Anyone interested in the Braille Rallye (SoCal)?

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
Mr.Woolery

Anyone interested in the Braille Rallye (SoCal)?

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:21 pm

I've been a driver in the Braille Rallye for a few years now.  Last year I used the Atom in the rally and it was a huge hit!  Maybe this year we can get more Atoms to participate?  You don't have to bring your Atom if you're uncomfortable with the idea, heck just bring ANY interesting car--the kids would love it.  :angel: :tu:

The Braille Rallye is a time/speed/distance accuracy rally in which the driver is paired up with either a blind or nearly blind navigator...and the blind navigator has the course instructions!  The instructions are written in either braille or large print writing, and it is their job to read these instructions to you the driver.  It's great fun and is a wonderful way to show these kids a good time in an automotive context (which under most circumstances they'd never get a chance to have).  Some pretty wacky stuff happens, too.  :D

The event happens in Los Angeles on Saturday, 12 July 2008.  The deadline to register is Saturday, 5 July 2008.

This is a wonderful event, giving us a chance to give back to the community by helping kids who really need and appreciate our participation.  If any of you are interested in participating, please let me know and I'll send a registration packet to you.  All proceeds (the entry fee is only like $20 or so) from this event go to the Braille Institute and to help these kids.  C'mon out, have some fun, and be a hero to some kids!  :angel:

NathanE

Re: Anyone interested in the Braille Rallye (SoCal)?

Post by NathanE » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:23 am

That sounds like a great idea, I wonder if anyone does anything similar in the UK . . . .

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:05 pm

It sounds like a ton of fun and very worthy. I wish I could make it! Maybe,... but not likely :'(

Jul

Post by Jul » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:50 am

I wish they did this in Seattle.  I'd be there.

AndyLUFC

Post by AndyLUFC » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:20 pm

Want to send mew the info Spaz, I think I can make it.

Andy

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:27 pm

[quote="AndyLUFC"]
Want to send me the info Spaz, I think I can make it.

Andy
[/quote]

Cool!

Here's a link to the info/registration sheet:

http://www.arosc.org/info/2008/BrailleRallye2008.pdf

See you there!

AndyLUFC

Post by AndyLUFC » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:17 am

I'm in. See you next Sat. Looking forward to it very much and cheers for the heads up on it,

Andy

Jul

Post by Jul » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:58 am

How old are the kids that participate in this event?  Approx how many cars were involved last year? 

Mr.Woolery

Had a great time at the Braille Rallye (SoCal)!!

Post by Mr.Woolery » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:35 am

Just got home from this event...had a GREAT time!  About 40 cars participated, including two Atoms.  :tu:
I was paired with a navigator name Ejiray (he preferred to be called "Edge")...and we took Best In Class!  I also won a Nokia N77 phone in the raffle.  ;D

Andrew had a great time, too!

The best part for me was playing around with the CHP participants...during a portion of the rally where we were retracing the Long Beach Grand Prix route, I had a little back and forth with the CHP car, I revved the engine and he turned on his lights and siren and we did a mock car chase (without speeding) down the main drag in downtown Long Beach.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You guys should come out next year, it's a real blast and it's a high point of these kids' year.  :)

Last edited by Mr.Woolery on Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyLUFC

Post by AndyLUFC » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:20 pm

Big thanks to the Masked (well bearded anyway) Man for the heads up on this event. I had a blast and highly recommend it for anyone for next year.

Ivy, my navigator was splendid. What a great way to spend a day! We took time out to help a Signal Hill PD who was part of the event. Poor sod was trying to U-turn and beached the car on the meridian. After attempts by a semi to shove him off, he ended up getting rescued by an LAPD tow-truck - not one he'll live down for a while!  ;D

Of course no one was mean enough to take photos of that!  ::)

Edit to say: Note to self! Remember you have Scottish genetics and MAKE SURE you apply sunscreen in a mirror so as not to miss big chunks of your now John Candy base tanned head!

Last edited by AndyLUFC on Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.