delete post option gone?

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
KK

delete post option gone?

Post by KK » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:28 pm

I seem to remeber that prior to the forum upgrade one had the option to delete (one's own) posts. This seems to no longer be available - unless I am missing something here.

In exchange for the function to delete single posts which appears to be missing now, a new option to delete one's own threads complteley has been added.

In other words you can delete a complete thread provided you have started it (including all posts regardless of the poster), but you can't delete your own / a single posts anymore from any thread.

Is there any specific reason for the current setting? If it is it an option I would suggest to turn it on again.

Alec

Re: delete post option gone?

Post by Alec » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:01 pm

[quote="Alec"]
Klaus, I still seem to have the delete button so I'll try to delete this post to see if it works.
[/quote]

Now if it works, this post will stay and the one above that I've quoted will be deleted.

***EDIT*** Seemed to work for me as it has definitely gone.
Last edited by Alec on Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:32 pm

Deleting post or threads is a BAD IDEA. It allows people to say stuff and then have it disappear and be unaccountable for any fallout if they go off on a rant. It's one thing to edit your own post, another to make it disappear altogether.

Karl

Post by Karl » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:33 pm

I can still delete my own posts... there is a "Delete" button next to the "Modify" and "Quote" buttons on each post.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:35 pm

I know you can, I'm just stating my opinion. The server admin can toggle those settings and that's the way it's currently set up.

Alec

Post by Alec » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:05 pm

I only deleted my first post above to prove a point.

If I'm commenting on an important point in someone else's post then I try to remember to quote it as it is then retained in the reply, like my deleted post is above.

This way the reference that you are commenting on can not be deleted by the person making the original post.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

KK

Post by KK » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:15 am

[quote="Karl"]
I can still delete my own posts... there is a "Delete" button next to the "Modify" and "Quote" buttons on each post.
[/quote]
That's what I seemed to remember as well. For me however the button that your are referring to appears no longer to be available: There's definitely no "Delete" button next to the available "Modify" and "Quote" button (unless I am blind). ???

Attached is a screen print of my first post within this thread and it proves there's no "Delete" button (or at least one I am unable to spot).
Attachments
screen print.jpg
screen print.jpg (113.14 KiB) Viewed 515 times

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:07 am

It may be that those who have not joined the AAOC aren't able to. Not stating this as fact, but I know you're right about what options are available to you, Klaus.

Alec is a club member and so may have extra rights...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:12 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[/quote]

Fame at last.  :tu:

KK

Post by KK » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:35 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
It may be that those who have not joined the AAOC aren't able to. Not stating this as fact, but I know you're right about what options are available to you, Klaus.

[/quote]
You may be right here as all of those who, in this thread, have confirmed that they can delete their posts are either Moderators or Club Members.

Nevertheless it must also be linked to the forum software upgrade as before the upgrade I had the functionaliyt / privileges to delete posts. Prior to the upgrade however the option to delete complete threads was not available to me which now is.

Any specific reasons why deleting single post is (now) restricted to Club Members only? If not, could it be changed back?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:41 am

I don't know. I don't run the software.

Then again... anything that encourages people to join up is fine by me.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:41 am

edit
Last edited by Alec on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:43 am

[quote="Alec"]
There is a simple way around this to delete what you have said in a post.
[/quote]

Just edit or modify your post by deleting the wording as above.

Although it won't accept an empty post hence entering the word 'edit' above.
Last edited by Alec on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

KK

Post by KK » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:44 am

I know what you mean - you can simply modify your post to be empty.

But that triggers the question why the delete post option is restricted if you can achieve the same result by other means. And it was available before.

If one does this, one might rightly be called a post whore though. Not adding value, but increasing the post count ...
I doubt whether that's the intention of the forum.
Last edited by KK on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:56 am

[quote="1st Austrian Atom 2 [Klaus]"]
I know what you mean - you can simply modify your post to be empty.

But that triggers the question why the delete post option is restricted if you can achieve the same result by other means. And it was available before.

If one does this, one might rightly be called a post whore though. Not adding value, but increasing the post count ...
I doubt whether that's the intention of the forum.
[/quote]

Actually on Pistonheads I started a thread that was deleted, and as such the posts were removed from my tally so deleting threads does not help post whore wise ! (at least with that particular forum SW)

If enough other forum users agree I will test this by deleting the movie and song title threads ;)

Ben