The use of similies

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
Driver

The use of similies

Post by Driver » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:37 pm

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P Ohh smilies... :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( :laugh: :td: :tu:

???

:police:  Just because they are there doesn't mean they should be overused. One usually shows their age and newbie status to the internet in general by using a ton of these in their posts when just one or two would suffice to show intent. Less is more. Some forums, due to their overuse even do away with them altogether.
Last edited by Driver on Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Lloyd

Re: The use of smilies

Post by John Lloyd » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:18 pm

I love them  :-*  ;) :D ;D :tu:  :laugh:

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:00 pm

But you wouldn't use a handful of them in every post you make would you? How would we know to take you seriously or not? Oh wait, we don't take you seriously anyway.. ;)

It's bad enough some people don't proof read what they post and it reads like a 8 year old wrote it. Some forums are rife with this stuff. I'm glad that we don't see the shorthand that people use in IM's here, overall lowering the IQ of this forum as a whole. I see enough of it on other forums, would hate to see it start here (cue the smartasses). :) I think it all just causes poor overall communication. Of course that's just MY opinion.
Last edited by Driver on Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alec

Post by Alec » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:07 pm

You tell them Driver. Image
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:12 pm

Damn straight... :)

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:20 am

Smilies have their place.  They do help when the written word does not "sound or look" like a joke.  They give extra meanming and emphisis to what is being said.

I agree with spelling and grammer.  I am hopeless, but typing has made me better and now only drinking too much red wine makes me make mistakes.  ;)

If you want more smilies try this link

http://www.fancysplace.com/smileys/   :D ;D

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:52 am

Why do you care?   Whos it hurting.  Damn control freaks!!!!!   You a government policy maker??? LOL
Last edited by Jammer on Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:15 am

Anyone like MY smiley:

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:44 am

Maybe because in the last few days I've been on several boards and too many yellow blobs makes it hard to judge intent just as well as too few . Even John Lloyd's post right above here at 4 different ones had fewer than I've seen in recent single posts.. ??? At least he bothered reading his and putting it into intelligible sentences. Maybe I need to lay off the PS2 and Home Theater forums for awhile, that's where I see most of it. Sleep would help as well...

PS, love the Atom smiley. Somebody with a yellow Atom needs to get their helmet done up that way.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:09 am

I'll admit I do have an issue with intelligible sentences fairly often it seems.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:10 am

[quote="Driver"]
But you wouldn't use a handful of them in every post you make would you? How would we know to take you seriously or not? Oh wait, we don't take you seriously anyway.. ;)

It's bad enough some people don't proof read what they post and it reads like a 8 year old wrote it. Some forums are rife with this stuff. I'm glad that we don't see the shorthand that people use in IM's here, overall lowering the IQ of this forum as a whole. I see enough of it on other forums, would hate to see it start here (cue the smartasses). :) I think it all just causes poor overall communication. Of course that's just MY opinion.
[/quote]

I know *EXACTLY* what you mean.

In this post:
http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/top ... l#msg53936

The poster doesn't seem to know how to use the word their.
Their = belonging to people.  eg. "There go the drivers and their atoms"
There = In reference to an object.
They're = abbreviation for "they are".

Now DRIVER, go here and practice.
http://www.better-english.com/easier/theyre.htm

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:26 am

Hey!  I typed that while posting from my projector setup! Text isn't the best until you go 1080P. In between movies. watched League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on BluRay HD tonight.

OK, I'l go ficx tit... <hangs hed> :)

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:24 am

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:45 pm

I seldom use them, which when coupled with my dry sense of humour means I probably come across as a rude b'stad most of the time.  Still not like I am ever going to meet anyone off the internet anyway so I don't care.

Ben

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:24 pm

In that case Ben here's one for you Image
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)