C@terham - the "other track day" car

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.

Should the board substitute a different name for certain car models?

You may select 1 option

View results

Driver

Re: C@terham - the "other track day" car

Post by Driver » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:25 am

But you can't type C-a-t-e-r-h-a-m or C-a-t-e-r-h-a-m's without the board replacing it with the text. People don't know what it means the first few times they see it and when it happens to them it disturbs what they are trying to say. Plain and simple, it's not what they intend. And no, I don't know what other cars it will do this with, there's no list that I've seen of cars names that the forum software will replace or a list of acceptable ones other than a few I've seen and mentioned. So if I were to mention x-car I'm taking a shot as to whetehr what I type will be seen. That's my objection most of all, the search engines results, etc... is just a side effect. It's not like I'm mad as hell or anything like that, it's just silly.

As far as the Miata being Japanese, what does that have to do with what I posted? If it's what I think you were aiming at, US sold Japanese vehicles are well represented in US print media. They buy a lot of ads and advertise even more so on US television. Many are being manufactured here in the states as well. I used it as an example of what people here may think of when they consider vehicles for track day cars that are still street legal. Sure there's more especially if you throw in AutoX (the Mini, Imprezza's, Subaru's, S2000's) but the Atom doesn't even enter into the US consciousness. I tried to keep my examples with the correct wheels being driven (RWD). You can also throw in the exotic here and there as well.  911's and a Ferrari or Lambo being more rare. Maybe when some Atom's start hitting the streets and showing up at meets people that have seen what they can do will spread the word. But the media acceptance I beleive will be slower to react unless they have someone on staff to pick up the ball that's biased because they have one or want one themselves. It just seems that as I've mentioned before, what gets written about over here is what has been advertised already or will be in the next few months on those same pages. A jaded view? Yes (I'm not optimistic when it comes to this). Am I wrong? Read Car & Criver, Hot Rod, or Import Tuner from month to month for example and see what I mean.

And yes disecting it to this extent is silly, chalk it up to too much time on my hands. I'm stopping now.

ka mano

Post by ka mano » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:46 am

Whew, I'm glad you quickly got back on that media acceptance thing or whatever you were going on about.  You know how uncomfortable it makes me completely agreeing with you!             :)

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:31 am

[quote="benyeats"]
Actually the Caterrham in that picture looks pretty cool to me.  Before I get flamed obviously not as cool as an Atom and not so cool as I would contort myself to fit in one but not bad

Ben

[/quote]
Very mellow words for a rugby player - who did you spear into the turf? Sorry, should I have said ruggers for you English boys :)

ross

Post by ross » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:17 am

[quote="ka mano"]
Ross, if you're telling me how you feel as an individual and that my posting made for an unpleasant experience for you, I will, indeed, try to be more mindful and to respect your sense of civility (of course, as a civilian, you can choose not to read this thread if it unsettles you).  It wasn't clear to me that you werenâ??t flashing your badge and writing me a warning.
[/quote]

My ONLY issue was simply that your post came across as a needlessly angry demand - if you have a request and you'd like it heard, simply try and express it in a less 'angry' way and there won't be a problem.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:20 am

I was booking my ticket to Baghdad for a rest!!

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:50 am

Firstly, I should say I don't care either way. It just doesn't seem important to me.

Secondly, I know that this word replacement is generally a tricky area when it comes to the law. Its something along the lines that by 'monitoring' certain words, you are taking on the responsibility to monitor all content. What you don't want to do is get yourself in a position where legally you are considered to be regulating all content. If that were the case and someone expressed an opinion that, for example, insighted racism, and that comment was not removed, then, because you are 'monitoring' content, you could be held responsible for that comment. If you took the stance that it is impossible to monitor all content, then you cannot be held responsible. PLEASE don't take my word for any of that, as I am not a lawyer, I just read something along those lines and thought you guys my like to know.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

Atom120

Post by Atom120 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:08 am

There really isn't a legal issue here given the disclaimers people agree to when registering for the forum - and even if there was, it wouldn't be relevant as noone's going to put up the money to fight it!

I think its all quite amusing, and that more people should vote in the other poll ...voting's going quite well...

And on the subject of Caterhams, if I had the money, I'd have one in addition to my Atom. I quite like them.

ka mano

Post by ka mano » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:14 am

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
[quote="ka mano"]
Ross, if you're telling me how you feel as an individual and that my posting made for an unpleasant experience for you, I will, indeed, try to be more mindful and to respect your sense of civility (of course, as a civilian, you can choose not to read this thread if it unsettles you).  It wasn't clear to me that you werenâ??t flashing your badge and writing me a warning.
[/quote]

My ONLY issue was simply that your post came across as a needlessly angry demand - if you have a request and you'd like it heard, simply try and express it in a less 'angry' way and there won't be a problem.

[/quote]

Thanks, Ross.  Just so I'm clear, you're saying there will be a problem if someone's manner of expression crosses some yet-to-be disclosed threshold you have for anger, at least without establishing it as needful according to criteria you have yet to share with us?  How would that person experience it as problemmatic?

Would you please answer these and the other questions I've asked you?

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:17 am

Oh for goodness sake!!!

Go have a cuppa tea, read a few jokes and for God's sake chill-out. It's supposed to be fun, like owning an Atom!

Atom120

Post by Atom120 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:32 am

[quote="AtomFun"]
Go have a cuppa tea, read a few jokes and for God's sake chill-out.
[/quote]
Tea!

Best suggestion I've read in the entire thread!

White with two please...

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:02 am

yup .....  and a dose of humor (spelt wronly on purpose)

ross

Post by ross » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:07 am

Yeah, this has been done to death now.

Atom120

Post by Atom120 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:31 am

[quote="AtomFun"]
yup .....  and a dose of humor (spelt wronly on purpose)
[/quote]
Yeah, but I'm still waiting for my tea John - I thought you'd have brought it over to me by now! I hope you're not going to suggest I go and make the cuppa myself...

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:37 pm

I would never suggest any man makes a cuppa tea, I mean what are women for? What have women ever done for us?

Hey, pop into Autocom and find out what's new in their 2006 product line.

smithers

Post by smithers » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:08 pm

some more un p-c homour

why are women's feet so small?

so they can get closer to the sink  ;D

I think there may be a difference in views between the english and the rest of the world here  ;)

I personally find it hilarious to see caterham spelt this way - doh!

doesn't mean to say i hate 'those' cars though, each to their own