WCA 3

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
CalScot

WCA 3

Post by CalScot » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:03 pm

I never organized anything for this year as I thought the Superfest was going and I did not want to dilute that event. Instead, I planned a road trip around the US myself, in August. With the Superfest cancelled, my effort as the new AAOC NA Secretary, it's time to look at interest in another West Coast Adventure.

I've had many thoughts about this as I really enjoy getting together and I'm always looking for an excuse. My initial idea was to change things from being a track centered event to a pure road trip, like the UK guys did/do across Europe. 3-5 days of driving and booking some neat B&B type hotels with good food and driving great roads. I'm still open on the details and we can still do both with some trips and some track time like last time at LS.

There are a couple of good dates available at Laguna Seca and Infineon in August or early September. Late July is also has some good choices. As like the last times, I would book this with a regular track day organizer so I do not handle the money or the headaches and it's not contingent on a minimum sign up.

Feedback on your general availability, the type of event you'd like and any other input over the next couple of weeks would be great. I can then suggest some specific dates and routes and wrap up a final date and schedule within 2 weeks from now.

Party on!

toms

Re: WCA 3

Post by toms » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:23 pm

:tu:

I really, really want to do one of these.......

:pop:

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:00 pm

I think a 3 day event like Atom X is ideal
Day 1: Nice canyon/country drive somewhere interesting, dinner
Day 2: Enduro karting race with a couple drivers per team. Also maybe something unrelated to Atom/cars would be fun...
Day 3: Track day

Late August/Early September seams perfect to me...

fiesty

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:58 pm

[quote="Tom"]
:tu:

I really, really want to do one of these.......

:pop:

[/quote]
Hopefully should have something dialed in and firm dates on this by the end of April with the details filling in as we get closer to the event giving you plenty time to schedule and book a flight.  ;)

Oh, and I'm hoping that the Atom V8 will be there as a friend of mine in SoCal (South OC to be exact) has his deposit to take delivery of the only West Coast V8. Tom will know more of when he's going to get it since he's making it but it's supposed to be in SoCal by July. Oh...and I'm going to get a drive in it too  :angel:

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:06 pm

I know northern Oregon is a ways for a lot of folks, but, Oregon Raceway Park is a great track, Oregon has a lot of great back roads (not near the track) and the Air Museum in McMinnville is cool

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:43 pm

[quote="Norm"]
I know northern Oregon is a ways for a lot of folks, but, Oregon Raceway Park is a great track, Oregon has a lot of great back roads (not near the track) and the Air Museum in McMinnville is cool
[/quote]
I did think of the ORP location. Better still would be California Speedway, as it it's 50 miles from me  :laugh:

By looking at LS or Infineon, we get a slightly more central location for the entire West Coast, a great location for other activities for anybody wanting to make a family trip out of it and a world class track experience. I also like Thunderhill as an idea but it's really in the middle of nowhere as far as other stuff goes and does not have the corkscrew  ;D

I think the potential for overall participation is higher if we do LS or Infineon. It's an 8 or 10 hour haul for us SoCal guys if we trailer. While not exactly meeting the Washington State group halfway, we are making some effort :angel:

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:57 pm

I'd like to suggest infineon - just because we did the whole LS thing last year.  Infineon is also almost exactly halfway between northern Oregon and Southern CA.  And, for anybody coming from Washington, feel free to drive down to Oregon and crash at my place the day before - Infineon is only a short 9.5 hours away for me.

I like Infineon better than LS anyway, coming out of the carousel and going flat out to the 180 turn at the end (turn 7 I think?)  makes me all tingly.

Another options, is Millermotorsports park in Utah.  Completely and totally out of the way for everybody on the west coast, and I doubt anybody except DP35 has done the track, so it would be a great way to level the field (you can't level the field with Darin involved anyway, so why bother).

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:10 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
I'd like to suggest infineon - just because we did the whole LS thing last year.  Infineon is also almost exactly halfway between northern Oregon and Southern CA.  And, for anybody coming from Washington, feel free to drive down to Oregon and crash at my place the day before - Infineon is only a short 9.5 hours away for me.

I like Infineon better than LS anyway, coming out of the carousel and going flat out to the 180 turn at the end (turn 7 I think?)  makes me all tingly.

Another options, is Millermotorsports park in Utah.  Completely and totally out of the way for everybody on the west coast, and I doubt anybody except DP35 has done the track, so it would be a great way to level the field (you can't level the field with Darin involved anyway, so why bother).

[/quote]

I have never run Infineon. I was scheduled to last year and studied the track big time online and through videos as best I could. I'm supposed to run it this year in late September with the F2000 so I'd love to do it in the Atom and get some extra bang for the buck and learn the track. If I were to be selfish, Infineon would get my own personal vote. It's also some of the worlds best wine country and I would get my wife to join me easier as we would do some tours and visit some folk too.

Miller would be fun. I'd love to run it. I have no idea if it would be something attractive to a large group of us though??

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:37 pm

You got a pretty good group at Reno-Fernley... don't forget how much pull you have my friend.

SaturnV

Post by SaturnV » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:46 pm

BIG thumbs up CalScot for making this happen. I SO regret not coming last year. I will not make the same mistake this time.

It would be a huge thrill to run at either Infineon or LS, so either one is great with me. And a tour with overnight stays sounds great also.

Either way, count me in.

Craig

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:49 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
Feedback on your general availability, the type of event you'd like and any other input over the next couple of weeks would be great. I can then suggest some specific dates and routes and wrap up a final date and schedule within 2 weeks from now.[/quote]

Don't forget the 1-day TMI event at VIR (August 22nd - link) - some people may be attending that and not be able to take vacation on two separate occasions in the same summer month. Obviously, VIR is a bit of a drive for you West Coast people, particularly for a one-day event, so this may not have much of an effect on WCA participation - I just figured I'd mention it.

My Atom is finally at Tom's in Oregon for some of his magic - despite signing a contract for transport in November 2010, the weather conspired to keep the Atom here until the spring thaw.

I'm not sure how long he'll have it for (I told him "no rush", and he's got a bunch of rush jobs right now as people need their cars prepped for the start of racing season). If I'm out there picking up the Atom sometime around the WCA 3 event, I'd love to participate for some of it. Obviously, driving the Atom back to NY and then driving out to CA and back again for WCA isn't practical. My travel plans this year include Yellowstone (I only got to spend 2 days there in 2007). So either Reno or Miller would work for me - I can convoy down with the other Oregon / Washington folks, and then go my own way after the track.

OTOH, if anyone wanted to come along to Yellowstone and then to Bighorn National Forest, you'd be in for a surprise. I've called Route 14 in Bighorn "America's Stelvio", and for good reason.

Karl

Post by Karl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:42 pm

My vote would be for Infineon, I like it better than Laguna and no sound problems. :)

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:12 am

I've yet to drive a track I didn't like, and I've driven every one mentioned thus far, and here's my $0.02:

Laguna Seca: Good track with great camping, but expensive, and we were just there.
Miller (Utah):  Great track, but a looong & boring drive, and talk about middle of nowhere.
Reno-Fernley: Very interesting but bumpy track, cheap enough to have to ourselves. Middle of nowhere & far from where most of us live. Had a blast there at WCA1.
Infineon/Sears Point: My favorite track, but does have plenty of walls to hit. Very popular, expensive, and hard to get in the summer. No camping AFAIK and zero shade in the pits. Near some nice country & one of the best mountain roads I know of. Closest to my house, which I like.
Thunderhill:  World class track without the glamorous prices. Two large shaded areas in paddock - good thing cause it's hot in the summer. Relatively safe track, not many walls & no sound issues.  Middle of nowhere, but closest to our northwestern friends & close for us in the Bay Area.  Some decent restaurants in the area that would love to have us. We might be able to find some good roads to the west, which would likely be cop free unlike Infineon's Wine Country area. NCRC has a weekend scheduled here in July, $179/day HPDE, or $100 to race (only place Atoms can race, racing license not required, just all safety gear). 

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:52 am

An early/mid July date might work for me, but I do have visitors from Scotland planned and that might be a deal killer for me depending on actual dates.

In a perfect world, I'd have a late July/early August date. Infineon first choice. Of course, it's not that easy.

Speedventures/trackmasters have a September 10th/11th slot at Infineon and late August dates at LS.
http://www.speedventures.com/events/eve ... spx?id=337

I've not had a chance to check every option available to us yet. I do agree that the LS sound thing is a PITA and I failed miserably last time with my so called "quiet" exhaust option so I'm not too keen on revisiting that debacle. As for walls at Infineon, I have zero issue with walls. Just don't look at them and don't hit them  :laugh: If they spook you, just take it easy to where you are comfortable and it's no problem...issue solved :)

positron

Post by positron » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:18 am

Peter, thanks for getting a hole shot on this project, you have my vote for reelection already. What you don't want your visitors to tell stories on you eh?

I've run all but Salt Lake and it's on my calendar in July.

LS is great but sound is problematic for all except the honda's, turbo's and yours truly.

Infineon pretty much has it all if you can be under the 103 dB sound, which is pretty loud. Walls not a problem unless you drive over one's head and if your are in the appropriate run group then it's a blast. Paddock dry camping has been free every time we've been for the soft asses and hard asses. Showers and toilets have been open all night. You just can't get back in after 10pm if you leave. Lots of things to do off track. Garages usually available for rent, not sure if they will let you bunk overnight. Do not suggest NASA weekend they overbook and it's a stampede with 50-70 cars on track and the paddock is a zoo.

Thunderhill is a great track with some electrical hook ups for the soft asses. 10 hour trip for the SoCal folks. Not much to do in town.

I'd pass on Reno, we've been there.. nothing there to go back for. Not worth the diesel for me to go back.

Willow Springs cheap enough, pretty fast track, 9 turns boring after first day, 2 miles past the middle of nowhere, too windy for the hard asses.

Fontana is pretty good but on the too far end for the rainy country folks. They have electrical but very seldom allow overnight camping.

I'd take Infineon mid summer, weather not too hot the times I've been. Carousel is the best part and is a thing of beauty if executed correctly. Can have weather in spring and fall. We got heavy rain for second day in March. They also sometimes have a autox in the paddock for those who wish to partake in the cone dodging. Sunday it was so wet they had a drift event instead of the autox.