How about a wiki?

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
bolus

How about a wiki?

Post by bolus » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:31 pm

would it be possible to add a wiki site to the atomclub website?  I was thinking this would be a great way to allow users to generate a robust FAQ / info site on the atom.  We have a ton a great information buried in the forum and it would be wonderful to have this organized in some fashion. 

It could contain everything from recommended replacement parts to general racing theory. 

Here is an Elise wiki as an example:

http://elise-faq.info/index.php?title=Main_Page

Here is the free wiki software that they are using.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
Last edited by bolus on Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtomFun

Re: How about a wiki?

Post by AtomFun » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:33 pm

Excellent idea but who's gonna do the organising?

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:35 pm

[quote="AtomFun"]
[/quote]

I'd volunteer to help manage it but the cool thing about a wiki is that it is mostly user generated.  Create an account and start adding content.  then any user can modify it or add to it. 

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:02 pm

[quote="bolus"]
[quote="AtomFun"]
[/quote]

I'd volunteer to help manage it but the cool thing about a wiki is that it is mostly user generated.  Create an account and start adding content.  then any user can modify it or add to it. 
[/quote]

Make sure that you have a sufficient amount of content well organized before attempting to do this because they've been known to simply cancel pages without prior notification.  I'm not sure how commonplace this is, but it hurts when it happens (especially to those who have put some effort into it).  I've never had any direct experience with this, but this was the warning that I received some time ago when I had a similar idea.  Perhaps there would be a way of contacting the appropriate people (i.e., those who have a say in the management of their site) to get some early guidance.  I'm sure that would be an obvious step in any event but I just thought I'd throw this out there so you don't one day wake up and say, "Where the #$%& did our page go!?!?"
Last edited by Wmcmanus on Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:06 pm

We would run out own wiki site, not use wikipedia.  The software I linked can run on it's own server.  So we would have full control

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:21 pm

[quote="bolus"]
We would run out own wiki site, not use wikipedia.  The software I linked can run on it's own server.  So we would have full control
[/quote]

Oh, cool.  Sorry about that.  I hadn't clicked on your links.  Duh!  I'll do that now...

Just had a look and think that would be a perfect way of organizing things for the Atom.
Last edited by Wmcmanus on Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:12 am

We could also just do a sticky thread with the info. Appoint a person to keep it up to date and lock the thread so it doesn't get cluttered. No need to deal with yet another software program. The AtomClub forum, web and gallery already use 3 separate ones. Ross deserves a break.. ;)

zakeen

I think this place needs a Wiki

Post by zakeen » Mon May 07, 2007 9:25 am

Most forum sites thats about a product wtih different types have a Wiki section that does a summary of the different types of Atom for the new people. As for me I know about the 220, 245 and 300 only because they are the lastest, but I dont know anything before this time. If there was as section with a short description on each of there differences it would make it easy for us new guys.

Alec

Re: I think this place needs a Wiki

Post by Alec » Mon May 07, 2007 10:21 am

This has been discussed a bit already on the thread How about a wiki?.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Driver

Re: I think this place needs a Wiki

Post by Driver » Mon May 07, 2007 10:22 am

Merging now....

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon May 07, 2007 11:20 am

If so many people want one, why has no one started one?

I should point out that I think wiki's are a waste of ether
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue May 08, 2007 2:03 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[/quote]

To quote Michael Scott on Wikipedia...

"Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information."

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue May 08, 2007 2:28 pm

Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject.
Sounds like a "Forum" post....

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 08, 2007 2:51 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
If so many people want one, why has no one started one?

[/quote]

Well, that's a pretty negative comment.  I have been trying to collect information in an ordered fashion from the forum in text documents but I dont have the ability to set up a webserver with wiki software.  But if one was put up I think I would have a lot to contribute.  It is a lot easier to find information in a wiki or a faq than in this forum. 

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue May 08, 2007 3:01 pm

A wiki is not that different from a FAQ or any other web page. Our FAQ may lack some of the interoperability with the end user (not just anyone can edit it) but does that really matter. Just like the SO thread it desn't mean someone couldn't start a thread and coallate the information in a attractive ordered way.