Run this week anybody?

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
CalScot

Run this week anybody?

Post by CalScot » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:43 pm

It's forecast to be in the high 80's here this week and that's along the coast. Crystal clear and fantastic weather.

I need another wee jaunt and I'm hoping to be off like a whore's knickers on Thursday up the coast and over to Yosemite and back down hwy 395.
Anybody interested??

This was the same time, same place, same weather 2 years ago
[img width=800 height=600]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee12 ... CF2194.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee12 ... 2232-1.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee12 ... CF2213.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee12 ... 0622-1.jpg[/img]

[img width=450 height=600]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee12 ... CF2230.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee12 ... CF2243.jpg[/img]

nickpoore

Re: Run this week anybody?

Post by nickpoore » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:53 pm

Would love to - but have plans on Friday & Sunday.
Hmm, Friday night can be moved, but have Dr's appointment in the dah.  Doh.
Last edited by nickpoore on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:20 pm

You really have it tough over there......how jealous can a man be.......looks bloody amazing !
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:37 pm

Took off on Friday before 6am and headed up the coast. The weather was totally perfect. The clearest I have seen it in many years. Met Nicholas in Ventura, just north of the Harbor (think "Ventura Highway" by the pop group "America") We had breakfast and we were off up PCH. Up the coast past Santa Barbera and the views were stunning with weather so clear you felt you could reach out and touch the Channel Islands 30 miles offshore. Temps were mid 70's and the  feeling was of freedom and liberty that only the Atom can provide with the wind in your hair and the open road ahead.

When we got to Moro Bay, the coastal fog was looming ahead and my heart sank just a bit. Having run up that coast several times this year with heavy fog almost every time, it was deflating and especially in contrast to the perfect weather we had up to that point. The fog stayed on the coast all the way up to Monterey and beyond. It's still a great drive, even in the fog so we were still lucky to be out driving and not working. The usual cadre of onlookers and curious folks made the stops as colorful as always. Nick's car broke down just north of Monterey as we were trying to make it north of Santa Cruz to see the coastal Redwoods before heading off across the state to the Sierras. He had a weak battery all day requiring a few push starts but we planned on getting a new one along the way. After the car died on the freeway we were a bit late getting the battery. Even the AAA guy could not jump start it. Perplexing issue at the time but sitting on a crowded rush hour road with cars flying past inches away was no place to contemplate auto repairs. We eventually push started mine after I donated my battery to Nick's. Fortunately, we were close to civilization and a Napa Auto store and hotel so we planned to stay the night and hold off and fix a few things before heading off again. A quick inspection found the culprit on Nicks's car. The main alternator lead was not bolted up; just hanging on, barely making contact. Fixed that and we were all good to go.

Saturday saw us head to Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. As we climbed up into the mountains, at about 3,000ft, the rain started. It rained solid for the next 4-5 hours. At 8,000ft, we were totally freezing and soaked. The giant trees were spectacular but it was bitterly cold and wet. The water temp on my Atom normally runs in the mid 80*c range but it was running at 38*c through the high elevation colder sections. The snow was a good indicator that we needed to get out of the mountains before hypothemia got us. We got down the mountains and dried out a bit at a gas station and them made it into Bakersfield after a few more hours driving.A hot shower, dry clothes, a good steak and beer soon had us back to normal.

Made it home Sunday lunch time afer a dry and uneventful run home in time to watch all the recorded GP practice, qualifiying and race.

Another great wee trip really. Thanks Nick for the terrific company and jovial acceptance of the wet and freezing conditions. Only wish we could do it more often. I'm up for it every weekend :laugh:  I'll try and get some pictures up soon.

Kinda makes me want to get right back out there! I'm seriously considering a MAJOR road trip next year around the entire USA. From SoCal to the Florida Keys along the gulf coast. Up the eastern seaboard, through some portions Canada, travel along the Luis & Clarke route to the Pacific and back down the coast. I'm already thinking logistics and timing. Most likely August of 2011.
Last edited by CalScot on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:08 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
Kinda makes me want to get right back out there! I'm seriously considering a MAJOR road trip next year around the entire USA. From SoCal to the Florida Keys along the gulf coast. Up the eastern seaboard, through some portions Canada, travel along the Luis & Clarke route to the Pacific and back down the coast. I'm already thinking logistics and timing. Most likely August of 2011.
[/quote]

Im in!  ;D Can we tie this into Atom Superfest?

fiesty

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:12 pm

[quote="fiestycolumbian"]
[quote="CalScot"]
[/quote]

Im in!  ;D Can we tie this into Atom Superfest?

fiesty
[/quote]
I had forgot about that! Could be a perfect excuse to do it, not that I needed an excuse  ;D

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:12 pm

With everything going on in my life right now, I'm incredibly envious of your trip.  I need to find a way to escape for a couple of days I think, rain or shine...