Rover Antics LED lights etc...

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 19, 2009 8:50 pm

thanks for that link...I just found the perfect reverse light and license plate light....shipped for under 50UK

that converts the last remaining lights on my car to LED and I don't have to replace the melted housing on my reverse light from when my exhaust blew out.

Mods Note: Split topic from oiginal For Sale thread here.
Last edited by silver on Tue May 19, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue May 19, 2009 8:52 pm

[quote="silver"]
thanks for that link...I just found the perfect reverse light and license plate light....shipped for under 50UK

that converts the last remaining lights on my car to LED and I don't have to replace the melted housing on my reverse light from when my exhaust blew out.
[/quote]

Careful - I'm the person who "also bought" the 80mm square white LED, and it arrived broken (one row of LEDs didn't light). Tim promised to send me a replacement, and a free license plate light for my troubles. Never happened. I got the last one and they weren't re-ordered for ages.

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 19, 2009 8:54 pm

well.....too late for that, cuz I already purchased............bummer...I guess we'll wait and see, and if not delivered I'll have my credit card deny the charge...thanks for the heads up.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue May 19, 2009 8:56 pm

[quote="silver"]
well.....too late for that, cuz I already purchased............bummer...I guess we'll wait and see, and if not delivered I'll have my credit card deny the charge...thanks for the heads up.
[/quote]

I think Tim is doing the best he can - he doesn't seem to charge credit cards until he's ready to ship the items, and he has done exchanges for people who have had failures. The problem comes when he doesn't have anything to replace a failed unit with.

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 19, 2009 8:58 pm

FWIW each unit showed stock on the website of 7-9 units, not back ordered.............don't know if that's reliable but it at least looks to be plenty of stock

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue May 19, 2009 9:00 pm

[quote="silver"]
FWIW each unit showed stock on the website of 7-9 units, not back ordered.............don't know if that's reliable but it at least looks to be plenty of stock
[/quote]

I think that is updated manually (or at least gets out-of-sync with reality on occasion) - when I tried to re-order the Atom lights, it said 21 units in stock, but then Tim called me (from the UK) to explain the situation.

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 19, 2009 9:02 pm

got it.....no wonder no one made a fuss about these lights being avail for reverse and license plate :'(

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Tue May 19, 2009 9:11 pm

I've been very happy with my setup from clearcorners.com

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 19, 2009 9:15 pm

yeah but I didn't want to spend $800 bux on a back up light. :D

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue May 19, 2009 9:18 pm

[quote="The Masked Spaz"]
I've been very happy with my setup from clearcorners.com
[/quote]

At $2100 for all 4 corners they had better be nice... :o

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 19, 2009 9:25 pm

HOLY $HIT I WAS FU#$@ING JOKING....LOOKS LIKE I WAS EXACTLY RIGHT...

If that's how much they have to cost to make a profit, that just sucks for the guys who make them...I'm sure they are nice guys and it's a nice product but when it comes down to it, a project such as LED lights should be job cost analyzed before something like that happens.......

that's a set of LED's for $2900 bux....I hope this doesn't come off as me being an a$$ but at least to compare, my LED conversion cost about $200 for all 4 corners, LED specific flasher, LED reverse light, and LED license plate light......and they all fit in exactly the stock locations and are the approximate stock sizes.

So for a 1 off product I understand Spaz having commissioned them to do it, but, it's not for me.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 19, 2009 9:34 pm

With my new found LED contuction knowledge from my shift lights I should try making my own brake lights. 

$2100 would get you a Harrop + parts

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue May 19, 2009 9:34 pm

[quote="silver"]
So for a 1 off product I understand Spaz having commissioned them to do it, but, it's not for me.
[/quote]

For an inexpensive solution, you can buy the "good" lamp housings (that Brammo didn't use) here. Then you can get one of several different kinds of drop-in LED replacements here. Once you find a set you're happy with, use something like silicone to seal the LED lamp assembly to the housing.

In fact, I have one each of all of the possible LED lamps from that company here and will be doing some tests to see which ones fit and provide the best results (brightness and angle of view).

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 19, 2009 9:41 pm

Hey Terry, what do you think our combined Atom knowledge is?  I bet we could write a good sized book on all the details and parts and options and service info of the Brammo made Atom.  :)

(thanks for those links)

dingo

Post by dingo » Tue May 19, 2009 9:42 pm

I thought I'd posted this link www.safelightstore.com but perhaps not here.

These are working well for me behind clear (stock) lenses.  

The only complaint I'd level is that they are a bit too "trick" for their own good.

They have three modes.

Low intensity = running light no braking
high intensity = braking
high intensity and rapid blinking = heavy braking

Apparently the accelerometer is standardized to a Ford Excursion or similar.

Virtually all braking I do is sensed as a panic stop, so it sends the light into high intensity and rapid blink mode.

So for anyone following, it can be a bit disconcerting.

Are the intermittently failing?  No, they're designed to do that.
Last edited by dingo on Tue May 19, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.