Upgraded to latest version of forum...

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
Driver

Re: Upgraded to latest version of forum...

Post by Driver » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:08 pm

Why have all the user uploaded pictures gone to the size of postage stamps?

Now you have to click the file name and open the full size image just to see if it is interesting or not. A complete waste of time.

IMHO the smaller size of the images is a step backwards. Sorry. 
I found the setting in the new software and changed it. You should be seeing them regular sized now.

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:17 pm

I don't know if this is a small fault in the upgraded version but I just noticed a post using subscript and the bottom half of the words were cut off.

Here it is:-

[quote="Atom120"]
[quote="Ultrasound"]
The real point is this, I'm a scruffy get and young
[/quote]

That's the beauty of Ariel - no matter what you look like, you're still going to look smarter than Tom  ;)
(only joking Tom...)
[/quote]

***EDIT***   That's funny, it looks OK here but not in the original post.   ???
Last edited by Alec on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

KK

Post by KK » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:26 pm

[quote="Alec"]
I don't know if this is a small fault in the upgraded version but I just noticed a post using subscript and the bottom half of the words were cut off.
[/quote]
Looks o.k. for me in the post you refer to provided your subscipt is about the text (only joking Tom...).

I would have done it slightly differently anway: (only joking Tom...) as it is not really a subscript due to it being in a line of its own.

ross

Post by ross » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:42 pm

[quote="wisp"]

Now you have to click the file name and open the full size image just to see if it is interesting or not. A complete waste of time.

IMHO the smaller size of the images is a step backwards. Sorry.  :(
[/quote]

I'll see if it's a configurable option (I actually prefer it this way anyhow myself so it's really a subjective thing), but if not, tough I'm afraid - you can always moan at the people who develop the SMF forum software and give it away for free for people like us to use.

Cheers, Ross.

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:48 pm

[quote="1st Austrian Atom 2 [Klaus]"]
[quote="Alec"]
[/quote]
Looks o.k. for me in the post you refer to provided your subscipt is about the text (only joking Tom...).

I would have done it slightly differently anway: (only joking Tom...) as it is not really a subscript due to it being in a line of its own.
[/quote]

The original still only shows the top of the words for me so the letter "o" is cut through the middle and is just a small inverted letter "u".
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:49 pm

Ross McWilliam wrote:
wisp wrote: Why have all the user uploaded pictures gone to the size of postage stamps?

IMHO the smaller size of the images is a step backwards. Sorry.  :(
I'll see if it's a configurable option (I actually prefer it this way anyhow myself so it's really a subjective thing), but if not, tough I'm afraid - you can always moan at the people who develop the SMF forum software and give it away for free for people like us to use.

Cheers, Ross.
I think Driver's fixed it.
Driver wrote:

IMHO the smaller size of the images is a step backwards. Sorry. 
I found the setting in the new software and changed it. You should be seeing them regular sized now.

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:24 am

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]

Cheers, Ross.
[/quote]

Now why would I moan at those kind people when I can moan at you lot.  :laugh:

Thanks for configuring the images to the larger display option. Your eyesight is obviously much better than mine.

I notice that posts no longer display the presence of uploaded images if you're not logged in. Is that good or bad. :-\ Another a subjective thing.

Cheers for all the good work guys.  :tu:
Last edited by wisp on Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:33 am

how about inline image sizes?

If I use an image tag like this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/wires2.jpg[/img]
it gets automatically changed to

[img width=640 height=480]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/wires2.jpg[/img]
where the the width and height are not changeable.  Anyway to at least make it changeable? 

ross

Post by ross » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:51 am

[quote="wisp"]
I notice that posts no longer display the presence of uploaded images if you're not logged in. Is that good or bad. :-\ Another a subjective thing.
[/quote]

Thanks, this has been fixed.  It was just a missing permission on the guests account.

ross

Post by ross » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:52 am

Sorry, I've moved this here now because I'd originally posted it in the wrong board.

ross

Post by ross » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:01 am

[quote="bolus"]
If I use an image tag like this:

[img]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/wires2.jpg[/img]
it gets automatically changed to

[img width=640 height=480]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/wires2.jpg[/img]
where the the width and height are not changeable.  Anyway to at least make it changeable? 
[/quote]

Okay,  I've removed the resizing of linked images used in posts.  If this causes problems though (ie. people posting links to ridiculously large images) I'll have to reset a limit (perhaps 800 x 600) and will reserve the right to delete any massive images that are linked to in posts.

Bare in mind that it seems as though you can edit the link after you've posted it to adjust the size of the image to whatever you want it to be.

Cheers, Ross.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:21 pm

I agree with Ross. People have in the past linked to some ridiculously large images. Even at 1280x1024 I still have to scroll L/R as well as down. What a p.i.t.a! I'd support any decision on resizing them at the board level if it becomes a larger issue. it's not the height, it's the width that's a bitch so a max of 800 or 900 wide at most is my own sweet spot (I like the window to one side as I monitor other apps running in open windows behind my browser).

ross

Post by ross » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:49 pm

Yeah, I think actually it may be better to have the limit set at 800x600 (rather than the 640x480 that it was before).  It can easily be over-ridden if needed by editing the tags after posting.

If images are smaller than this they shouldn't be resized at all.

Cheers, Ross.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:18 pm

Yeah, If people have not upgraded from their old 13-14" monitors by now to a 17" or larger screen then they have no business being on the Internet. ;D

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:20 pm

test

It limits the size to 800x600 and it will change it back to 800x600 even if you manually change the width and height. 

This picture is still 800x600 even though I manually changed it to this

[img width=1024 height=768]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/rear%203q%20black%20mirror_1600_1200.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=600]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/rear%2 ... 0_1200.jpg[/img]
Last edited by bolus on Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.