Atom around the USA

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
CalScot

Atom around the USA

Post by CalScot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm planning a wee trip.  :)

From California across the Gulf States to Florida. Down to Key West, up the Eastern Seaboard to Maine then West to the Pacific North West and back down Pacific Coast Highway home.
The tentative route is about 12,000 miles with excursions as I'll likely do most of it on side roads. I plan on stopping every couple days for a day or two off as I feel like it and explore my way across this great country. I reckon it will take me about 4-5 weeks and possibly more. I'm looking at late July when I will start off.

I would be great to meet up with Atom owners along the way. Maybe some could join in for small portions of the trip. Side detours to local car meets/rally's or historic or interesting places are great and sort of what I was hoping to incorporate into the trip. Ideas and suggestions where I should go and things to see would also be great.

Bruce Fielding

Re: Atom around the USA

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:59 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
I'm planning a wee trip.  :)

From California across the Gulf States to Florida. Down to Key West, up the Eastern Seaboard to Maine then West to the Pacific North West and back down Pacific Coast Highway home.
The tentative route is about 12,000 miles with excursions as I'll likely do most of it on side roads. I plan on stopping every couple days for a day or two off as I feel like it and explore my way across this great country. I reckon it will take me about 4-5 weeks and possibly more. I'm looking at late July when I will start off.

I would be great to meet up with Atom owners along the way. Maybe some could join in for small portions of the trip. Side detours to local car meets/rally's or historic or interesting places are great and sort of what I was hoping to incorporate into the trip. Ideas and suggestions where I should go and things to see would also be great.

[/quote]

When I did the drive from NY to Tulsa I set myself three road trip rules.

1. Wherever I was a dusk, I'd find a B&B and stop there.

2. I would ask the owner of the B&B if there was anything in the vicinity worth visiting and go visit it.

3. I would detour off the route of there was a brown tourist attraction sign and go and visit. Subrule... I would ask the staff there if there was anything else worth seeing in the vicinity. but take a view on this.

That way I got to see the Frank lloyd Wright waterfall house, and some great motor museums, as well as a ride on the Hershey flume (no, really)
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

EricHowe

Post by EricHowe » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:17 pm

Hey Pete. If your coming through Dallas, you can stop at my gaff. I've just done a deal with a company in Irvine, Ca and expect to be visiting pretty regularly. Not too far from you I believe.

silver

Post by silver » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:50 pm

[quote="EricHowe"]
Hey Pete. If your coming through Dallas, you can stop at my gaff. I've just done a deal with a company in Irvine, Ca and expect to be visiting pretty regularly. Not too far from you I believe.
[/quote]

+1 for Dallas

PartTimer

Post by PartTimer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:50 pm

Sounds like quite a trip. Has anyone done the same round the UK? How far do you think it would be? By my reckoning, under 2000 miles if it were square but it's clearly not - so how much more if you take the coast roads?

SpatialThreat

Post by SpatialThreat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:14 am

DC here...  Keep us posted

Gage

Post by Gage » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:07 am

:tu:      :pop:      :tu:
                        EPIC.

spyder2114

Post by spyder2114 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:58 am

I don't yet have an Atom and although it may be possible by then, I doubt it will happen.  :'(

That aside I would love to meet-up as you pass through Florida. If I still have the Can-Am Spyder it might make for an interesting combo. Please keep us posted.

SaturnV

Post by SaturnV » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:03 pm

I am SO envious. This is the type of trip I would love to take.

There's a great group of guys here in the Pacific NW that I'm sure would make your pass through this area a fun one. Keep us posted.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:51 am

CalScot wrote: I'm planning a wee trip.  :)
About time... ;D
It is a lot of fun.

That's the way to do it - just get in the car and go. In my trips I've generally had at least a general route and schedule, so people would know where to meet me. It is a habit I got into when I picked up my Atom at Brammo in 2006 - there were so few Atoms around that lots of people wanted to meet up and see the car. I traveled 7700 miles just getting from Brammo in Oregon to New York City.
Ideas and suggestions where I should go and things to see would also be great.
A couple ideas on places to visit if you've never been there in an Atom -

o Yellowstone National Park - the combination of an Atom and the geothermal features is really neat.
o Bighorn National Forest - Route 14 up there could be called "America's Stelvio".
o Tail of the Dragon

You could also take a look at my Atom Across America blog for some other places to visit.
I'll be glad to show you some of the backwoods roads in my area. There's one that is sort of my "personal test track", which due to various complicated reasons has a default 50MPH speed limit, despite a number of hairpin turns and off-camber corners. Kind of like the redwood road we took during the WCA II coastal cruise.

I can also show you my top-secret lair, though since it is in the middle of a dense urban area, you wouldn't want to overnight the Atom here - it would probably be stolen. [My 2-car garage is full w/ BMW and Atom, plus my tenant's motorcycle and car].

dingo

Post by dingo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Excellent and I'm sure a Pacific NW convoy can be rustled up in short order.  Two Q's. How're you going to fuel the wee beast?  You don't run on pump gas, do you? #2 - Fenders ?  Some local LE officers might be a bit particular. 

kepetersen

Post by kepetersen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:24 am

When you firm up your Florida dates let me know. I'll gladly join up with you and show you some of our better touring roads. The drive to Key West is perfectly suited for the Atom and stands out as my favorite road trip.

beckertb

Post by beckertb » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:49 pm

I coming across I-10, I am just outside of Houston in Beaumont, TX.  I'd be delighted to put you and the Atom up for the night.  Perhaps we could take a jaunt over to MSR houston and track the cars for the afternoon??????

ben