Official AtomFest 15, 16 & 17 September 2009 information is here . . .

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
Caroline

Re: Official AtomFest 15, 16 & 17 September 2009 information is here . . .

Post by Caroline » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:43 am

Drama in the desert...Broken down 30 miles east of Flagstaff with a broken tow hitch.  :o Luckily the hitch held and we didn't lose the trailer...phew. Thank god for the internet too, we were able to find a bloke to come out and try to weld the hitch. Him and Peter are out there now having a go.

In other news Feisty is stranded further along the road somewhere west of Kingman with a broken tranny.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:34 am

^ If it makes you feel better - I'm home now.  Hope you get it all sorted soon.  I'm picturing Peter taking the welder from its owner & showing him how its done, while telling an amazing welding story at the same time.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:25 am

[quote="dp35"]
^ If it makes you feel better - I'm home now.  Hope you get it all sorted soon.  I'm picturing Peter taking the welder from its owner & showing him how its done, while telling an amazing welding story at the same time.
[/quote]

The track day is over.. you won Darin.. you didn't have to beat them all home too  :laugh:

AndyLUFC

Post by AndyLUFC » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:30 am

[quote="AtomGirl"]
Drama in the desert...Broken down 30 miles east of Flagstaff with a broken tow hitch.  :o Luckily the hitch held and we didn't lose the trailer...phew. Thank god for the internet too, we were able to find a bloke to come out and try to weld the hitch. Him and Peter are out there now having a go.

In other news Feisty is stranded further along the road somewhere west of Kingman with a broken tranny.
[/quote]

Good luck to all of you! That sucks.

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:51 am

[quote="AtomGirl"]

[/quote]

I made it home finally. Definitely a gearbox and overheating issue.
Hope you, atomatics, and Calscot have no issues tomorrow.

Fiesty

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:40 am

[quote="fiestycolumbian"]
I made it home finally. Definitely a gearbox and overheating issue.
Hope you, atomatics, and Calscot have no issues tomorrow.
[/quote]

That was on your tow vehicle, right? So you at least had the Atom to go get help if you were in the middle of nowhere.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:00 pm

One nice thing about living in Arkansas - It's only 3 hours from AtomFest! We're all unloaded and stowed and I just finished assembling all the photos on my Mac - 5,194! I'm sure we'll have more before we're done. NOw beginning the work of sorting, arranging, pruning, etc. Should have some ready to post in a few days.

[img width=800 height=136]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... orama1.jpg[/img]

This photo was taken on Thursday morning. One car was broken and two had gone home to meet other obligations. Official Atom count = 21
Last edited by 1965Cobra427 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricHowe

Post by EricHowe » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Good to hear that you guys got home safely.
Last edited by EricHowe on Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:38 pm

It was great to see owners again from AF as well as meet new owners. It is amazing the effort people have to go thru to attend; flying overseas, driving from the coasts, pulling caravans of trailers, driving for days, and then have to do it again to get back home.
  The people is what it's about, as much as the track time in the cars. I had a great time learning more about the cars and the people.
  Randy did a great job organizing this event!  He was so concerned that I had a great time there, that when I was driving out to the gate for home, he chased me down in his motorcycle to ask if I had enjoyed it. He even offered me his Atom to drive a session with.
  Thanks to Randy, TMI, Unique-Fabricating (Tom Smurzynski & his wife Judy), Lamp family & company, Yokohama tire reps., Hallett track workers, food caterers, repair shop mechanics, Tim Webb, Gin Palace Motel (CalScot-Pete), Terry Kennedy, Positron-Dennis, and everyone for making it a great few days (and answering what must have seemed like my endless questions).   

Last edited by Radowick on Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:12 am

Just made it home, 1500 miles in the Atom, from Hallett to California...

Could NOT have done it without help from CalScot and his mobile Atom support system (aka The Gin Palace)!

Great times with so many people... and great to put faces to the forum names... twebb, FourFather, Marcus, Tom and Judy Smurzynski, Terry Kennedy,  Eric Howe, dp35, Gage, McFred, wmcmanus, curt, spanky, Driver, and Alec, Nadine, and, of course, Richard Marler, making the journey from the UK.  I know I've left some off, so apologies...

And it was great to see those I've been fortunate enough to meet before: AtomGirl (get home soon!), fiesty, hondahamster...

TMI came through in a big way for Atom 2 and Atom 3 customers.  Brent, Rob, Kyle, Mark and Dave put in a lot of big hours keeping everyone up and running while the rest of us were out flogging Atoms on the track.  The TMI compound was something to be seen.

Hallett staff, from safety and corner staff all the way up to management were great.  The hype's true, the people at Hallett made the event.

Biggest thanks, of course, go to Randy.  For those that have never made an Atomfest, the amount of prep, the level of professionalism, and the care and passion of the event staff is just absolutely, positively brilliant.

One hell of a trip.  From an Atomfest (and Atom) noob, thanks to each and every one of you!

a
Last edited by atomathics on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:38 am

I finally made it home at 2 am this morning. The gin palace broke down again around Needles and at the time it looked terminal (alternator). As  we were not far from Barstow where Peter was going to drop me off I took off in the atom like a rat deserting a sinking ship! Thankfully after Peter had tinkered around with it for a while they got it going again and made it home.

It was a real adventure! I had a bloody great time despite or perhaps because of all the tribulations of getting there and back. I would especially like to thank;

Randy who made the whole thing possible, he pulled off an amazing event that I will always remember. What a super nice guy!

Peter without whom I would never have made it, he got us there and back in one piece, battled through many and varied difficulties, showed gracious hospitality and dragged my atom half way across the country as I sat back in the recliner and relaxed like the Queen of Sheba!

Mark, Brent, Rob, Kyle and Dave of TMI who built me an utterly fantastic car,  showed up with a spectacular presence and fixed many cars quickly and with good grace so people could maximise their track time. Everyone who drove any of the new Atom 3s were very impressed with the build quality and performance. They are doing a great job!

All the people of Hallett who let us invade them for a week, great group of people...I have great affection for the chicken song now!

Chris for his camaraderie in the gin palace and his extensive bar tending skills!

Tim, Tom and Richard for being brave enough to go out on track with me and help me be a better driver.

Everyone else who came and made it what it was, it was lovely to meet so many faces off the forum...except for Darren he just a tosser!  ;D

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:53 am

In addition to Chris picking up track skills in his new tom he has also learned to cook with it.

As we were driving in convoy through Oklahoma City Peter and I were in the RV when we suddenly saw a huge, and I mean huge pile of meat looming up on us from the middle of the road. I think it must have been and unfortunate dog or other large animal that had been hit by a car. How we laughed as we ran over it from our lofty position in the RV imagining Chris following on behind us who would have suddenly have seen this huge pile of gore emerge from the back of the RV and who would have had no chance of avoiding it whatsoever. A few miles later we stopped and Chris had been able to turn the raw meat into Atomic jerky...he should write a cook book for the atom  ;D
Attachments
gore2.jpg
gore2.jpg (31.26 KiB) Viewed 472 times
gore1.jpg
gore1.jpg (32.95 KiB) Viewed 470 times

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:01 am

2 punctures, 4 new tyres, a broken hitch and numerous alternations...less is more!
Attachments
LIM.jpg
LIM.jpg (20.86 KiB) Viewed 470 times
weld.jpg
weld.jpg (22.33 KiB) Viewed 474 times
punct.jpg
punct.jpg (24.15 KiB) Viewed 465 times

AndyLUFC

Post by AndyLUFC » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:04 am

Bloody Hell! It's Priscilla, Queen of the Desert! What a Wagon!

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:08 am

[quote="AndyLUFC"]
Bloody Hell! It's Priscilla, Queen of the Desert! What a Wagon!
[/quote]

You should see what Peter can do with a ping pong ball  :H: