Atom Superfest

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
RyanD

Re: Atom Superfest

Post by RyanD » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm in for a track day this summer at VIR during a Spec Atom race weekend.  :vroom:

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:16 pm

Late May through early September would be ideal.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:02 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
[/quote]

That window is good.  They should take into account, though, the two US holidays in late May and early September, Memorial Day and Labor Day (and there's Independence Day, too).

Scheduling the event over one of those holiday weekends may lose attendees because some people will already have plans.

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:48 pm

[quote="atomathics"]
Scheduling the event over one of those holiday weekends may lose attendees because some people will already have plans.
[/quote]

On the other hand you may actually GAIN just as many people if it was a holiday weekend. Some might look on it as a wholesome family holiday and more importantly, due to distances it might actually fit better when people are scheduling their vacations. Kinda hard to take a regular holiday and then within a short timeframe try to get a additional week off to drive halfway across the country... Much easier to tack several extra days onto the 3 or 4 you have already. Just a thought.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:59 pm

[quote="atomathics"]
[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
[/quote]

That window is good.  They should take into account, though, the two US holidays in late May and early September, Memorial Day and Labor Day (and there's Independence Day, too).

Scheduling the event over one of those holiday weekends may lose attendees because some people will already have plans.[/quote]

These types of dates at icon tracks like VIR are unobtainable.  In my area Laguna Seca and Infineon rarely have track days in the summer, because the tracks are so busy preparing for and hosting major events like IRL, ALMS, NASCAR, etc.  Summer weekends are even more difficult, and summer holiday weekends are the least available and most expensive.  I'm sure this is the reason that TMI was stuck with the fall dates it had for their Atomfest.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:02 pm

[quote="Driver"]
On the other hand you may actually GAIN just as many people if it was a holiday weekend. Some might look on it as a wholesome family holiday and more importantly, due to distances it might actually fit better when people are scheduling their vacations. Kinda hard to take a regular holiday and then within a short timeframe try to get a additional week off to drive halfway across the country... Much easier to tack several extra days onto the 3 or 4 you have already. Just a thought.
[/quote]

Not to be too much of a wet blanket, but VIR is a popular track and without an upfront guarantee, I can't see VIR allocating 2 (or more) summer days for an Atom event. That guarantee is going to come from TMI. I don't know that they'd want to be stuck with the bill if not enough people registered to justify the event. I believe that TMI said that if the now-canceled Superfest was successful, they could look at better dates in the future.

Maybe Dave or Mark can post some info on the probability of a summer event at VIR, since I don't have any inside info. I did rent a different track for exclusive use, so I have a general idea of the situation, though.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:51 pm

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
I believe that TMI said that if the now-canceled Superfest was successful, they could look at better dates in the future.
[/quote]

That's a shame, because it's a reverse Catch 22... by offering an apparently unsuitable date to start with it would seem the likelihood of a more acceptable date has been scuppered.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:44 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
That's a shame, because it's a reverse Catch 22... by offering an apparently unsuitable date to start with it would seem the likelihood of a more acceptable date has been scuppered.
[/quote]

We'd have to see if Dave or Mark says I'm remembering incorrectly. While unfortunate, it does seem to reflect the realities of the situation. I assume there were no better dates available for this year, and at a reasonable cost. So if this year's plans had never happened, TMI might have booked the track for 2 or more "prime season" days in 2010. It would have either have been a great success, or they would have been stuck with the bill for a track rental where almost nobody showed up.

Given the state of AtomFest II, where Randy was wondering if anyone was coming (2 months after he'd opened registration he had 3 sign-ups), I can see why TMI would be nervous.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:22 am

Here's a few options, all for 2012.

TMI should try picking a set of three mid-week days in June or July of 2012, one day using the big course, the other two using the smaller course.  With over a year to go and a better, summertime date, more people may make a deposit.

Make it a shorter event, one or two days on-track at VIR so it's not as big of a block of time for which TMI would be on the hook.  Set one day at the track, then a touring day, and then a skills / autocross day.  It's still a three-day event, but only one expensive trackday commitment.

Support a "Grand Tour".  Sponsor one or two track days at tracks outside, but within a day of VIR.  People coming in could do Track A, convoy to VIR for the two- or three-day, simplified event, then convoy to Track B.  If it's close enough, TMI could have their transporter presence at all events so it's like a traveling trackday party over a six-day period.

It doesn't have to be a full-on, three-day, full-VIR-course event to work, as long as it's at a good time of year.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Or just do what Peter does - I'll be at track "x" with wine and lots of meat for these three days, if you want to drive around the track, drink lots of beer, and generally have a good time, please sign up with the track organizer as soon as you can.

While it's "neat" to have nothing but atoms on track at one time, it really doesn't matter.  It's not like you're gonna stop and talk to the person you just passed  :vroom:

atomaker

Post by atomaker » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:03 pm

August 22/11 Atom Owners Track Day at VIR:

Hi All,

We're making some new arrangements for a single day track event.  Instead of us tying up the forum with this info, we're creating an 'Owners' tab on our website (www.arielatom.com).  It could also serve as a secondary location ('bulletin board') for us to post overview info regarding Atom events organized by other owners (i.e., please see our previous posting, etc.).  Please check our website within the next couple of days for full details on the new event, etc.  Our window of opportunity to confirm this new (summer) event here, based on your interest & advanced commitments, will be quite limited.

Best regards,

The TMI AutoTech Team

Gage

Post by Gage » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:09 pm

[quote="atomaker"]
August 22/11 Atom Owners Track Day at VIR:

Hi All,

We're making some new arrangements for a single day track event.  Instead of us tying up the forum with this info, we're creating an 'Owners' tab on our website (www.arielatom.com).  It could also serve as a secondary location ('bulletin board') for us to post overview info regarding Atom events organized by other owners (i.e., please see our previous posting, etc.).  Please check our website within the next couple of days for full details on the new event, etc.  Our window of opportunity to confirm this new (summer) event here, based on your interest & advanced commitments, will be quite limited.

Best regards,

The TMI AutoTech Team
[/quote]

Thanks TMI!    Great announcements!  Your level of involvement is such vast improvement and a night and day difference from what we've seen in the past.  Bravo!

Just stop it.   We'll all end up thinking the new U.S. Atom manufacturer really cares.     ;) ;D

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:30 pm

Unfortunately I couldn't commit myself and Nadine to attending the Superfest due to breaking my arm back in October. It's still not fully healed and I'm seeing another consultant next Tuesday for a second opinion after my GP and Physiotherapist became worried over the treatment I was receiving.

If things had started to improve I was going to jump in and book, but I'll see how they go next week and have a think about popping over for the August event as it would also be good to see the "Spec: RaceAtom" series running.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Sat May 07, 2011 12:01 pm

It's now a week past the deadline for the August 22 VIR track day.  Is it still on?

Mark Swain

Post by Mark Swain » Sat May 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Hi Ryan,

I just sent you an email.....