New Feature - Digests

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
phil4

New Feature - Digests

Post by phil4 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:27 pm

We have launched a new feature on the forum!

The forum will send out a weekly summary email of any activity that you may have missed since your last login, allowing people to keep up to date ‘on the move’.

We have fine tuned the default settings to hopefully be as streamlined as possible, but you can change the preferences – or unsubscribe completely – through the Control Panel on the forum.

You will find a link to the Control Panel at the bottom of each weekly email.

Karl V

Re: New Feature - Digests

Post by Karl V » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:59 pm

Just a quick observation on this [mention]phil4[/mention]...

I received an email at the weekend with threads that I had already read, saying 'I may have missed them'.

Dumb question, but was this maybe because I wasn't logged in to the forum at the time?

Ta.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:09 pm

You currently have it set as Show new posts only, which is described as:
This will filter out any posts posted prior to the date and time you last visited this board. If you visit the board frequently and read most of the posts, this will keep redundant posts from appearing in your digest. It may also mean that you will miss some posts in forums that you did not read.
First thing to note is this is posts, not topics. So while you may have read the topic previously if there has been a subsequent post, it'll still be listed in the digest.

It's possible as you say that your logging in was too close to the mail time, and hence it didn't count your having read them.

Or it could be a bug in the digest software.

I'm not sure which. I didn't get the Digest when I hadn't any unread posts, which is right for the settings, so something works.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:16 pm

OK, thanks.

I think that I wasn't logged in on my phone, but was on the PC, which may explain why I was 'reminded' about posts that I saw on the phone.

And my wife says I can't multi-task...

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:42 pm

Yes, that'd be it. It's critical that you're logged in if you view the site, otherwise the site has no idea who you are, and will send you everything as it didn't know you read it.

Login... it really helps.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:51 pm

How do I unsubscribe from this ?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:57 pm

GraemeW wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:51 pm How do I unsubscribe from this ?
Hi Graeme,

Top right is your forum name, click it.
Select User Control Panel
From the tabs (Overview, Profile, Board Prefs etc) Click the list one, Digests
From the page that appears, under the heading "Type of digest wanted:", click None, and click submit.

You should no long receive digests.

If you have any problems with the above, by all means post here, or let me know and I'll disable it for you.

Hope that helps.

Phil

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:01 pm

Thanks. I log in most days so I don’t need it

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:03 pm

GraemeW wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:01 pm Thanks. I log in most days so I don’t need it
No probs... I leave mine on, as it won't send it if I've nothing to catch up on, but I agree if you don't even need to know of the stragglers, why bother.

Genuinely though, feel free to turn it off, it's there to help people, and if it doesn't help, best turned off.

Cheers

Phil