California registration

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
dp35

California registration

Post by dp35 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:39 pm

I've been doing a lot of research on the topic of California registration (when I should be working), and I found this article pretty informative:  http://www.nckcc.com/referenceinfo.html

One thing in this article that concerned me was this statement; "the Smog Referee will verify that your vehicle has the appropriate smog equipment and meets the tailpipe emission standards for the year of the engine. Your engine must be equipped with all smog devices (e.g. air pumps, exhaust gas recirculation, catalyst, computer, as applicable) that your engine had when it came from the factory in a new car."

I'm not worried about the Honda or GM powered Atom passing the emissions part of the smog test, but if the Smog Referee decides he doesn't like the car, I'd be concerned that he might look for a reason to not pass it, like if it doesn't have the stock EGR or some kind of smog pump, etc.  Does anyone know if the Atom has all of the smog equipment that comes on factory cars using the same engines (Honda or GM)?  If not, it might need to be installed to get through the Smog Referee's inspection, even if its temporary.

There was a lot of similar discussion in this thread about Oregon registration:  http://www.nckcc.com/referenceinfo.html 
In that thread Patenshark brought up a good point, that even if the car passes smog (which I think it will), there could be problems with other things, like the lack of a windshield or bumpers.  I tried to find some info about this requirement, and had no luck.  The DMV info only talks about the requirement of a "light and brake certificate".  I also tried to find out exactly what it takes to get that cert, and came up empty again.  Does anyone know this stuff, is there a checklist?

Driver

Re: California registration

Post by Driver » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:22 pm

The operative sentence in that requirement is:
"Your engine must be equipped with all smog devices (e.g. air pumps, exhaust gas recirculation, catalyst, computer, as applicable) that your engine had when it came from the factory in a new car."
In this case Brammo IS the factory. GM is the engine supplier only. You are not planning on messing with the engine emissions or software stuff after the fact are you?

dp35

Post by dp35 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:45 pm

I disagree.  If this is to be considered a kit car, Brammo is only selling you the chassis.  Brammo isn't an auto manufacturer per se.  The sell kits.  You get the engine from another source (with help from Brammo), and have it installed (possibly by Brammo).  I know what you're saying, if its a brand new crate engine, it was never in a car previously, so the Atom is it. 

But what I'm concerned about is a hardnosed Smog Referee who decides he doesn't like you, the car, his job...or whatever, so he throws the book at you and, right or wrong, uses that language to deny you the smog certificate, even though the car passes the emissions test.  In that case he might look at whatever cars the engine was originally designed for (Civics, Cobalts...) and require you to have all the same smog equipment as those cars. 

patentshark

Post by patentshark » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:46 pm

Figure out who will be inspecting the car, ie. which governmental entity, and try to get a look at the checklist they use. 

In IL, the Secretary of State Police inspects all specially constructed vehicles.  I was able to get a hold of the officer in charge of the program and she sent a packet of information including a generic version of the checklist that they use. 

Besides that, you may also want to check the CA vehicle statutes.  This should be available online from the state.  It can be a pretty tiring process reading through legalese in a statute, but you need to know what potential problems may lay ahead. 

It can be comforting to know that there may be an Atom already registered in "X" state, but you never know if the car was accepted under some exception or special circumstance. 

Ultimately, I found out that in IL, the car should be able to be registered just like any used car...just walk into the DMV and pay the fees and taxes, no inspection.  I think I should have no problem in IL, but until MY ATOM is registered, I will still have some worries.  Good luck.

PS. Last I heard from Brammo, they are not considered a manufacturer...

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:51 pm

Sorry I was posting as if one were to take delivery of the complete vehicle, not the separate kit car version. My bad.

Would Ariel be considered a manufacturer? of course, if they were, then youhave problems that they don't put an Eco int herir cars in the UK. On the other hand Brammo could be considered a "plant" as it is built under license. Get's complicated real fast.... :(

dp35

Post by dp35 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:58 pm

I believe that even when you take delivery of a complete vehicle, you are technically buying a kit car.  Brammo sells you the chassis, you buy the engine from GM and have it delivered to Brammo, and you pay Brammo to assemble your "kit" car. 

AFAIK - all of this is done this way to avoid Brammo being a genuine auto manufacturer in the eyes of the law.  Because if they were, there would be all sorts of issues that would have to be addressed, and the Atom wouldn't exist as we know it. 

patentshark

Post by patentshark » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:04 am

[quote="dp35"]
I believe that even when you take delivery of a complete vehicle, you are technically buying a kit car.  Brammo sells you the chassis, you buy the engine from GM and have it delivered to Brammo, and you pay Brammo to assemble your "kit" car. 
[/quote]

Don't say the phrase "kit car" too much.  According to the IL DMV, I will be registering the Atom as a new vehicle and not a kit or specially constructed vehicle.  Same thing with my insurance...

Don't jinx me....

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:28 am

ok patentshark...are you in cali...how do you plan to reg. atom as a new car. I was thinking about this too....atom does have a VIN#...

patentshark

Post by patentshark » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:48 am

Not in Cali (thankfully...).  I am in Illinois.  I spent a couple weeks playing phone tag with the Illinois DMV and Secretary of State Police trying to figure out how to register the car.  I got all of the info regarding specially constructed vehicles, as that was how I figured the car would be registered.

I finally found out that if the car has a VIN and a manufacturers statement of origin, I am pretty much set as far as registering the car, just like a "new car."  As a bonus, the DMV informed me the "2006 Ariel Atom" appears in the DMV database.  Therefore, its simply a matter of going to the DMV with the paperwork, fees and taxes. 

When it comes down to specially constructed vehicles in Illinois, they focus on making sure the components are not stolen and that the state gets its fair share of the "use tax" from the value of the components.  They do also perform an inspection of specially constructed vehicles.  However, as indicated above, I should be able to simply walk into the DMV with no inspection.  I've got my fingers crossed for the next couple months till the car has got plates on it.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:05 am

Here are some more relevant links regarding the CA SB100 registration, including a step-by-step guide, courtesy of our friends at the California Katerham (sp) Club:

Here's a link to a forum thread discussing the process

Here's a link to a Word document which provides a step-by-step guide.  You will get prompted for a username/password for this link...simply click cancel to get past it and view the document.  I'd suggest you also save the document to your local computer, just in case it is taken offline or made less public.  I would upload it for use on the board, but am unsure where it could be placed.  Looks like an EXCELLENT addition for the AAOC library.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:55 am

MrWoolery,

I put the word document up as is in a topic with the title of the write-up. Did what I could quickly to make it keep the same formatting as it already had.

It is here:
[align=center]How to register your Specially Constructed Vehicle in California[/align]

No need to save it to your drive now. FWIW

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:11 pm

NOICE!  :tu:

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:18 pm

Could we put a sticky on the How-To Guide topic so that it doesn't disappear and become an oft-asked question again?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:06 pm

Your wish...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:38 pm

Shiney Donkeys!  :)