Forum Display Name

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.

Should users be able to continously change their forum display name?

You may select 1 option

View results

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Forum Display Name

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:12 pm

What really gets me is the "considerable amount of negative comments" line. How thin skinned can you be if someone changing their screen name bothers you???

Enough to whine,and then call for a banishment of the practice,it seems.      Let's see,I'll have to think of an appropriate title to keep till the end of time....

You don't have to call me dear,Bruce... :-*

silver

Post by silver » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:32 pm

I can't believe this is a topic on the forum............the forum is not helpful lately not fun not interesting.....someone please post something interesting...I want the atom forum circa 2006.....it was really fun then.

FWIW I don't change my name cuz I don't care....much like I don't care if others DO change their name...this is so low on the priority list of things that make me mad....and it's  a long list so that says something.

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:25 am

[quote="Bod :)"]
......... Cobra Driver Bolus Spaz Wisp etc have their own identities regardless of their real name  ;)

For my part "Bod" is all that some of my best friends know me as! To me it is as much a 'real' name as my actual one.... :)

"Bod"
[/quote]

Yes it's a PITA really because I'd like to change my name here to match some of of my other internet IDs. Maybe I will and put "previously wisp" below my avatar for 6-12 months.
As for using real names, I think the fact that there are people in this world that don't even want it to be known that they own Atoms, that could be a bit hard on those that are happy to share their ownership if their true identity is not easily available to all in sundry. A good number of members may be reluctant to participate as much if the use of real names is enforced.

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:57 am

Did something just happen that I think happened?  I certainly hope that's not the case.  Especially when it comes down to opinions on some small knitpicky element that end up having further-reaching effects.  Hey, this seems oddly familiar.

A name change every few months seems like it would cause less confusion than for that member's contributions to begin disappearing from previously useful and meaningful threads.

Back to the topic at hand... A better solution may be to allow only one name change per x-month timeframe, and append "formerly known as..." to that person's left-pane author info or to their signature for x months following.  While I like to know someone's actual first name, I'm not a fan of trying to standardize names on first name + last initial or something similar.  Not enough of a differentiator if you ask me when we'll be faced with author names of "John H", "John K", "John L", "John M", etc.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:19 am

should be about choice

if you want to change your name every day ....then crack on.......especially if its funny

probably not my bag but would certainly not wish to impose my preference on someone else

im sure there are a few merits in standardising names, but it does seem to stir up very negative vibes by trying to impose what appear to be petty and irrelevant new rules

justin
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:41 am

In the poll options, is there a "for duck's sake - why the hell are we going on and on and on about this shite??!!" check box?

My contributions have steadily decreased on this forum for several reasons -
1) information is getting more sparse
2) arguments about utter shite more prevalent
3) pointless crap like this

>:(

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:57 am

[quote="apollyon25"]
In the poll options, is there a "for devil's sake - why the hell are we going on and on and on about this shite??!!" check box?

My contributions have steadily decreased on this forum for several reasons -
1) information is getting more sparse
2) arguments about utter shite more prevalent
3) pointless crap like this

>:(
[/quote]

Good point.

Information on a forum can't get more sparse - they don't work that way. My own view is that all the information is there already and there's not much need to add to it. So people find other things to talk about...

Arguments about amusing shite are fine, I think!

Can't argue with your third point.

To create a fuss this big over effectively just one Big Dick seems like overkill to me.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:04 am

[quote="Big Dicks pain in the ass"]
What really gets me is the "considerable amount of negative comments" line. How thin skinned can you be if someone changing their screen name bothers you???
[/quote]

Exactly and the line about real names being a club preference, news to me and I have been a member of the club for a few years now.

Can everyone with issues about lack of fun on the forum start some more fun threads instead of worrying about this one ?

Ben

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:03 am

Gees guys, I am really sorry. When the suggestion was originally put to me, it was genuinely intended to help make the forum more friendly and easier to use, and it seems from the vote (so far) that most people agree. That said it has obviously inflamed some members / users again, so for that I apologise.

With regards to the real name - club preference, maybe my wording was too strong. I simply meant to state that it seems most club members find it easier and more friendly when real names are used. If nothing else, this can be seen by the fact that most club members use real names (part or  otherwise) and certainly it has been said again and again at club gatherings, that people don't know which person in real life relates to which name on the forum. Maybe this is just a difference between people that use the forum to organise and attend real world events and those that don't have that opportunity. Anyways, I have changed the wording in my original post to hopefully reflect the intended point.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

jon b

Post by jon b » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:43 am

I see no reason at all why someone would want to change their display name  :-\  Unless they decided that their real name on a public forum is possibly a little too public.  Each to their own...

positron

Post by positron » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:08 am

[quote="Lane"]
Back to the topic at hand... A better solution may be to allow only one name change per x-month timeframe, and append "formerly known as..." to that person's left-pane author info or to their signature for x months following.  While I like to know someone's actual first name, I'm not a fan of trying to standardize names on first name + last initial or something similar.  Not enough of a differentiator if you ask me when we'll be faced with author names of "John H", "John K", "John L", "John M", etc.
[/quote]

^ + 1
allow changes at some time interval. Names may change but general tone/attitude do not.

Early on (for those of us with little imagination..) names tended to be "Atomic" like. The time of joy, wonder, and communal anticipation of one's build no longer exists. I think the last one I remember was apollyon25's build. It was something we all shared and had in common.. we seem to have less and less..