Forum Sections

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
benyeats

Forum Sections

Post by benyeats » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:45 pm

Hello,

On another thread it has been mentioned that some forum posts are confusing because separate sections do not exist for US and UK (i.e. Honda/Rover or GM) powered Atoms.  I think everyone agrees on this.  Thus we need to think of some new sections for the forum.  I will start the ball rolling with....

Technical to contain 3 sub forums, Ariel, Brammo and General with the first two containing build/poweplant specific info and the last for more general technical questions.

Events, don't think we have a need to split this yet but will keep an eye

non-atom/off topic can obviously stay.

Anyone else think of any that I have missed ?

Ben

dogs_bolox

Re: Forum Sections

Post by dogs_bolox » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:29 pm

I think thats afreat Idea. I dont know how many people read the American section who are from the UK. I dont

g8kam

Post by g8kam » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:54 pm

....filling in country of origin should be a required field.

I've often seen other forum, where the country is listed below the member's avatar.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:59 pm

[quote="g8kam"]

I've often seen other forum, where the country is listed below the member's avatar.
[/quote]
agreed

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:58 pm

[quote="g8kam"]

[/quote]

This sounds similar to what I was suggesting on a different thread (being fairly new to forums I assume avatar is what I should have said)

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/top ... l#msg44794
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:34 pm

Just duplicate everything in to the American section.  It would help if we had an American Mod'.  I would love to see only one Atom forum.  If more forums are created ie an American one I will not go and visit it.  I love dipping into the American boards.  Just expand them. To acheive this we need to let the Americans (as the next biggest owner group) run and create their own boards.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:10 am

There should definately be a US technical section.
Things like TerryK's how to change the oil belong in here, and not in the UK forum.

Keep the Technical section where it is right now, and add two sub-forums; UK specific Tech & US specific Tech.
If it applies to both, it goes in the parent Forum.

Events should definately have a US sub-forum.
We are growing in numbers, and will be getting together more and more.

Why is the Forum & Photo section's under General - that doesn't make sense either.

Just my 2c.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:17 am

I suggested similar things in the other discussion going on just a few minutes ago. Slowly playing catch-up so pardon me for duplicating what was here, i was unaware...

A s far as the Avatar, fill in your PERSONAL TEXT field in your Profile to get your Country or location to show up below your Avatar Artea, even if you don't have an one.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:35 am

Just to reinterate here what Driver is suggesting:

Technical: General Generic Tech discussion about all Atoms
Technical: UK (specific to Ariel built Atoms)
Technical: US (specific to the Brammo built Atom)

(which concurrs with Ben)

Events (North America)
Events (UK/Europe)

(as nic suggests)

It makes total sense to me.

Can we do this today?
Last edited by Bruce Fielding on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

g8kam

Post by g8kam » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:47 am

[quote="Driver"]

A s far as the Avatar, fill in your PERSONAL TEXT field in your Profile to get your Country or location to show up below your Avatar Artea, even if you don't have an one.
[/quote]What's happening to this????

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:52 am

I've just emailed those in charge of the technical side of the forum in the hope that we can sort this as soon as possible.

Please bear with us - as Richard would like to hear someone say today ;D Only kidding Rich! (in-joke, sorry chaps)
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

ross

Post by ross » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:54 am

Yep, I'll get these changes made asap.

Cheers, Ross.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:02 am

RE; Avatar & Personal Text Area

Here's how to get your location showing in EVERY post you make:

Click the Profile button at the Top of the page:  Image

On the Left side of the page under the "Modify Profile" section click the link titled "Forum Profile Information"

A page will come up and all you have to do is fill in the first field called "Personal Text:"

Below is a clipping that shows the field and what i have entered, if you look over by my avatar you can see how it is displayed. Let me know how it works for you.
Attachments
Personal-Text.gif
Personal-Text.gif (5.61 KiB) Viewed 1874 times

ross

Post by ross » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:10 am

Yes, please can everyone follow Driver's advice here - and then remind others who haven't already done so - pretty soon, everyone will have their location in their profile.

Cheers, Ross.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:16 am

One more Suggested Section (at the absolute bottom below Wanted/ForSale):

Forum Tips and Tricks
Test Your signatures and settings here....

I'd even write a few tech articles and tips for how to do this and it could be made a Sticky (easy to just point people to it).