SB-100 in 2010

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
atomathics

SB-100 in 2010

Post by atomathics » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:43 am

In 2010, January 4 will be the first day to apply for an SB-100 number in California.  It's been kinda quiet here lately, so I'm wondering if there are going to be any Atoms in California getting numbers...

I was doing a little searching and came across this posting on a Cobra forum.  How things have changed in only two years!
Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN 
I will be using one of the Fresno offices, but will be rolling the dice and waiting until February this time. Some numbers were available later in the year last time so I want to wait for my company bonus to pay the fees.
Doug

Don't worry about all the numbers being gone on January 4th. I got mine in July of this year. After the initial rush on January 2nd, there were almost a hundred numbers unclaimed, and I'm betting with the economy, and the number of questions regarding the SB100 numbers and process, there will be lots left after the first rush.

Chatter about the process is way down this year as opposed to the last few years.
I guess the mad scrum for numbers in 07 and 08 was just another indicator of the overheated economy.  And if the above post is to be believed, numbers lasted weeks into 2009 -- that's just crazy.

Anyway, if there's anyone here going to the DMV tomorrow in search of their SB-100, best of luck for 2010!

a

nickpoore

Re: SB-100 in 2010

Post by nickpoore » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:40 am

Last year there were 10+ people waiting outside my local DMV.

Personally, I registered my car BEFORE the January SB100 rush, and then applied for the SB100 on the first DMV day of January.

Like last year, I will get up early, go to the doghnut store, go to Starbucks, and treat everyone waiting in like to coffee and doghnuts. :D

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:52 pm

[quote="Nicholas"]
Like last year, I will get up early, go to the doghnut store, go to Starbucks, and treat everyone waiting in like to coffee and doghnuts. :D
[/quote]

I'm really curious to see how many people show up.  I'm guessing it's going to be a small turnout.

And if I had known you you were doing donut delivery, I would have told you to come to my DMV!

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:22 am

There were 3 people in line when I got there at 3am.
(They enjoyed the coffee & doghnuts, and we hung out and talked cars for an hour or so - mostly cobra's.)

They confirmed that their web forum said that SB100's were available until March/April of last year.

I would say that yes, the economy is slowing down this stuff.
If I were registering a car this year, you can bet I would have been in line at 3am regardless of what rumors I heard.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:51 am

[quote="Nicholas"]
I would say that yes, the economy is slowing down this stuff.
If I were registering a car this year, you can bet I would have been in line at 3am regardless of what rumors I heard.
[/quote]

I heard from a good source today that the DMV had 2009 numbers into June!

Still, I'd have been in line this morning, too, if I needed a number.  You never know how many people might have hit PowerBall in late December and decided to go all out for the New Year!

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:45 pm

If you purchased an Atom that has been previously registered in Ca. and has a Ca. title,do you have to do the sb-100 routine?Can you just go to the registry of motor vehicles and apply for plates? 8)

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:48 am

If the car has been previously registered in California, it will (probably) have been through SB100.
SB100 is basically smog exemption, and last for the life of the car.  There should also be a sticker on the chassis somewhere (mine is on the firewall.)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:22 am

Thanks,Nicholas. ;D

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 am

Talk to two people at the DMV and you're likely to get two different stories.

I was told by a local DMV employee handling SB-100s in 2009 that the exemption is not transferrable to a subsequent owner, and that subsequent owner would have to apply for a new number if they wanted to have the exemption.

I don't know if that's true, but this employee was very emphatic that he was right and that he had verified this with the state.  Personally, I agree with Nick -- it goes with the car, but if I were BUYING an Atom that already had an SB-100 and was going to re-register it in California, I'd sure do my due diligence with Sacramento and find out for sure.

A few months ago I had a call in to a nearby Referee -- he was going to ask Sacramento what the story was, but I never heard back.  Might be worthwhile following up on that...