through your DMV's website or give someone a call over there.

1965Cobra427

Re: South Carolina Registratrion

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:42 pm

Arkansas seems to have similarly "slack" laws. My car was registered within an hour or so of beginning the process. I have reported on it here in several threads including http://forum.atomclub.com/https://atomc ... ic.php?t=5. The lack of awareness of the local regulators does seem to be a plus.

Insurance companies are a bit more savvy, but there are several out there that wil do the job. I'd do a little investigation of the SC regulations (can probably do that all online) and then GO FOR IT! I'm having a ball with mine.