email notifications stopped all of a sudden

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
wasp

Re: email notifications stopped all of a sudden

Post by wasp » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:39 am

[quote="Bod :)"]
[quote="Richard Lucking"]
I've not had anything here for a couple of weeks now... If Bod hadn't mentioned it in the pub, I'd probably never have logged in again! :)

Rich
[/quote]

How ironic that my first email notification for several weeks should be for this post!

Bod
[/quote]
+1
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

ross

Post by ross » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:21 am

Must have been something at the hosting company - I didn't do anything other than email them to query if they'd changed something at their end that may have affected these.

Cheers, Ross.

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:23 pm

Mine's just stopped again, in the middle of the day!
I know I live in Somerset, but........... :(
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:40 pm

Notifications stopped again. The last one I received was at 15-Aug-2009 11:44:49.83 (EDT).

Based on that time, I expect this was due to the forum migration. Is it possible that the board is still trying to use the former ISP's mail server and being rejected?

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:23 pm

Maybe because of some vulnerability fixed in the last EIGHT updates of the SMF software. Currently we're at 1.1.2 and 1.1.10 is the newest. I was thinking the transition to a new server would mean the latest version... ???

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:40 am

The forum software will be being updated, but only once we have made sure the migration has worked fully. So, we will need Piers to look into the notification problem. I will PM him.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:18 pm

unfortunately, he'll never get the PM, because the notifications are down  8)

ross

Post by ross » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:29 pm

Yep, that's true although I presume Richard meant 'email him' rather than PM.

Before I removed my Administrator status yesterday, I did see that Piers had reconfig'd the forum to use a new email server so that's probably where the issue lies.  it's nothing to do with it running on 1.1.2 version of the forum software.

Cheers, Ross.

bm97ppc

Post by bm97ppc » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:36 pm

Should be fixed now well yesterday actually, I forgot to authorise the new server, I was still getting notifications because i am effectively inside the network so didn't notice the problem.

Yes I will be upgrading the forum, but as Richard said I want to be sure that there is no problems caused by move first. BTW I got a test site running the latest version, don't hold your breath i haven't noticed any new features yet.

Piers

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:12 pm

[quote="Piers Chandler"]
Yes I will be upgrading the forum, but as Richard said I want to be sure that there is no problems caused by move first. BTW I got a test site running the latest version, don't hold your breath i haven't noticed any new features yet.[/quote]

Does the new version have an "ignore user" setting? Like this.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:45 pm

I'd like to see a "ignore thread" option. That way when you do a show all unread threads all the joke/trivia off topic stuff is gone.

bm97ppc

Post by bm97ppc » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:43 pm

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="Piers Chandler"]
Yes I will be upgrading the forum, but as Richard said I want to be sure that there is no problems caused by move first. BTW I got a test site running the latest version, don't hold your breath i haven't noticed any new features yet.[/quote]

Does the new version have an "ignore user" setting? Like this.
[/quote]

That is a Mod/Hack and not part a of a release as far as I'm aware. So far the Mod / hacks i've tried haven't really worked. I'm afraid i don't do PHP, my expertise is server setup, SQL and many other aspects including other languages such as ColdFusion but not PHP. Any Gurus out there then I'm more then to give you access to a test server which you can have a go, as long as you can prove it is stable, and will not affect any future upgrade then i will add to to the main site.

Piers

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:14 pm

[quote="Piers Chandler"]That is a Mod/Hack and not part a of a release as far as I'm aware.[/quote]

I was hoping that since it hadn't been updated as a standalone mod for quite some time, that it (or a similar feature) had been integrated in the main software.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:40 pm

how about embedding some [youtube][/youtube]

ross

Post by ross » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:05 am

[quote="Piers Chandler"]
and will not affect any future upgrade
[/quote]

Yeah, that was always my concern with any kind of customisations to the forum code to be honest.