I'm hatching an idea.....Do you hate heel and toe? Purists, don't read this!

Alec

Re: I'm hatching an idea.....Do you hate heel and toe? Purists, don't read this!

Post by Alec » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:44 pm

[quote="unknown"]
I don't follow you on putting the clutch in and causing a spin.There will be no engine braking and the car will be freewheeling.Clutch it and foot on the brake.No problems. Not the same as lifting mid corner... :o
[/quote]

There wasn't really any time left to do other than steer into the bend without hitting other vehicles so I was concentrating on missing them, the rock face and the railings between me and the drop into the pass.

I'll try the clutch next time and hopefully let you know if it works.  ;)
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: I'm hatching an idea.....Do you hate heel and toe? Purists, don't read this!

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:32 am

No. You do, and I won't let you drive Goldfinger  8)

tarsman013

Post by tarsman013 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:36 am

[quote="bolus"]
of course the only problem with that is if the throttle decides to stick wide open.  hopefully there isn't a brick house in front of you at the time
[/quote]

too soon man too soon  :(  :-\

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:43 am

Im not making a joke about it, just saying it is a real concern about a stuck throttle.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:44 am

My advice is..don't point your car at brick walls. :D

tarsman013

Post by tarsman013 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:34 am

[quote="bolus"]
Im not making a joke about it, just saying it is a real concern about a stuck throttle.
[/quote]

still its like, it has already happened once, yes the both feet in technique might work, thats if you are clearly thinking at the time, as we have all read, it isnt always the case

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:57 am

If you are behind the wheel of your car,you should be clearly thinking 100% of the time,unless you are parked in your driveway.  That is the problem out on the streets today;too many thimkers... :P

tarsman013

Post by tarsman013 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:16 pm

but what happens when you panic?

if people thought at 100% while driving, you would never hear of any problems, but when people panic, they cannot think straight :-D

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Just like oversteer on the track.  I have to physically fight mightself to not hit the brake.  It is a engrained learned behavior. 

If my car lurched forward at 100% throttle for no reason, I'm really sure my mind would have at least 1/2 a second "WTF just happened" and then another 1/2 second of denial and then another second of deciding to slam on the brakes and another 3 seconds of "I should hit the ignition."

By then Im going 120 mph

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:08 pm

I don't panic while driving. Nope,never. Well,maybe if a set of blue flashing lights are close in the mirror and I am doing something illegal. :angel:

Bolus, braking on oversteer?? Ummm....no. You need more seat time. Get yourself a go-kart for the dirt,and practice,practice,practice till you NEVER have that urge to apply brakes in an oversteer situation. Even a full lift off the throttle will get you in trouble. This is something you must learn. I have spent a LOT of my life running around in the dirt and learned at an early age you don't use the brakes unless your car/bike is straight.(unless you are trying to initiate rotation..or are  crashing) Some trail braking is about the only exception to the rule,and is a skill that can be applied to any vehicle that has some handling abilities.

Seriously,learning how to drive fast in an Atom will be very tough for most. The car is edgy and demands respect.It does not forgive bad imputs. It was not designed to be driven poorly.

If someone hops in an Atom and expects it to handle like a Mustang, they are in for a rude awakening.

There are only two people I would consider allowing to drive my Atom on track (that I personally know) ;one drives a Formula Enterprise car and the other a Locost. Both have similar handling to the Atom in my opinion.Both of those drivers I am sure could cope with the Atom.

Panic is the inability to cope with a situation due to a loss of control.  So,learn to control your car. Simple as that.

Good drivers react. Great drivers anticipate   ;D   
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:32 pm

My brain says "dont lift" my foot says "F-U, I'm braking"   That's what I get for driving 20 some odd years before ever getting on a track.  I know how to drive the track, where to brake, where to accelerate, how to manage oversteer and understeer, toe and heel, entry-apex-exit, left foot braking techniques, in slow out fast and all that stuff.    I just dont have it encoded in my reflexes yet. 

But I've never been off track and the only spin I had was on purpose on an autoX track.  I respect the car and know my ability level. 

Oh, I bet you dont drive around anticipating that your car will lurch forward without your input

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:03 pm

You would be surprised what I anticipate. Especially driving out amongst the drones of the World. Have to.They panic,and do some stupid things.
On track,I feel safe in comparison.It is a much more controlled enviorment.
When I walk a new track,I look at all the areas on and off track that I should NEVER get involved with.(ditches,mud,barriers,railings,walls etc) I memorize as many escape areas that I possibly can in critical areas.(access roads,gravel traps,coned off areas,etc)
After my first day on that track at speed,I try to walk the track again and visualize any potential areas where there will be no escape zones,and I avoid making any consequential moves in these on track areas that have the potential to take me off track.
Once I feel comfortable with a pace,I will start to explore boundaries to the point where I am not comfortable. And try again..and again.
Second by 1/2 second,your times get faster.
Untill,you are out of time or energy.   

This is how I like to drive. 8)       I consider myself a good driver,going toward greater,cautiously.

Is it spring yet!? ;)

silver

Post by silver » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:06 pm

[quote="unknown"]

Is it spring yet!? ;)
[/quote]

it is in Texas!!!!

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:08 pm

no matter how much anticipation you have, you still had a delayed reaction time from your semicircular canals detecting acceleration, to that signal getting to your brain to the nerve impulse traveling to your foot to the time it takes to move your foot.  

All I'm saying is that Atom is the kind of car that can do all kind of damage in that 1/8th to 1/2 second it takes  to react to a completely unexpected response.

what was this thread about anyway?

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:19 pm

"what was this thread about anyway " 

I don't know...but I am having fun ;) 

Seriously,driving in the dirt will help your asphalt track skills. You must overcome dangerous impulses.

Eventually,after enough spins and such,you learn what will keep you moving foreward. 

Most great drivers learned their skills in the dirt. It is a pretty safe medium for learning the edge of control.

If you don't practice something,you will never get better at it.