Coming to America!

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
Bruce Fielding

Coming to America!

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:29 am

Not really an event... but I'm coming to California next week.

I'll be around Santa Monica for the first half and up in the San Francisco area the second half - then probably off to Scottsdale for the week after for a small holiday.

I'd love to meet up with you guys...

Reason for visit? Obtaining funding for a great tech idea and we have one or two interested parties in the state who want to see us face to face!

PS. If you know of a great, part-time CTO, we're looking!

PPS. If you know of any great yet inexpensive places to stay in LA or SF, any recommendations welcome.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Flying Phil

Re: Coming to America!

Post by Flying Phil » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:30 am

Hey Bruce!
There's a private track day happening on the Sat. the 25th, just east of Tuscon. I'll be driving down from
Scottsdale the morning of, then back to Scottsdale the same evening. I have a spare seat, or you can follow us (Mark T. and Me) to the track. I've been lead to believe TMI (re: Mark Swain & company) will be there. Should be a great day. Hope you can join us?!

Anx

Post by Anx » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:02 am

Hey Bruce, as Phil mentioned, I'm in Phoenix and would love to get together - and if you can second seat with him on the track day, I'm sure you'd have a blast.  I'm actually a CTO, so if you'd like to get together and discuss things, I could see if I could help in some way, or might know someone who is a good fit.  Either way, it's always great to meet another Atom Club member - what dates are you going to be in Phoenix?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:28 pm

Brilliant!

The schedule looks like arriving in LA on the 18th, then off to San Francisco from the 22nd, then to Scottsdale for the 24th and staying for at least a few days...

I'll be going to have drinks at The Candy Store in Burlingame (where a mate is a member) probably on Thursday 23rd evening. Really looking forward to that.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:34 pm

[quote="Flying Phil"]
Hey Bruce!
There's a private track day happening on the Sat. the 25th, just east of Tuscon. I'll be driving down from
Scottsdale the morning of, then back to Scottsdale the same evening. I have a spare seat, or you can follow us (Mark T. and Me) to the track. I've been lead to believe TMI (re: Mark Swain & company) will be there. Should be a great day. Hope you can join us?!
[/quote]

Hey Phil! I'm definitely up for that. If possible I'd like to bring a friend... What sorts of cars are likely to be there?

Anx

Post by Anx » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:02 pm

Not sure what kinds of cars will be at the track, but it's supposed to be an awesome private track, so I'm sure there will be some cool ones.  The track is Indie Motorsports:

http://www.indemotorsports.com/

Atom-wise I only know about Phil and I, but I believe there will be a couple SRA cars/people there including one of the new 2014 ones.  I would offer your friend my passenger seat, by my GF already has dibs on it and I don't think she'd be too thrilled if I bumped her.  ;)  So if you want to bring your friend he'll need to caravan with us - but I doubt it's an issue, it's being put together by our Atom dealer (Forman Motor Works) and he's a great guy.

Upshift

Post by Upshift » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:44 pm

Bruce,

We (Forman MotorWorks) are putting on the Ariel SRA event in conjunction with TMI Autotech and INDE Motorsports Ranch to introduce the Atom to INDE track members.

If you are in town on the 25th, we would love to have you join us!  Just let me know how many in your party and I will pass this info along to those who need to know at the track.

In a related note, we have an Ariel display at the Barrett-Jackson event in Scottsdale running this week.  Any Atom owners or enthusiasts in the area are encouraged to stop by and say hi.

Thanks,
Franz Forman

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:33 pm

[quote="Anx"]
So if you want to bring your friend he'll need to caravan with us
[/quote]

He's a she... Marie Wold.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:49 pm

Track looks amazing!

Really looking forward to hooking up with you guys.

Oh, and for those that don't don't know me, I'm not the fuddy duddy that I might appear from the forum!

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:46 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Oh, and for those that don't don't know me, I'm not the fuddy duddy that I might appear from the forum!
[/quote]

True.  He is much worse in person ;)

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:51 am

My seat is open. My Google earth says 3 1/2 hours down. No windshield, but gun sights. Have two helmets with intercom. If you don't prefer a more comfortable ride, I can pick you up around 05:30 - :45 before heading to Anx's place.

Anx

Post by Anx » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:29 am

We can swap people around as well to mix it up... It will probably a be a bit cold in the morning, but lately the weather has been great, and the wildly speculative weather forecast is in the 70's to 80's during the day.  I can wait to check out the track also - should be good fun for everyone.  I'll also make sure to setup my GoPro and do a timelapse of the drive there, as well as get some good track shots for fun.

As Franz said, your guest is welcome, and a beautiful woman is more welcomed then most - not that it isn't cool having the legendary Bruce on our side of the pond.  ;)

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:48 am

...of course 'cold' is a relative term. It was -40 here (ºC/ºF) last week, so forgive me if I show up in tank top and bikini briefs (I have enough to share). :vroom:

Upshift

Post by Upshift » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:23 pm

[quote="Flying Phil"]
... so forgive me if I show up in tank top and bikini briefs (I have enough to share). :vroom:
[/quote]

I'm going to have a hard time getting that picture out of my head Philip!

Anx

Post by Anx » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:11 pm

If you want someplace funky to stay in SF - I like this place:

http://www.sfhoteldesarts.com/

But it's not the W, so keep that in mind - I believe it's a historic hotel that's been remodeled.  I prefer interesting/unique, and the location right downtown is handy. 

Personally I've been doing AirBNB more lately, and you can find some super cool places on there - especially in big cities.