Who is driving (as opposed to trailering) their Atom to AtomFest?

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:58 am

Just curious. I'll start -

Terry Kennedy - driving from New York

Gage

Re: Who is driving (as opposed to trailering) their Atom to AtomFest?

Post by Gage » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:29 pm

We drove ours to Hallet to race with Randy at an event before the first Atomfest.  At the track we beat the daylights out of our 205hp Atom and it never broke a sweat.  7 plus hours there was nothing compared to your trip.  It also snowed rained and sleeted on the way home, however...we loved every minute of it.  If I get my new project car up and running in time, (highly unlikely) I 'll drive it to Hallet.

But back to the actual owners...  ;)

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:39 am

[quote="Gage"]
It also snowed rained and sleeted on the way home, however...we loved every minute of it.[/quote]

Absolutely. As Bob Seger sings: "those are the memories that make me a wealthy soul"

Some of them were unpleasant or scary at the time, but will be remembered with a smile for a lifetime:

o Making a wrong turn on the way to Crater Lake and needing to backtrack for a total of 100 miles of off-course driving, but enjoying every minute of it
o The 405 freeway in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic with no clutch
o Driving around in the Superstition mountains in pitch blackness - I knew there was a cliff w/ no guardrail there, I just couldn't see it
o Pulling into Albuquerque with 3" of muddy water slopping around in the tub
o Nearly freezing to death in Bighorn National Forest
o A torrential thunderstorm on the open deck of a ferry 6 miles from the nearest land (which is where I came up with the "that's why they call them bucket seats" line)
o Pulling over, 4 feet from a buffalo (yes, that's the Atom's passenger-side frame rail in the bottom of the pic) to take a picture:

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:45 pm

Terry, when are you planning on leaving New York? One possibility for me is to fly into New York, rent a car and take a slowish drive down. If I do that, maybe we can convoy for some of the journey? I won't be in an Atom obviously, but will try to rent something  convertible.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:04 pm

[quote="Richard Marler"]
Terry, when are you planning on leaving New York? One possibility for me is to fly into New York, rent a car and take a slowish drive down. If I do that, maybe we can convoy for some of the journey? I won't be in an Atom obviously, but will try to rent something  convertible.
[/quote]

My tentative itinerary is posted here (small PDF).

I'll be doing a straight drive across and down on the Interstates. On the way back, I'll be meandering around various parts of the south.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:23 pm

Roadtrip! Too bad I'm stuck here 2 hours from the track! If I weren't so busy, I'd fly out and join up with one of the groups heading to the 'fest.

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:06 pm

Bit of a thread hijack, but does anyone want their Atom driving to Atomfest?
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

positron

Post by positron » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:25 pm

Past Atomfest farms the sufferer. Why can't trailer reach Atomfest? A robot wrongs the fantastic queen behind an export. Trailer provokes Atomfest beside the dashed force.