Buttonwillow August 9 & 10

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
dp35

Buttonwillow August 9 & 10

Post by dp35 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:30 am

After WCA, everyone was jazzed to get together and do more track days together.  Here's one we could do, and much closer to home for all you SoCal Atom owners.  I've never been to Buttonwillow, but I'd like to go.  I just got a couple weeks of slack in my otherwise busy work schedule for the summer, so I'm looking for a track day or two.  If some of you would join me, I'll go to this. 

Or, will it be 150 degrees in the shade down there, and I should stick with NorCal tracks for the summer months?

http://www.speedventures.com/events/eve ... spx?id=177

positron

Re: Buttonwillow August 9 & 10

Post by positron » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:59 pm

d
It could go either way this time of year. If it's mid 90's it will be tolerable, if >100 it will be miserable. I've been watching the weather but could have my arm twisted if under 102F. It'll be a good test of my new frontal I/C, otherwise it'll be Fontana in Sept.

Several noteworthy items:
We could get a discount for 5 or more, nicolas is already in, me and dp and most probably my son would count. So Spaz and Calscot could push us over...
It's the same config that CalScot ran so you'll have a time to beat.
The gumball3000 is coming to town. Below is what I received:

GUMBALL 3000 COMING TO SPEED VENTURES
Speed Ventures participants and spectators shall suffer (in a good way) the slings and arrows of other people's outrageous good fortune on August 9th at Buttonwillow Raceway Park as we play host to the first high-speed rallye (that's the British way of spelling it) checkpointe (that's the French way) of the celebrity and billionaire-studded extravaganza known as Gumball 3000.  In a nutshell, Gumball 3000 provides an unprecedented opportunity for high net-worth individuals to galivant across the globe in pimped out supercars at whatever speed the local authorities will allow by day, and to party like rockstars (well, some of them ARE rockstars actually) at night.  Because local authorities can be somewhat reluctant to let people drive 200mph, Gumball 3000 organizers have decided to schedule a couple pit stops at two of the world's premier racetracks (the Chinese Formula 1 circuit (a fantastic F1 track) and Buttonwillow Raceway Park (an equally fantastic and increasingly famous club racing track).  After visiting Speed Ventures at Buttonwillow Raceway and eating 350 hotdogs, the caravan of 100+ participants and 250 TV/media and crew will make it's way to Los Angeles where they will go to the kind of parties Aaron Bitterman doesn't get invited to.  From there they will go straight to Las Vegas just to make sure they've covered all their bases and aren't unwisely assuming Hollywood has the most to offer in the way of extravagance and debauchery.  Next they'll make the obvious move of loading all 100 supercars on to air transport straight for Pyongyang, North Korea (yes, North) because they couldn't think of a better way to show all of us just how truly rich and crazy they really are.

My hope is that all of you will tell all your friends and come out to Buttonwillow on August 9th to witness Gumball 3000 in all it's glory, watch the fantastic collection of vehicles on track, and see celebrities and other high net-worth individuals eat hot dogs.  Of course you're welcome to sign up to drive with us as well.  Gumball 3000 activities will not affect the track time of our regularly scheduled event.  Admission to the Park, as always, will be $10 for spectators.  We expect Gumball drivers to begin arriving around 5pm, at which point the entrance gate will be jammed up with cars, so PLEASE ARRIVE BY 4:30pm if you are planning to come out and watch!  For more information on Gumball 3000, visit www.gumball3000.com.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:00 pm

I am interested.

I do have some issues that need to be cleared first. My wife is off to a church camp with my two girls but leaving me with pets and an 11 yr old. Our older dog is on his last legs and needs daily care so I am checking to see if I can get somebody to wipe his arse for me. (wish it was a joke)

Would you do both days or which one? That Gumball thing would be fun. The am sessions should be tolerable. My trailer has AC and should be a sheltered and decent spot for us!

dp35

Post by dp35 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:53 pm

I'd be in for both days.  The drive's too long for just one.  Plus, I've never driven that track, so I'd like to get enough time to learn it. 

This part is also very interesting. 
[quote="Positron"]
It's the same config that CalScot ran so you'll have a time to beat.[/quote]

It sounds like we should be able to get 5.  But I assume we would need to commit soon while there's still room for all of us. 

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:17 am

Awwww...I WANT to go, but I can't.  Scheduling conflicts with work.  :'(

positron

Post by positron » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:44 am

Two days here, with a Friday evening arrival.. diesel still too high for a single day.
Last edited by positron on Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:38 pm

I *HAD* registered, but now have to work that weekend.

Now, I'm looking at September.  :(

dp35

Post by dp35 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:44 pm

[quote="Positron"]
Two days here, with a Friday evening arrival.. diesel still too high for a single day.
[/quote]

I agree.  Plus, two day events are so much more relaxed.  Also, if I'm there two days, I don't mind skipping the last session if it gets too hot.

I'm sitting here with my finger on the button, ready to sign up, waiting for the rest of you.  Or I might just sign up anyways.

positron

Post by positron » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:11 am

Tonight's forecast is not looking promising..

If this is your only SoCal trip you may want to consider coming to Fontana in Sept and/or Spring Mt in Oct.. We're going to both for sure but not sure I can hold out that long though..

http://www.speedventures.com/events/eve ... spx?id=200

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:26 am

I just read about the Gumball thing for the 1st time.  It sounds really interesting & worth checking out. 

Here's a video clip from the start of last year's gumball:

I'm leaning towards going to this, both days.   

shinoo

Post by shinoo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:27 am

Dp,

I'd love to go but I'm hosting a party for my wife's 40th....on the 9th.

positron

Post by positron » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:05 am

Anybody wanna go to Willow Springs on the cheap Aug 9th?

http://www.protrackracing.com/

dp you interested in a WS on Sat and BW on Sunday while your down here? Only a 100 miles apart.. It's been a while since I've run WS and not in this car.. Shouldn't be any hotter but WS usually has a good wind.. accommodations at WS are krap so travel to BW Sat after? This may be too cheap to pass up..

I'm looking for camping sites on top of the grade (cooler).

dp35

Post by dp35 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:57 am

I just checked the SpeedVentures website, and Buttonwillow is already sold out for both days.  This is just for the advanced group, not sure about the others.  I just emailed asking if they can fit me in.  Pretty unlikely.  Looks like I might not be going anywhere.  Sucks.

positron

Post by positron » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:04 pm

Looks just like only red group, black group is plenty fast..

dp35

Post by dp35 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:28 pm

Guess what - I just got in for both days at BW, in the red group.  Stoked!  So I'm signing up now, without knowing what next weekend's weather will be like. 

Dennis, will I see you there Saturday, Saturday night, Sunday morning, or ....

If anyone else is interested, they still have space in the intermediate groups.