Registration

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
wisp

Re: Registration

Post by wisp » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:57 pm

[quote="patentshark"]
This is exactly the procedure that I went through.  Just walked in with the MCO, Bill of Sale and invoice.  Paid my taxes and received my plates. 

Don't simply assume this can't be done in your state, that is, unless you live in California...
[/quote]

Well done patentshark :tu:  :tu:

Your profile says IL, how many other states have given registration to Atoms as a normal vehicle?

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:07 am

Im probably looking too deep into this.. I say go for it and just reg it and see what happens from there Cshama

Futher good news for you

Which vehicles must get the new OBDII test?
The new OBDII test is required for any gas-powered vehicle that is not exempt from emissions inspection and that:

Has a model year of 1996 or newer
Is more than two model years old
Displays a weight that is less than 8,501 lbs. on the vehicle registration.

So no OBD for new cars. !!!!

But...here are the REAL inspection requirements in NYS, apposed to the abbreviated version posted above. (Most stuff doesnt get in depth till like page 55)  In some ways its less stringent than I recall, as I confuded things such as the need for multi-speed wipers with Vermont regulations or homebuilt NYS regulations.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/cr79.pdf
Last edited by Jammer on Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:59 am

Here some interesting info on all the recent and upcoiming Bills in legislation...the web site link is also loaded with decent info... just not much that seem to help us directly... click on your state on the left side to see upcoming and dead bills  ...  http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61694
Last edited by Jammer on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:28 am

[quote="Jammer"]
Here some interesting info on all the recent and upcoiming Bills in legislation...the web site link is also loaded with decent info... just not much that seem to help us directly... click on your state on the left side to see upcoming and dead bills ... http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61694
[/quote]

This is what I was meaning when I previously posted the comment about being more proactive to have the law amended....

[quote="wisp"]
When it comes to government departments, my experience has been to go by way of your elected representative. After all you vote for them to get their job.
[/quote]

and got pooped at by Bruce..

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Yeah. Right. Take the Federal and State legislatures on... I've always admired optimism...
[/quote]

I was lead to believe that lobbying was a very important part of the American democratic and legal system.

Jammer, the organization you have posted looks like it gets laws changed for motor enthusiasts and even has step by step instructions on how to go about it : A Guide To Lobbying Your Elected Officials.

It sounds like you need a bill passed that provides an exemption for open wheeler vehicles from having window screens and wipers, if for example the occupants wear safety glasses/goggles or a helmet. (a bit of give and take  ;))

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:52 am

A lot of people may be led down that road. Of course to get around it Brammo could use a flathead Ford or a old 4 cyl model T engine.. no going to happen. Lobbying usually doesn't work at the State level unless you have a "in" with a VIP somewhere or your organization has MASSIVE numbers to wield some clout with. That's why so many riders get attached to important legislation. Pork is a big part of american Politics. Somebody needs to get some Atom Pork attached to Federal Bills. :)

cshama

Post by cshama » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:54 am

It should be remembered that Brammo is an american manufacturing company in a country where manufacturing is dying out. Britain has the same situation and that is why they passed a law allowing home grown eccentric vehicles on the road. We should be able to pass the same law in this country. Doing this would ensure Brammos long term viability.

Also while I respect people trying to go the correct means to register the Atom I also feel that the DMV is acting ridiculously. Afterall how dangerous are motorbikes. Our one bit of good fortune is that the DMV is not manned by the best and the brightest so finding a loophole should be possible.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:59 am

Actually, I've been reading over the SEMA action network site tonight and they seem to be doing a great job working on these issues.  It looks like they helped get assembled vehicles exempt from emission testing in my state too (starting after 2009)

It is good to know a group like this is out there.  

Perhaps we should sign up as a group?

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60129
http://www.semasan.com/san/ClubSignup.aspx

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:21 am

I have been with SEMA a while, for other reasons.... but as far as changing legislation, it costs big.. lobbiests are needed and it takes years... SEMA has been organizing and collecting $ for years, but they did make headway...again, with a large budget.

07Atom

Post by 07Atom » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:34 pm

Let's sign up as a club... maybe "Ariel Atom Owners Club of America" or something similar.. ???

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:27 pm

The PA House Bill that exempted hot rods from fenders and bumpers took years to pass after extensive lobbying by literally thousands of people, as compared to the handful of Atom owners in each individual state.

Why is there discussion of the OBDII test?  My 230 bhp Atom passed fine.

cshama

Post by cshama » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:18 pm

[quote="Matt F"]e.

Why is there discussion of the OBDII test?  My 230 bhp Atom passed fine.
[/quote]

Good to know. Are youi saying no codes were thrown up?

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:26 pm

I don't think so.  I also don't imagine why they would.  The Ecotec Atom is as clean in emissions as any modern car.  (Keep your cat on for testing, of course.)

silversurfer

Post by silversurfer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:40 pm

[quote="patentshark"]
This is exactly the procedure that I went through.  Just walked in with the MCO, Bill of Sale and invoice.  Paid my taxes and received my plates. 

Don't simply assume this can't be done in your state, that is, unless you live in California...
[/quote]

ditto. try it guys, don't spend weeks stressing about it until you've actually tried it. Or better yet, call your licensing offices and ask, "can I register a new car if I give you an MSO/title and a bill of sale?" It was that easy for me.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:47 pm

[quote="Matt F"]
I don't think so.  I also don't imagine why they would.  The Ecotec Atom is as clean in emissions as any modern car.  (Keep your cat on for testing, of course.)
[/quote]

Matt, the ecotec regularly throws a few codes based on lack of a GM instrument panel connected to the car and some air intake issues.  I would be very curious to know if you have any codes showing up but still passed emission testing.  The reported common codes are:

P0101    Mass Air Flow System Performance - Due to air intake design. 
P0230    Fuel Pump Relay Control Circuit  - due to the immobilizer
P0650    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit - due to lack of check engine light

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:23 pm

That's interesting.  I honestly don't know if the inspection station got those codes or not.  I can check.