California Speedway, November 19th, 20th, 21st.

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
CalScot

Re: California Speedway, November 19th, 20th, 21st.

Post by CalScot » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:55 pm

I'm not signed up yet but I am planning both Sat & Sun. We get free timing and free garages from Speedventures so that helps out a bit.
I'm probably running the F2000 one day and the Atom the other assuming I can fix the F2000 car in time.

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:42 am

Speedventures has cancelled Saturday because of the big rain storm this weekend.
Sunday is also 60% chance of rain.

Due to lack of rain tires(bad prep on my part), I think I am out for Sunday as well. Got tons of work to catch up on anyway.

So bummed, was really looking forward to this event.  :'(

fiesty

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:20 am

Yes it will indeed rain this weekend and Saturday is cancelled.

Sunday however is still on and if it runs, I will be there. Sure it might be wet and for sure it will be cold (For CA) but I refuse to surrender to anything, not least the rain. So I will have rain gear, I will bag up the ECU, I will have spare dry clothes and I will drive like a man on a mission, seeking out the 4" of standing water only the infield section of Cal Speedway can provide. I will revel in it like a pig in the mud and I will enjoy every damn minute of it. My Atom will excel or it will die, for this is the way of the world, as it was meant to be!

A second bottle of Cabernet on a Friday night really does ellicit some serious pish eh ?  :laugh:
Last edited by CalScot on Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:11 am

:pop:

Good news is, in CA if it does rain, you'll be the only one on the track, LOL.

Mota Leira

Post by Mota Leira » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:53 am

Had a great time on my first day at the track in the Atom.

I'm no expert and can't tell much about what the correct tire pressure is etc, but I see why all you guys have been telling me to drop the Yokohamas and get with the Toyos because I did feel like I had less grip than some cars in front of me. I also felt that the tires took longer to warm up than I was used to from the M3 and for the other cars out there. They were all pushing to the limit before the second lap even while I didn't feel comfortable pushing it until some time into the third lap.

Positive surprises: I didn't get any helmet lift or experience any Clarkson-face-syndrome. Comfort was excellent. I found the car to be perfectly stable at any speed (went up to 145mph). My biggest concern was that because of it's rear weighting it would flip 180 on me quickly and unpredictably, but I actually thought it handled very well in that regard. I put the tail out several times pushing a little too hard in some turns, but was able to bring it back nicely.
I didn't have very good lines, but it must have looked cool to whomever was behind me:)

My goal on Friday was to just get a better feel for the car at the limits - what would happen when I started sliding. In the fourth and last session I finally got a good rythm down. Next time I'm going to get an instructor (or one of you more experienced guys) to show me how it's really done.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:37 am

Mota - congrats on your 1st track day in the Atom.  You are now forever changed. 

About the tires, I doubt you'll notice much difference with the Toyos.  If you want to fix the problem of too hard of a tire for a car this light, the best way to do that is with the Hoosier A6, Hankook C71, or similar autocross compound DOT (street legal) slick.  If you live in SoCal you won't have to worry about driving the Atom in the rain, which is about the only thing those other tires are good for.

Mota Leira

Post by Mota Leira » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:40 am

[quote="dp35"]
Mota - congrats on your 1st track day in the Atom.  You are now forever changed. 

About the tires, I doubt you'll notice much difference with the Toyos.  If you want to fix the problem of too hard of a tire for a car this light, the best way to do that is with the Hoosier A6, Hankook C71, or similar autocross compound DOT (street legal) slick.  If you live in SoCal you won't have to worry about driving the Atom in the rain, which is about the only thing those other tires are good for.
[/quote]

Thanks for that advice.

What I've been told by instructors at track events in the past is that the Hoosier tires (or similar) should really only be used by very experienced drivers because they give little warning before spinning you out. In other words, Yokohamas and Toyos will screech and give you a longer warning before they spin you (intermediate racers obviously need more progressive feedback and longer time to react than experts).