Anybody want to try running on slicks at AtomFest?

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to

Are you interested in running a session on slicks?

You may select 1 option

View results

1965Cobra427

Anybody want to try running on slicks at AtomFest?

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:06 pm

I am considering obtaining a couple of sets of extra wheels and some Hoosier R6 and / or Hankook Z214 DOT slicks for folks to try at AtomFest. If I can't get a tire company to sponsor the tires, I'll purchase a couple sets, if there is sufficient interest. I might also be able to get a set of non-DOT racing Avon's like the ones I set my new personal best time at Hallett, but they are expensive. If there is enough interest, maybe ...

[img width=800 height=600]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... 0004-1.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... 010037.jpg[/img]

If there's enough interest, I'll add it to the AtomFest.net merchandise section so people can register in advance and I can be sure to have enough for everybody.

Mr.Woolery

Re: Anybody want to try running on slicks at AtomFest?

Post by Mr.Woolery » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:24 pm

That sounds like a tasty offer!  What size are those you're running?

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:52 am

[quote="The Masked Spaz"]
That sounds like a tasty offer!  What size are those you're running?
[/quote]

It depends a little on the brand, but right now I have two sets ordered for the UTC. One set is 205/45/15 FR and 225/45/16 RR. These will run on 7" wide wheels. For my 8" wheels I have 225/45/15 front and 255/45/16 rear. I know these are huge and have no idea right now if they will work or not, but I'm kind of inquisitive and just wanted to try something BIG.

All are mounted on lightweight wheels. SSR's for the 7" and Dymag 8"

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:05 am

OH YES! I would LOVE to try some legit racing slicks. I like my DOT R's... but full on slicks would be oh so nice!!!! I'll be bringing both sets of my wheels.... so thats not a problem. Plus, with a track day this Friday, along with a race weekend plus 2 hour Enduro race (all in 2 weeks time) I'll be hurting for some good rubber come October! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:30 am

I thought we needed stronger uprights for slicks?

Evilatom Transit

Post by Evilatom Transit » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:54 am

Whats the issue with the Uprights Bolus?

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:57 am

[quote="Evilatom Transit"]
Whats the issue with the Uprights Bolus?

[/quote]

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,2519.0.html

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:12 am

If a F1/LMP car's uprights work with the huge rubber they run, why can't the Atom cope with it? I keep hearing they are too weak, but who says... Ariel?  Why not engineer it to hold up better if it really is a issue? My current road car runs 255/50-17's - Stock, a Viper runs even bigger rubber, maybe take a page from there?

Evilatom Transit

Post by Evilatom Transit » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:33 am

Looks like the upright has been upgraded already.

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,3641.0.html

I know that there were different uprights based on your braking package - but its my understanding (can't find the thread) that they changed the rear upright to be universal and stronger.

Anyone confirm or remember the other thread - I believe it was the one that talked about all the improvements to the car since the initial batch of cars.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:38 am

well, it is not upgraded on my car

silver

Post by silver » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:45 am

I didn't see a response that fit, so I put....aren't they slippery haha ;D

Evilatom Transit

Post by Evilatom Transit » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:14 am

Bolus,

You have had your car for a lot longer then most people right? I'm still trying to find that thread with the ongoing improvements to the car. Its possible your car was built before the improvement. Anyone have an upclose picture of a new car that got delivered in the last month or so?

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:14 pm

The rear upright upgrade was in the materials used, not the design. Since at least January, 2007 they have been made from chrome moly, whereas they previously were mild steel. I say since January because that's when I got my new parts which coincided with my brake upgrade which is documented here http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,3637.0.html.

I assume the new chrome moly units could be ordered from Brammo for anyone desiring to do so. It just worked out for me that when I upgraded brakes, I needed new rear uprights for mounting the Wilwood rears and the new ones were available by then.

Another option I could supply for AtomFest would be AO48's for folks who have not run them before. Would this be a better choice?

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:29 pm

So if I got my car in April, I assume it would be the stronger material? Or is it for orders after Jan 97?

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:36 pm

[quote="rfmarz"]
So if I got my car in April, I assume it would be the stronger material? Or is it for orders after Jan 07?
[/quote]

Builds after Jan 07. Once they went to the new material, all cars got it is my understanding.
Last edited by 1965Cobra427 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.