Out of state registration .. in CA

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
vijen6

Out of state registration .. in CA

Post by vijen6 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Hey all,

Sorry if these has been covered in another topic, but I search and I couldn't find a definitive answer.

So the question(s):

#1A - If an atom has been road registered successfully in another state and has a VIN number.  If you bring that car to CA, can you get it registered and road legal here?
#1B - If yes in 1A, what do you still need all the receipts / documentations to prove that it was built as a kit car ?

Thanks!

Karl

Re: Out of state registration .. in CA

Post by Karl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:52 pm

[quote="vijen6"]
Hey all,

Sorry if these has been covered in another topic, but I search and I couldn't find a definitive answer.

So the question(s):

#1A - If an atom has been road registered successfully in another state and has a VIN number.   If you bring that car to CA, can you get it registered and road legal here?
#1B - If yes in 1A, what do you still need all the receipts / documentations to prove that it was built as a kit car ?

Thanks!
[/quote]

The reason why you couldn't find a definitive answer is that there is no definitive answer. States cannot issue valid federal VINs, and reciprocity only holds for as long as the out-of-state registration remains current. If you import a turnkey Atom into CA, you are importing a fully assembled motor vehicle, which by definition cannot be a SPCNS (special construction), and therefore cannot be registered as such. However, there have been precedents set for 1A... and it would be improper to name them as examples, as their registrations may be put in jeopardy.

Short answer: buy a new one, or a used one from in-state.