Upgraded to latest version of forum...

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
ross

Post by ross » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:00 am

...but it looks like it broke the logo, title font and a smiley image (and probably a couple of other items here and there) which I'll fix later.

Any probs, please post here and I'll check'em out.

Cheers, Ross.

ross

Re: Upgraded to latest version of forum...

Post by ross » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:24 am

Ok, the logo and the missing smiley's fixed.  I'll sort the title font later.

Also, I had some problems with logging in using Firefox following the upgrade.  If anyone has any problems like this, please try clearing Firefox's cache and cookies before closing and re-opening the browser.

Cheers, Ross.

RichardR

Post by RichardR » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:14 am

Yep - need to restart Firefox - banged my head against a wall for 15mins before trying this!

ross

Post by ross » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:21 am

A simple restart for me didn't even work properly mind you.  A bit of a pain, but there you go.  Everything else seems to be working okay.

Cheers, Ross.

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:33 am

I think the upgrade wiped out memory of unread posts and topics prior to when you implemented it.

Clicking on "Show unread posts since last visit" only goes back to the upgrade time, then clicking on "Click here to try all unread topics" after reading all these posts shows absolutely nothing.

I had been working my way backward through topics I hadn't read, to find anything interesting, but this can't be done now so I hope the search has improved.

By the way, is the pad and pencil in your own posts just another way to modify like the button at the top?

Oh, and the Spell Check button doesn't seem to do anything.

***EDIT***  Spell Check now working.  :tu:
Last edited by Alec on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:39 pm

Alec wrote: I think the upgrade wiped out memory of unread posts and topics prior to when you implemented it.

Clicking on "Show unread posts since last visit" only goes back to the upgrade time, then clicking on "Click here to try all unread topics" after reading all these posts shows absolutely nothing.
Working ok for me.
I had been working my way backward through topics I hadn't read, to find anything interesting, but this can't be done now so I hope the search has improved.
Search works much better, Even showing multiple results in the same thread.  :tu:
By the way, is the pad and pencil in your own posts just another way to modify like the button at the top?
The pad and pencil on the right side is a QuickEdit feature, the Modify button brings up the post in a Full Editor.

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:41 pm

The new version is easier to use on a handheld (blackberry in my case). Makes my train journeys more entertaining!

KK

Post by KK » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:45 pm

Unfortunately the search function (more infor here) does not work any better than before.

I'd even be tempted to call its results stranger than before, but that might be an interference with the spell checker. When I searched for Albert Hammond from this screen it came up with a suggestion to search for Ailbert Lammond (picture below). Apart from the fact that I have never heard of that guy I guess that's a weird behaviour which I relate to some spell checking function jumping in.

Ross could you again try to disable the spell checker to see whether this would now fix the search function?
Attachments
Search.JPG
Search.JPG (64.2 KiB) Viewed 465 times
Last edited by KK on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:30 am

[quote="Driver"]
[quote="Alec"]
I think the upgrade wiped out memory of unread posts and topics prior to when you implemented it.

Clicking on "Show unread posts since last visit" only goes back to the upgrade time, then clicking on "Click here to try all unread topics" after reading all these posts shows absolutely nothing.[/quote]

Working ok for me.

[/quote]

"Click here to try all unread topics" still doesn't work so 30 odd pages of unread topics that I was working my way through are now hidden and can not be identified so searching seems to be the only option to find anything contained in them (but see below).  :td:

[quote="Driver"]
[quote="Alec"]
I had been working my way backward through topics I hadn't read, to find anything interesting, but this can't be done now so I hope the search has improved.[/quote]

Search works much better, Even showing multiple results in the same thread.  :tu:

[/quote]

Search is just as Klaus describes and suggests alternatives (that don't exist) but there are no multiple results in the same thread, which you seem to have.

In my opinion, as useless as before.  :td:

[quote="Driver"]
[quote="Alec"]
By the way, is the pad and pencil in your own posts just another way to modify like the button at the top?[/quote]

The pad and pencil on the right side is a QuickEdit feature, the Modify button brings up the post in a Full Editor.

[/quote]

Works as you describe so a small improvement.  :tu:

To date then most of the changes I have noticed have been unhelpful.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

ross

Post by ross » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:16 am

I've tried the search function and it seems to work fine.  Bare in mind that if you use the search box under the 'User info' panel, the search only seems to search the board you're in.  If you use the 'Search' button though, it executes the search across the entire forum.

I think that's what may be causing the confusion here.

Cheers, Ross.

KK

Post by KK » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:41 am

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
I've tried the search function and it seems to work fine.  Bare in mind that if you use the search box under the 'User info' panel, the search only seems to search the board you're in.  If you use the 'Search' button though, it executes the search across the entire forum.

I think that's what may be causing the confusion here.

Cheers, Ross.
[/quote]
You are right insofar as the search function now only seems to search underneath the tree entry you start from. This has definitely changed from the old version.

What still doesn't work from my end is that it finds all occurrences of a specific search string. It will limit the display to the last post containing the search string within each thread. This is consistent with the old behaviour and IMHO still renders the search function pretty useless. Example below - search started from the top of the tree structure.

If you experience a different behaviour and are able to see all the posts containing Albert Hammond then there's something wrong with user privileges.
Attachments
search1.JPG
search1.JPG (42.85 KiB) Viewed 468 times

ross

Post by ross » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:46 am

No, I'm seeing the same thing as you.  I'm afraid that's it'll just have to do for the time being - sorry!

Cheers, Ross.

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:15 am

Why have all the user uploaded pictures gone to the size of postage stamps?

Now you have to click the file name and open the full size image just to see if it is interesting or not. A complete waste of time.

IMHO the smaller size of the images is a step backwards. Sorry.  :(

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:56 pm

I think I've worked out the search function, but it will only work if the initial search finds a small number of threads.

Using Albert Hammond as an example for Klaus.

Using the search button and searching for Albert Hammond in all boards gives four results in the threads called:-

Song Title Game
Is the search function broken on the forum?
Song Lyric Game

Then clicking on each thread in turn and entering Albert Hammond in the search box at the top returns all posts in each thread with the name in:-

8 posts in        Song Title Game
2 posts in        Upgraded to latest version of forum...                  (but after this post it will become 3 posts)
1 post in        Is the search function broken on the forum?
1 post in        Song Lyric Game

It's a bit long winded but the first search should give an idea as to which thread contains what your looking for.

I don't know if this is new with the upgrade, or if it is how it used to be, but I am now a bit happier knowing how to do this.

KK

Post by KK » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:36 pm

[quote="Alec"]
I don't know if this is new with the upgrade, or if it is how it used to be, but I am now a bit happier knowing how to do this.
[/quote]
This is definitely new with the upgrade. Prior to the upgrade the system would always search the full forum (regardless from where you started the serach from) and not limit searches to the selected thread only.

Well done Alec. :tu: