May 13th Track Day in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Honda/Ecotec Atoms attending!

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
McFred

May 13th Track Day in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Honda/Ecotec Atoms attending!

Post by McFred » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:26 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen Atom Fest is too far in the future so there's a roadcourse track event at Sandia Motorsports Park just West of Albuquerque, New Mexico on Sunday, May 13th and this is a formal invitation to attend and 3 week notice.

The track is 1.65 miles (2.66 km) long, with 14 turns and is pretty technical and tight.  1000hp will not do you too well here and handling and lines are what count.  Perfect for Atoms.  Trap speeds down the front straight are about 110 mph on slickshod Z06s.  Any laptime less than 1:30 are pretty quick. :tu:  Standard running format is widdershins/anticlockwise/counterclockwise. ;D

The event is all day with Driver's meeting at about 9:00 AM and will cost about $80 or less with total participation below 30 cars.  15-20 minute run groups until traffic dies down when it opens up to whoever wants to run for as long as you can run.

No preregistration required, no stringent tech inspection, just ~$80 and a DOT/Snell rated helmet gets you on the track.

Bottoz and I will be there and anyone in Dallas, Scottsdale/Phoenix, El Paso and associated states are more than welcome to attend.  Well anyone's invited really. :)  Let's accumulate our first southwestern trackbound molecule!  :td: :o :) :tu:

Last edited by McFred on Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bottoz

Re: May 13th Track Day in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Honda/Ecotec Atoms attending!

Post by Bottoz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:39 pm

As discussed with McFred... I'll be there!

McFred

Re: May 13th Track Day in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Honda/Ecotec Atoms attending!

Post by McFred » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:55 pm

OMG this'll be fun! Hopefully the weather will be good.  Otherwise it will be awefully wet. :)

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:08 pm

That's a good looking Atom track nice and twisty. Is it hilly or flat?

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:19 pm

McFred... doesn't this track have some interesting walls?  :o Also, what's the Elevation?
Last edited by Bottoz on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McFred

Post by McFred » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:14 pm

John, there's maybe 30-40' of elevation change.  It's not really flat but iof you have a low torque car getting drive out of the first hairpin can be an excrutiating experience.  The large oval is higher than the surrounding track.

And Bottoz, yes the North end of the track does have a bit of concrete wall.  Just don't push it hard there and you should be fine. ;)  The photo's a few years old so don't go judging the track by the pic I posted.  That was in 2002.  There's been a lot of improvements to make it safer for both cars and people.

The elevation is about 5800'  :(  but it's fun nonetheless.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:36 am

Change your link to the track to this: http://www.sandiamotorsports.com/
the one you linked is just a domain squatter

McFred

Post by McFred » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:28 pm

oops.  thanks for catching that.  I'll edit it.

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:26 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Change your link to the track to this: http://www.sandiamotorsports.com/
the one you linked is just a domain squatter
[/quote]

I thought that that was a strange site it linked to. Totally irrelevant.  ???

What's a domain squatter as I've never heard that phrase before?
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:27 pm

[quote="Alec"]

What's a domain squatter as I've never heard that phrase before?
[/quote]

Someone who registers a domain with a name similar to what you want.  But instead just puts up a bunch of advertising.  If you ever accidentally type a webpage name wrong and end up on a page with a bunch of ads that's a domain squatter. 

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:42 pm

[quote="Alec"]
What's a domain squatter as I've never heard that phrase before?[/quote]

Here's another description
Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm

Cheers, you can learn so much here, and not all Atom related.  :tu:
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

4RTR

Post by 4RTR » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:55 pm

[quote="Alec"]
[/quote]

you have too much time on your hands Alec.

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:20 pm

[quote="4RTR"]
[quote="Alec"]
[/quote]

you have too much time on your hands Alec.
[/quote]

I know, it's just a pity that one of the few commitments I have coincides with your trip past Liverpool on your way to the Ring as I was looking forward to a short run with you.

Just thought, maybe I can catch you on the way back.

4RTR

Post by 4RTR » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:35 am

That would be good, however my wife is expecting a baby any day now so I might be in a hurry on the way back.....! It could be a nonstop run from Nurburg to Scotland hoping not to have to try the excuse to the police "my wife is having a baby"

I am only 3 hours away so we could meet somewhere in the middle at a later date, perhaps in the Lake District? Again, new baby may limit my playing time for a few months (as does the 'credits' I am using up escaping to the 'ring so close to the impending arrival!). So it may be the Atom has to take a low profile for a while. Still very keen on heading north later on this summer, having never been to that corner of Scotland before.