Simple Machines Forum

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
AtomFun

Simple Machines Forum

Post by AtomFun » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:26 am

I recall Driver raised the point of changing the 'simple machines forum' logo (top right of the board) to something more appropriate.

I think it would be nice to see something more Ariel Atom, perhaps the club logo or a competition to design something to go there.

ross

Re: Simple Machines Forum

Post by ross » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:14 pm

Yep this is my job I'm afraid - must try harder - sorry!

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:35 pm

Hi Ross

Wasn't meant to be a dig at you :) Just thought it would be a good project to design something to replace the 'simple machines forum' with something Atom related.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:39 pm

How about the picture of your Atom flying?  ;D

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:57 pm

I sent a couple of logos I quickly photoshopped up, heard the copyright reply, and left it at that.

Even did one that used the AAOC girder look....
[align=center]Image[/align]

I'd like to see the logo change. All the other forums usually have their own logo. A competition would get peoples creative spirit going.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:56 pm

I'd like to see the forum look like the main site!

In fact, I'd like to see the gallery look that way too...

I'm sure Ross would appreciate any help in that dept.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

ross

Post by ross » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:36 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I'd like to see the forum look like the main site!

In fact, I'd like to see the gallery look that way too...

I'm sure Ross would appreciate any help in that dept.
[/quote]

Not going to happen I'm afraid - the forum (and the gallery) need all the screen estate they can get, but the club website's design really isn't conducive to that.  Plus, I ain't doing it - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  The logo, I'm sure I should be able to fix quite easily though.

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:19 pm

It takes a lot to get the "Skin" of SMF to change and to be able to keep it changed as updates to the Forum software come out. There are pre-built Skin packages out there for various PHP based forums, just they all have their drawbacks. You'd have more luck changing the Main Atom website to look like this. You still have to deal with the Gallery (Coppermine software) though. We are talking three distinctly DIFFERENT layouts. Who's going to pay for the graphics person and the PHP capable person to redesign the interfaces? Then where are you going to find the ones that know Coppermine and SMF and those idiosyncracies.?

See, it's a bigger bite to take than you'd think at first look, especially if you don't know what it takes.

(FYI: replacing the logo is simple, same size/name image and just pop it in via FTP to the right directory. Very straightforward)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:25 pm

While we're at it - let's change the typeface at the top left to something more like the Atom Club face, too...

And add some tags so that we get a bit higher up on searches...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London