animated GIF's for your icon

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
Driver

Re: animated GIF's for your icon

Post by Driver » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:41 am

You need to set white to be transparent. The GIF software should have a way to do it.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:42 am

[quote="Driver"]
You need to set white to be transparent. The GIF software should have a way to do it.
[/quote]

Really?  I haven't seen it.  I have to create the files out of Cyclone and then I was converting them to gif in Camtasia.  I will look

I am using Camtasia version 3.1.  I think that there is a much newer one here somewhere.  Thanks for the heads up Ken
Last edited by NormLarson on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:00 am

You need different GIF/graphics software then... Camtasia looks to be more video oriented than graphics. Also looks like a lot of empty space on the sides of the animation. You could cut 2-3 pixels off either side, resize it and wind up with a larger more defined animation. This is all nitpicking but when logos get smaller than 90 pixels it's significant. It can be tedious, might just leave as is.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:08 am

Yes, Camtasia is what we use to produce screen capture video presentations.  What software have you had good luck using for gif's?

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:28 am

Last time I messed with one it was using a little utility called, apply, "GifBuilder". You had individual gifs done in photoshop or the like. You'd take each frame loaded in a window, arranged them in order, set the delay between the frame, whether to loop or not, transparency if desired then told it to save the animated gif. It's pretty straightforward.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:46 am

That sounds time consuming!  I was using full frame avi's and converting them to gif's.  I am also playing with fla and swf, both have some amazing capabilities! 

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:46 am

I thought the entire idea was to do animated avatars which require gif, png, or jpg? And only GIF allows movement. If it's to do a sequence for posting larger sizes on the web then look no further than H.264 encoded mp4 movies.
Last edited by Driver on Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:13 pm

My bad!  I was looking into fla and swf for another purpose.  The gifs were just for fun and I made some signatures for our corporate emails.  Those had little to no Atom in them

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:45 am

Thanks Driver I was able to get it to work Image   My existing scanner does not do well on shinny black and therefore it looks like some of the bars and pieces are missing.  Unless it got a straight shot at shinny black it did not register the shot.  I will be purchasing a phase based scanner in the near future that will not have that issue.  That should give a point cloud that can print in a 3D printer.  This one would, I think, ... a phase based would be more complete
Last edited by NormLarson on Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.